Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #15781
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The only thing I enjoyed (nostalgically) was seeing Frankie Thomas as Ted (not Ned) Nickerson as he was the actor who played the title role in my very first favorite TV show, Tom Corbet Space Cadet (1950-1955) which was based on Heinlein's YA novel, Space Cadet and was just as far off base concerning the book it was based on as was this so-called Nancy Drew movie.
Have you noticed the new version of the "Tom Corbett Omnibus" (two "tt"s in "Corbett", by the way!) that I uploaded to the MR library a couple of days ago?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #15782
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Tom Corbett Omnibus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you noticed the new version of the "Tom Corbett Omnibus" (two "tt"s in "Corbett", by the way!) that I uploaded to the MR library a couple of days ago?
, I just downloaded it and it looks great! I see I misspelled Corbett (I typed it with 2 t's at first then deleted the second t, oh well!). I've never read any of these before so it'll be a treat. Maybe I'll intersperse them with the Nancy Drew reads I'm doing. The guy on the cover of the first selection, Stand By For Mars! doesn't look a bit like Frankie Thomas!

Suburb work, as always, Harry!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #15783
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #15784
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Carey Rockwell & Dana Stabenow

Quote:
I very much enjoyed reading The Password to Larkspur Lane. And I also I enjoyed reading and liked A Night Too Dark a whole bunch.

Now it's on to the 11th Nancy Drew Mystery Story, The Clue of the Broken Locket by Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt) and The 18th (this is really the last one) of Tony Hillerman's Navajo Mysterys, The Shape Shifter.:
The last novel, The Shape Shifter (#18) of Tony Hillerman's, Navajo Mysteries was a real good read. I really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed #11 of the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, The Clue of the Broken Locket a lot.

This time, instead of the next Nancy Drew Mystery, I'm going to try the first novel in the Tom Corbett Omnibus, Stand by for Mars! by Carey Rockwell. Also I'm reading Dana Stabenow's 18th Kate Shugak Mystery, Though Not Dead.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #15785
blackcat
Connoisseur
blackcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD, Ipad 4
Just finished The Reality Dysfunction - need a break from that so now reading Oryx and Crake
blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #15786
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've just finished "At Home" by Bill Bryson. This is a very interesting book. In it, Bill Bryson basically explores the history of why our homes are the way they are, and looks at the interesting and often unexpected history of every room in the house, and why it ended up the way it did. Highly recommended.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #15787
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: A Few Good Men by Sarah A. Hoyt. The third in her "DarkShip" series. Looking very good so far.
And very good it was too.

One from my backlog now: Interzone #214, February 2008, bought in July 2008!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #15788
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next will be Fire and Ice by Dana Stabenow, the first Liam Campbell mystery. I have enjoyed her other books so hopefully this is as good as the Kate Shugak books.
I enjoyed it, not quite as much as the KS books, but well enough. I will look into continuing the series at some point. For now it is on to Second Star to get back into some science fiction.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #15789
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
I've just finished "At Home" by Bill Bryson. This is a very interesting book. In it, Bill Bryson basically explores the history of why our homes are the way they are, and looks at the interesting and often unexpected history of every room in the house, and why it ended up the way it did. Highly recommended.
Totally agree. Found it very interesting!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #15790
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Just finished up Battle Cry Freedom: The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson. This was a very good book on the causes and fighting of the Civil War.

I'm going to switch it up and read The Last Comanche Chief: The Life and Times of Quanah Parker.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #15791
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool ripped through it

Quote:
The last novel, The Shape Shifter (#18) of Tony Hillerman's, Navajo Mysteries was a real good read. I really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed #11 of the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, The Clue of the Broken Locket a lot.

This time, instead of the next Nancy Drew Mystery, I'm going to try the first novel in the Tom Corbett Omnibus, Stand by for Mars! by Carey Rockwell. Also I'm reading Dana Stabenow's 18th Kate Shugak Mystery, Though Not Dead.

Hmmmm...well I ripped through Stand by for Mars! and really had a good time doing so. It was a real nostalgia trip and I even went to Youtube and viewed some clips from 1952 TV (kinescope ugh!!) during the read. What fun (and what terrible quality video)! Anyway I never even started Though Not Dead. So I'm going to be reading it now and I'll read the 12th Nancy Drew Mystery Story, The Message in the Hollow Oak along with it.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #15792
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I finished "Impact" by Douglas Preston last night. This is the third book in his "Wyman Ford" thriller series, and it's one to be avoided. Mr. Preston writes excellent "techno-thrillers", but this one is just silly. An alien space weapon, hundreds of millions of years old, buried in one of the moons of Mars, is awakened by a modern space probe, and threatens to destroy the Earth. Can Wyman Ford and a young girl (who just happens to be a genius) defeat it? I knew this was going to be a bad one when the aforementioned girl set up a telescope, looked at Orion, and saw... the Andromeda Galaxy! (The reason it's called "the Andromeda Galaxy", Mr Preston, is that it's in the constellation of Andromeda, which is nowhere near Orion.)

Mr Preston's written some excellent thrillers (including the two previous book in this series), but this one's just silly. Don't waste your time with it.

In case you're ever faced with the problem of having to stop an alien super-weapon from destroying the Earth, by the way...

Spoiler:
... you do so by sending it the message "WE SURRENDER" from your local TV station's satellite downlink dish. So now you know .

Last edited by HarryT; 03-01-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #15793
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
I really liked that too. I like anything by Bill Bryson, really.

I think "At Home" might have been the first e-book I got from the library. If not the first, than the second.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #15794
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Last night I finished Jack & Jill by James Patterson. It's the 3rd book in the Alex Cross series. Very good. Highly recommended.

Not yet sure what my next read is going to be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #15795
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Next up: Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children by Ransom Riggs. I can't remember the last time I read horror, if ever. I'm curious to see how I'll like it.
I enjoyed it a lot. Maybe not as much as I had hoped, but it was worth the time and money. It was descriped as horror, but it's more fatasy/adventure. There was nothing scary about this book, and I'm scared easily . Next up: Paaz by Myrthe van der Meer. It's about time that I was going to read a Dutch author again .
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote