Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Touch vs Glo

To someone who has both: With the light turned off on the Glo, are the Glo and the Touch screens the same in terms of readability?
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Yes. I have both and they appear the seem to me.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Personally, I find the Glo better. When you compare the menus, the Glo seems sharper. When reading, the fonts seem sharper as well, and my font size is a size or two smaller on the Glo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
CaptainCrash
CaptainCrash began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Personally, I find the Glo better. When you compare the menus, the Glo seems sharper. When reading, the fonts seem sharper as well, and my font size is a size or two smaller on the Glo.
I'd agree with this - I have a Touch, and I recently bought a Glo as a Christmas present for a relative. Comparing the two directly side-by-side, using the same fonts at the same size, the Glo is definitely crisper and clearer to my eyes, and the difference becomes more marked as the font size is reduced.

I also prefer the Malabar font (apparently Glo-only) to anything I've tried on the Touch, either native or sideloaded.

Now I'm just trying to decide if the improvements are worth dropping another £100 on a Glo for myself... if I hadn't seen them side-by-side, I'd still be perfectly happy with the Touch, but now I'm aware of what I'm missing. Silly me...
CaptainCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
You guys, your eyes are better than mine, which doesn't take much! I googled the screen resolution, and both are at 1,024x768-pixel-resolution.

What I like best about the Glo is that when you turn the light on in the daytime, the screen becomes pure white.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
You guys, your eyes are better than mine, which doesn't take much! I googled the screen resolution, and both are at 1,024x768-pixel-resolution.
Unless Kobo made an upgrade to the Touch it's 600x800, not 768x1024.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
The Glo's resolution is definitely higher than the Touch's. Some argue that there is noticeable difference in person (myself included) while others disagree, but there is, at the least, a difference on paper.

It's also been pointed out (I've also noticed it) that even with the light off, the Glo has a slightly whiter background than the Touch, which theoretically improves the contrast, but will probably not make much of a real difference in practice.

Tkavan, when I was considering purchasing the Glo, one of my main argument against the purchase was that a better reading experience in bed (approx. half an hour a day) does not justify the upgrade. But I happened to stumble onto some extra spending money at the time and thought what the heck, but like a lot of other Glo users, I read with the light on at all times, which significantly increases the contrast and "readability". Not sure if this was the reason for your question, but if it is, you should consider this.

Edit: Found the poll I created a while ago on Glo user preference, 16 of the 59 people who answered this particular section of the poll said they have the light on at all times, with only 7 responding that they turn it on only when it is not readable without it (others, of course, falling in somewhere between these extremes)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195789

link for the poll if you're interested.

Last edited by kobokobe; 01-02-2013 at 11:54 PM.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #8
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Having used a Touch since it came out and recently got a Glo I can attest that the glo screen is slightly better.
It's not a dramatic difference tho. The reading experience between the 2 is not really affected (based purely on the screen).

However the addition of the light is very nice. Well worth the purchase just for that.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 01-03-2013 at 01:06 AM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post

What I like best about the Glo is that when you turn the light on in the daytime, the screen becomes pure white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Unless Kobo made an upgrade to the Touch it's 600x800, not 768x1024.
Just to nitpick, isn't the Glo 758x1024?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
As are the other readers with the same panel (paperwhite, etc.). Not sure why they didn't go with standard XGA.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
As are the other readers with the same panel (paperwhite, etc.). Not sure why they didn't go with standard XGA.
Apparently they get better yields from the 758 widths.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Yes, my bad. I guess 768 is just what my brain puts with 1024 when thinking about resolution.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
Tkavan, when I was considering purchasing the Glo, one of my main argument against the purchase was that a better reading experience in bed (approx. half an hour a day) does not justify the upgrade. But I happened to stumble onto some extra spending money at the time and thought what the heck, but like a lot of other Glo users, I read with the light on at all times, which significantly increases the contrast and "readability". Not sure if this was the reason for your question, but if it is, you should consider this.
What I was wondering about was a situation in which the Glo battery was low, and I wasn't able to do a recharge right away so would turn off the light to extend the battery power. With the light off, is the Glo just as readable as the Touch is?
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
What I was wondering about was a situation in which the Glo battery was low, and I wasn't able to do a recharge right away so would turn off the light to extend the battery power. With the light off, is the Glo just as readable as the Touch is?
I have both the Touch and the Glo and to my eyes the Glo (with the light off) is actually slightly sharper and higher contrast than the Touch.

The Glo definitely has a higher resolution screen so everything ought to be sharper. Maybe the contrast just appears better because of the increased sharpness.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
With the light off, it is slightly better than the Touch. Kobo claims that the light does not drain the battery, and I have found that to be true. My battery life on the Glo (light always on) seems to be at least as good as the Touch. I've read other Glo users attest the same as well.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote