Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #31
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
How many public domain eBooks are formatted specifically for the iPhone? That is a value add in my mind. Reading PG text is not fun on any small device.
I concur. You aren't paying for the content of the book. You're paying for the time and trouble someone took to get that content into a form you can conveniently read on your device.

Since I can do that sort of thing myself, I have no need to pay for it, but I have no objection to anyone else charging a nominal fee for doing it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
How many public domain eBooks are formatted specifically for the iPhone?
I just checked. There are currently 4 from AppEngines... not sure if there is another company doing it...

1. Pride and Prejudice
2. Art of War
3. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
4. A Tale of Two Cities

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #33
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Here's my Letterman style top 5 reasons:

5. They don't know that you can download PD books for free.

4. The don't know that public domain means 100 years old.

3. They felt $.99 is a good value for the books.

2. They want people under 30 to real Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Stevenson, Szu, etc.

1. The person that wrote the article works for AppEngines, LLC and wants to sell public domain books to make some money.
[BTW: This isn't Apple.... yes Apple takes 30% of any app store sale]

BOb
And your number one top reason is the biggie. It's a "great deal" because they say so and they are selling the product. So, it really isn't so much an article, as it is an advertisement, geared at people who don't know much about public domain books. As long as people understand that it's an ad, and that ads spin the truth in order to push the product, I have no problem with it ....
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #34
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
And your number one top reason is the biggie. It's a "great deal" because they say so and they are selling the product. So, it really isn't so much an article, as it is an advertisement, geared at people who don't know much about public domain books. As long as people understand that it's an ad, and that ads spin the truth in order to push the product, I have no problem with it ....
Sure, you can download PD books for free. But can you get them in a format you can conveniently read on your mobile device?

I have the ability to get PD texts and reformat them, but if I got an iPhone (and I've no plans to do so), I might go for a deal like this. If the books were at all well adapted for the iPhone, it might make sense to buy them at 99 cents. I tend to place a decent value on my time, and using that measure, it would cost me more than 99 cents to do it myself.
______
Dennis
Old 07-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #35
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
What I would like to see is a section, like the free section, just for ebooks on the iphone and not mix them up with the other apps. I'm sure in time, someone will create a program that converts txt/mobi/pdf/whatever into something that looks good on the iphone for $9.99 and I will but it. I already have thousands of Public Domain books on my MacPro that make it to my Kindle and Mobireader.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:37 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No conversion required. There's already an iPhone/Touch App called "Bookshelf" which apparently does a very nice job of displaying DRM-free Mobi, Plucker, PalmDoc, Text, HTML, and several other formats too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #37
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Sure, you can download PD books for free. But can you get them in a format you can conveniently read on your mobile device?

I have the ability to get PD texts and reformat them, but if I got an iPhone (and I've no plans to do so), I might go for a deal like this. If the books were at all well adapted for the iPhone, it might make sense to buy them at 99 cents. I tend to place a decent value on my time, and using that measure, it would cost me more than 99 cents to do it myself.
______
Dennis
I was under the impression that the format being used for the iPhone ebooks was one of the ones already being used for conversion at sites like this. Is it something else??
Old 07-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #38
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I was under the impression that the format being used for the iPhone ebooks was one of the ones already being used for conversion at sites like this. Is it something else??
AFAIK, something else, displayed by an iPhone app the folks doing the conversion wrote. From what I can tell, they are creating self-displaying books, with the display code bundled with the content. Each one you download is essentially a separate program.

There used to be hacks like that for the PC years ago, that would let you create a self-displaying text file. the user didn't have to have anything installed to read it -- all they had to do was run the program.
______
Dennis
Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #39
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I thought Mobipocket wouldn't license their DRM on any platform that also supported a different DRM scheme? That was what the Astak folks were saying.

Though if I were them, I'd make an exception for anything being marketed by Apple with i- at the beginning of the name, at this point.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #40
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I thought Mobipocket wouldn't license their DRM on any platform that also supported a different DRM scheme? That was what the Astak folks were saying.

Though if I were them, I'd make an exception for anything being marketed by Apple with i- at the beginning of the name, at this point.
Bookeen told me the same thing about Mobipocket.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post

This is different. I can run Mobipocket and MS Reader and eReader DRMed files all on my PC. Also, in this case it is Mobipocket providing the app for the iPhone/iPod platform rather than apple licensing the software/DRM to bundle with the devices.

BOb
Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #42
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This is different. I can run Mobipocket and MS Reader and eReader DRMed files all on my PC. Also, in this case it is Mobipocket providing the app for the iPhone/iPod platform rather than apple licensing the software/DRM to bundle with the devices.
Which makes me curious about Mobipocket's reasoning.

They provide the reader free for a variety of platforms, includingg PCs, PocketPC/Windows Mobile devices, Palm OS devices, Symbian based smartphones, and Blackberries, most of which can run applications that use other foirms of DRM as well, but won't license thier DRM to hardware vendors who want to embed their app if they intend to support any other form of DRM?

Sounds like an attempt to lock in market share for their DRM protected commercial ebook offerings.

Of course, things might get interesting if the market decides DRM is counter productive and stops applying it...

(I don't expect to see that happen any time soon, mind you.)
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 07-14-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sounds like an attempt to lock in market share for their DRM protected commercial ebook offerings.
I agree... it doesn't make sense. But, then again Mobipocket is the most prevelently supported format in the means of content availability and supporting stores. So, they have a bit of leverage.

Quote:
Of course, things might get interesting if the market decides DRM is counter productive and stops applying it...
If only. Although it won't be interesting it will be moot. If I can buy books sans DRM I can pretty much convert them to the format my device needs. There really is no "one true format" like MP3 is for audio files. Although many hope ePub will become that format.

BOb
Old 07-14-2008, 12:12 AM   #44
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
With the arrival of the iTunes App Store, some enterprising individuals have started to populated the virtual shop with a bunch of novels from the public domain. All they have to do is "re-box" them, so to speak, before selling through through the Apple online store for 99 cents each. The e-books that you'll find include stuff like Dickens and Tarzan.

The text is said to look pretty crisp and the relatively large display of the iPhone makes for a pleasurable read as well. And you might look a little sexier staring at your iPhone than at your Kindle.
Some of us need all the help we can get!

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #45
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
AFAIK, something else, displayed by an iPhone app the folks doing the conversion wrote. From what I can tell, they are creating self-displaying books, with the display code bundled with the content. Each one you download is essentially a separate program.

There used to be hacks like that for the PC years ago, that would let you create a self-displaying text file. the user didn't have to have anything installed to read it -- all they had to do was run the program.
______
Dennis
In which case I don't see that going that route would be much of a benefit, unless they provide a free conversion program ... but I imagine for something self displaying that might be difficult.

I know that my Kindle Store books can only be read on the Kindle, but there is so much free content out there that I can read on my Kindle and on my computer and my PDA (if for one second I wanted to read on my PDA) that it makes up for it.

Ah well ... I have no idea why I even wandered in to this discussion. I'm not going to purchase an iPhone, for reading or anything else. I love my Motorola Q phone too much to give it up (and I already have all the apps for it since it runs on Windows CE).