Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #46
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Harry, might I suggest Silverlock by John Myers Myers? Your background in literary works would make it natural fit. Available as a e-book, no DRM.

It is a Fantasy/Literary take on A Pilgrim's Progress. And a good read...

(If i may quote the opening line - "If I had wanted to live, I would have died."

ABSOLUTELY! (Brag: I own a First Edition of this title.)

...and after that, Harry, you should sample James Branch Cabell. There's a nice selection of the Kalki editions here on MobileRead.

These are witty, urbane, fun, humorous fantasy novels that poke fun at the Human Condition.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about:

Delver Magic Book I: Sanctum's Breach by Jeff Inlo
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #48
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Some of my favourites don't seem to've been mentioned yet (my apologies to everyone who's see me make these recommendations before):

- Jack Vance, esp. the Lyonesse Trilogy (Lyonesse:Suldrun's Garden, The Green Pearl, Madouc)
- David Lindsay's A Voyage to Arcturus (available here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44294 )
- William Morris The Well at the World's End https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134960
- while it's arguably one of the first urban fantasy novels, Susan Cooper's _The Dark is Rising_ pentalogy (Over Sea, Under Stone, The Dark Is Rising, Greenwitch, The Grey King and Silver on the Tree) are really wonderful books which don't have many of the cliche's which make much contemporary urban fantasy painful --- they're also sold as juveniles (and deserved much better than the recent wretched movie version) so should be easy to find.

Agree about Steven Brust, Michael Moorcock and a few others.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Will. Yes, I already have the "Dark is Rising" series and they are wonderful books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #50
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I haven't seen The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch mentioned yet. Full disclosure though - it it not exactly a traditional epic quest type of fantasy, the main character is a thief and there is not a ton of magic in it. But it is well-written, clever, ingeniously plotted, and features a damn thrilling and exciting climax. I would highly recommend.

Thanks for the recommendations all - I'll probably check out a few of these myself.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #51
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I think this is a major problem with ebooks. Usually, I read an ebook and when done, I delete it. I see no sense in keeping it "handy" because I am not going to reread it, especially with a TBR pile as large as mine.[/I]
This is one of the reasons that I love ebooks. I am a hardcore re-reader, and I keep all my books on my device. I love having that device in my hands, no matter where I am, and being able to go back and look up a favorite passage or scene in a beloved book.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #52
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Tales of a Dying Earth by Jack Vance. I'm not into fantasy but I enjoyed it. The writer is very gifted. Maybe too humorous to be called epic?

The Black Guard by A.J. Smith is very well written. Maybe a bit humorous for your tastes?

Finally, The Night land by William Hope Hodgson. Kind of horror / sci-fi / fantasy, but extremely epic and you can get it free here on mobileread.

P.s. If you like Tolkien, I recommend Watership Down by Richard Adams. It's about rabbits, of all things, but apart from that, it is a classic epic quest and brilliantly written.

Pps. And the Sunset Warrior Trilogy by Eric Van Lustbader. Don't be put off by all the mediocre martial-arts books he wrote after. This trilogy is brilliant epic fantasy.

Last edited by Rizla; 03-04-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #53
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Hello HarryT,

first of all, have all of you checked http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/forums/forum.php - very active forum with lots of good discussions on the issue.

What I am missing so far (maybe I overread them) - among the very many good suggestions here - are

- George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" - as epic as it gets!!! and "Dunk and Egg" books
- Robert V.S. Reddick's "Chatrand Voyage" quatrilogy (Red Wolf conspiracy)
- Brent Weeks' "Night Angel" Trilogy and "Lightbringer" (not finished yet, only on #2 of the series)
- Peter V. Brett's "Warded Man" series (not finished yet, only on #3, last 2 books did not completely live up to the promise made by the first one)

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
P.s. If you like Tolkien, I recommend Watership Down by Richard Adams. It's about rabbits, of all things, but apart from that, it is a classic epic quest and brilliantly written.
I've not read Watership Down, but I have seen the movie and it's very good. Highly recommended.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #55
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've not read Watership Down, but I have seen the movie and it's very good. Highly recommended.
I'll second Watership Down. One of my all-time favorites. Never thought about it as "fantasy" but what with the talking rabbits and all...

Watership Down is a thrilling adventure as well as genuinely moving. I'll admit it, this cynical dude was moved to tears at the end. One of the very select few books ever to accomplish that feat.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #56
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm a ways into Game of Thrones. I didn't have much hope for this set, but it's gaining my interest.

P.S. Try The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart, probably the best Merlin telling ever.

Last edited by morriss003; 03-05-2013 at 12:40 PM.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've been buying the "Ice and Fire" series as it's been released, but I prefer, on the whole, to wait until a series is complete before reading it. I'm not in any hurry .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #58
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've been buying the "Ice and Fire" series as it's been released, but I prefer, on the whole, to wait until a series is complete before reading it. I'm not in any hurry .
I agree. I've very weary of starting a fantasy series now without it being complete just because of A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm really disappointed in the slowness of the books being released (or written for that matter).

Thank you for starting this thread . I'm seeing a lot of good recommendations here. Lots to add to my TBR mountain.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #59
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I like the "farmboy turning into legendary hero" type of book. That's why I so much enjoy David Eddings (all of whose books are basically the same story, endlessly recycled, but it's a good story!) and also Elizabeth Moon's "Paksenarrion" series.
Have you tried Elizabeth Moon's Paladin's Legacy series? Its takes up where Paksenarrion ends. The fourth book in the series is due to be published later this year.

Or what about Katherine Kurtz's Deryni novels or Katharine Kerr's Deverry novels? I think from what you've said Kerr's books will be more your type.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #60
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
How could I have forgotten the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake.

Harry, since you love Dickens, you will love this, although you probably have aleady read it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote