Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
lol. Oh, I refuse to sell my ebook through Amazon. They format lock you, and foist upon you a DRM laidened nightmare. Nope, I won't do that. Thus why I've given away the ebook. I am only selling the print version. and that just happens to be done through Amazon. So it sidesteps all their DRM evil.
Your book would only have DRM at Amazon if you chose to have it DRM'd.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:29 AM   #32
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
lol. Oh, I refuse to sell my ebook through Amazon. They format lock you, and foist upon you a DRM laidened nightmare. Nope, I won't do that. Thus why I've given away the ebook. I am only selling the print version. and that just happens to be done through Amazon. So it sidesteps all their DRM evil.
Karma++ for this, milord
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 04:36 AM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I believe that it is possible to publish DRM-free through Amazon if you create the Mobipocket file yourself, rather than letting Amazon do it.

Quote:
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #34
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you post the ePub, can you fix it up so there are not such huge margins, no paragraph spacing, a proper ToC, and page breaks at the chapters?

Thanks!
And proper, actual em-dashes instead of just --.

Thanks!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #35
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Well, from what I've seen, at least on the self publishing side, they only allow you to publish in Kindle format, and only with DRM. If there's a way to sell an epub or mobipocket version via amazon, and it could be open source/open format in the way I prefer (I'm a bit Linux/FOSS/Media Freedom advocate) then I'd be all for it. The only thing I'd need then is for someone here to help me build the file, as I really am a total newb at ebook files. I try, but I ultimate fail. Hence why rwood has been working on my ebook formating for me, since he's so much better at it. ^_^;;
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #36
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Well, from what I've seen, at least on the self publishing side, they only allow you to publish in Kindle format, and only with DRM. If there's a way to sell an epub or mobipocket version via amazon, and it could be open source/open format in the way I prefer (I'm a bit Linux/FOSS/Media Freedom advocate) then I'd be all for it. The only thing I'd need then is for someone here to help me build the file, as I really am a total newb at ebook files. I try, but I ultimate fail. Hence why rwood has been working on my ebook formating for me, since he's so much better at it. ^_^;;
Unless you add DRM, all they publish on any DTP book is a non-DRM mobi file with a stupid name (often just a pile of numbers that aren't even the ASIN) and .AZW extension. I have yet to get any DTP books with any DRM installed. They've also changed the device limit for DTP books to unlimited -- it's an easy matter (for those with the hardware) to save it copy to any other device you want.

There are a number of people who have a Kindle who will not buy a book anywhere else (or even download the free ones from other sites), as they don't want "the hassle" (just as there are readers here who won't convert any book, even if offered free, to their specific format).

For those who will venture out to other locations, Smashwords lets you publish in many formats, all DRM free (and the only formatting issues I've seen are the author's fault, just as with the Kindle). Smashwords has also worked some type of deal with Barnes & Noble, so you might want to check them out.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #37
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, interesting. Well, is there a guild on how to offer the ebook on Amazon, and the suggested ebook price?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:59 AM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
See http://dtp.amazon.com/

Amazon will take 65% of the recommended retail price (RRP), paying you 35%. (I know, outrageous).

If your RRP is over about $10.99, Amazon will almost always discount the ebook by 40%, so an $10.99 ebook will cost the customer $6.59 and will pay you $3.85.

If your RRP is between about $7.99 and $10.99, Amazon will almost always discount the ebook by 20%, so a $7.99 ebook will cost the customer $6.39 and pay you $2.80

Under $7.99, you get 0% discount.

Of course, these discounts are by no means guaranteed.

But if I were you, I would either price it at $10.99 or above, at $7.99 or well below $6. Pricing it between $7.99 and $10.99 is silly - in most cases it will cost the customer more, and get you less than pricing it as $10.99!

Quote:
Ah, interesting. Well, is there a guild on how to offer the ebook on Amazon, and the suggested ebook price?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #39
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
I'm sure there are others, but I'd check The Book Bazaar forum over at kindleboards.com. Not only are you allowed a thread per book for promotion, but there are numerous threads by other indie authors there (and links to other resources) on just the issues you have asked about. Plus the forums at dtp.amazon.com, of course. Pricing is, as you can imagine, a highly debated subject, but, for my 2 cents - indie authors who are using any type of ebook format need to price more along paperback prices or lower, rather than paper tradebook prices. Some believe only in free or 99 cents, which are good sales tools, but for most authors may be too low (depending on the skills of the author, including editing and proofing .. for others it may be too high). But trying to get 9.99 when bestselling authors and other well-known, traditionally published authors get that only when their newest books are out in hardback is going to be a tough sell. Somewhere in between is where you'll balance income vs. more readers (and most big author's paperback editions sell at 6.39 when they are in the Kindle store, so keep that in mind, as well).

As to the 35% you get from Amazon, it's all relative - you must do all the editing, proofing and promotion (then again, for many authors, they have to do this even with traditional publishing contracts), but you get a much higher percentage from your books (5-10% are more "normal"). You have no up front costs or minimums, as you do with a paper vanity press, nor do you have to fight a high minimum cost just to recover printing charges.

You can also use smashwords.com - not sure their percentage, but suspect it's much higher (then again, their sales are much lower, as well). They let you offer multiple formats (all non-DRM), use coupons or temporary sales much more easily, etc.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #40
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Just in case anyone is interested, I've finally got the audiobook files online for this book. You can download them here:

http://www.raiden.net/wrifiles/oort_..._perimeter.zip
Old 10-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #41
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
for the audio book!!!

I'm set up for my commute next week. I don't purchase from amazon, and I couldn't find a tip jar nor a paypal button on your site. I would like to pay something for your work. Will you be adding at least a tip jar to your site soon?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #42
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

You're welcome. They're ready by an excellent gentleman named Brian Ganson. He is retired now, but used to do this kinda stuff for a living. Once you guys get through the book, tell me what you thought of it, because I'm really interested. Plus it's why these books are released like this. IE, in order to showcase my skills and get feedback on my writing.

And I'm always open to feedback, good, bad, or otherwise. As sometimes the most scathing reviews can be the most helpful.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #43
ashes
ashes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If he wants you to buy a copy after getting the free copy, it isn't really free, is it? Kind of a strange request.
i kinda agree! it does sound a little silly
ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #44
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

http://www.raiden.net/writing/the_oort_perimeter/

Dreams, there's now a tip jar per your request. It'll say "Raiden's Realm" on it, so don't panic when you see that. It's because my site and I share paypal accounts for all our monies. ^_^

Oh, and PS: Sorry for the late reply in this regard. When I read your post the first time, it sorta didn't click with me. It only clicked after I got my bi-weekly summary via email and read it again.

Last edited by Steven Lake; 10-16-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #45
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Small point, the epub d/l metadata lists this book as book 2 in the Earthfleet Saga.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote