Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Backing up the Calibre settings

I would like to backup all my calibre settings, all customizations, including the plugins, plugin settings, etc. I use.

I had hoped there might be such an option in calibre itself, or perhaps through the help of a plugin, but I could not find anything.

What I do now:
I zip the calibre instalation directory and I zip the users-appdata-roaming-calibre directory and copy the zips to a backup location.

But I wonder... is this enough to restore a fully functional calibre with all my personal customizations? Or do I need to do more?

(I did search on the forum, but could not find another thread in which this is discussed)
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
I periodically copy the calibre configuration directory and the calibre library folders to a different drive. (Quit calibre first.) AFAIK, all relevant settings are contained in them. I don't copy the application package because that is replaced with each calibre update, and all versions are available online at any time.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-23-2012 at 07:55 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I periodically copy the calibre configuration directory and the calibre library folders to a different drive. (Quit calibre first.) AFAIK, all relevant settings are contained in them. I don't copy the application package because that is replaced with each calibre update, and all versions are available online at any time.
Well, I was unsure where calibre stores certain settings, so I decided not to take the risk of missing anything.

The calibre library itself (the books) I burn every 2 months on disk and I also back it up in the cloud (Skydrive) + I back it up on another partition.
The thought of loosing my e-book collection is pure horror.

Just to be sure, when you mention the calibre configuration directory, you do mean the calibre directory in users-appdata-roaming?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go to preferences->miscellaneous in calibre and click open configuration directory. That directory contains *all* calibre settings.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Iskariot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Go to preferences->miscellaneous in calibre and click open configuration directory. That directory contains *all* calibre settings.
Thank you Kovid Goyal.
There is so much going on in calibre that I never noticed that option.
I am happy to see that at least I did backup the right directory.

(To my shame I just discovered there is indeed another thread were this is mentioned and I also found some info in the online manual)

Last edited by Iskariot; 09-23-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
But I wonder... is this enough to restore a fully functional calibre with all my personal customizations? Or do I need to do more?
I swapped my HDD in the spring. After reinstalling Calibre on the new disk, I copied all the files from the old configuration directory and voila! my Calibre had all the custom columns and settings.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Iskariot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
I swapped my HDD in the spring. After reinstalling Calibre on the new disk, I copied all the files from the old configuration directory and voila! my Calibre had all the custom columns and settings.

Thank you so much travger for this reassurance.

Tags
configuration folder, settings backup