Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
The Unboxing

My eDGe arrived safely. There's nothing I can do until it charges, so I'll spend a few moments sharing first impressions and some pics.
  • No external damage to the shipping box. It only traveled about 25 miles in under 24 hours, so I guess nobody at FedEx had time to play bowli ball with it.
  • Cats like empty boxes.
  • Nice finish and feel to the eDGe. Fingerprints do not show up on the white. Weight about the same as my now-deceased Asus Eee PC netbook.
  • Cat hair does show up on the white.
  • Sheesh, this thing dwarfs my other ebook readers, especially when open. Look at all that screen real estate!
  • Cats will nonchalantly walk across delicate screens if not prevented. Good thing I saw her coming.

And, well, not much else to say until it charges up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eDGe_2.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	50249Click image for larger version

Name:	eDGe_3.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	50250

Name:	eDGe_4.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	50251Click image for larger version

Name:	eDGe_5.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	50252

Name:	eDGe_6.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	50253
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
That's a beautiful cat I've observed the same behaviour in mine
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
maynard
Connoisseur
maynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, iLiad, Entourage Edge
Na. You can turn the thing on immediately once you've got it plugged in. It should take about three hours to charge.

EDIT: Actually, let us know what you think of the browser and Android environment. Especially if you are able to browse using the touchscreen with your fingers. I can't use it at all. I do, however, consider the eink screen with Wacom input a bargain given that the DR1K is still $850/unit.

Last edited by maynard; 04-21-2010 at 08:14 PM.
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
That's a beautiful cat I've observed the same behaviour in mine
Thanks. She's a 14-year-old Maine Coon Cat that's still bright-eyed and playful when she's not sleeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard
Na. You can turn the thing on immediately once you've got it plugged in. It should take about three hours to charge.

EDIT: Actually, let us know what you think of the browser and Android environment. Especially if you are able to browse using the touchscreen with your fingers. I can't use it at all. I do, however, consider the eink screen with Wacom input a bargain given that the DR1K is still $850/unit.
The green light stopped blinking after less than two hours. I didn't use it plugged-in because I needed to walk it over to the business center to update on the free wireless (my wifi router arrives tomorrow).

Checked for updates. Hm, it said it was up to date -- did they install the latest stuff before shipping mine? Anyway, registration went without a hitch and I re-downloaded to the eDGe a previously purchased DRM PDF from enTourage's bookstore. No problem.

The Android interface is a super improvement over what I have to use in the SDK emulator. I was surprised. The eDGe also boots up two or three times faster than the Android 1.6 emulator.

No issues with navigation except it being more sensitive and faster-reacting than in the emulator, so I "overshot" when scrolling and such. Android's keyboard is NOT multi-touch so any attempt at speed would result in frustration. I just tapped with the stylus.

I'm pleased so far, but maybe my expectations were low? I've never used an iPod Touch or iPhone so perhaps I just don't know what a fantastic interface is like?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
I think expectations are probably important. I bought the eDGe with the following expectations:
- two screens in a book-like form factor
- eReader for reading all manners of eBooks and PDFs, with markup capability
- low powered netbook for quick browsing and email
- fanless (i.e., noiseless)
- decent music player

I had no expectations regarding speed, and I considered a 5-6 hour full-use battery life adequate for my needs, and was expecting to use AC overnight and while at my desk. Weight wasn't a worry, as I considered anything under 4 lbs (my previous experience with a tablet PC) just fine.

As such, I was very happy with the eDGe.

I've never used or held an eReader (like the Kindle) before, and was worried about that flash when you change pages, but quickly realized it was no worse than the flicker of a paper page being turned.

So, Dellaster, no doubt you'll be happy with it, although we need to be a bit forgiving about the rougher edges (no pun indended) while enTourage works on the various software updates.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Congrats! Nice pictures for comparison. Hubby is now looking for an ebook reader (he doesn't need all the features of the edge, so he's looking at more basic ereaders) so it was nice to see the comparison with your other devices.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
The cat is as excited too!

Great pictures! Congratulations by the way.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
Dellaster
本の虫

Thanks for the congrats.

After a couple more hours with the eDGe I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the interface. One key thing was figuring out how to scroll with my thumb on the right part of the LCD touchscreen, and grabbing the knob/thumb thingie that pops out to scroll in larger increments. Very handy in the dictionary and on the SD card after I put over 300 ePubs on it.

Happy to see that reports of needing to add things to the library (onboard storage) in order to use them is not the case. I can open up books or video directly from the 16 GB SD card. (Though, darn, .mkv video isn't supported by the default player.)

I'd prefer more increments of zoom/font size in both PDF and ePub. I run into the same problem as on the iRex: Medium a bit too small but Large much too big (for example). My Cybook Gen3 has something like 16 increments in ePub, so it's not a limitation of Adobe-compatible ebooks.

Overall I'm liking it so far.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Congratulation on getting your eDGe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
Happy to see that reports of needing to add things to the library (onboard storage) in order to use them is not the case. I can open up books or video directly from the 16 GB SD card. (Though, darn, .mkv video isn't supported by the default player.)
It is true that you can read all documents on SD card but you still need to add documents to the library in order to highlight, attach memos, and scribble on documents.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Congratulation on getting your eDGe.

It is true that you can read all documents on SD card but you still need to add documents to the library in order to highlight, attach memos, and scribble on documents.
Yeah, I thought of that after posting. There are all kinds of neat things you can do with documents in your library, but on the SD card all you can do is sort by file name. Still, at least you don't have to load up the limited on-board storage with things like TV shows. Because it doesn't take very many of those to fill up the 3 GB user-available memory.