Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Kleki
Connoisseur
Kleki doesn't litterKleki doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (+ an old Hanlin V3)
Unhappy Card Reader not working any more

Hi,

after desperately trying to find an SD card working with my Hanlin V3 to get my firmware up to date I have come to the conclusion that the card reader must be defective. I have tried around seven different cards between 16 MB and 2 GB and none was working.

When I insert an SD card the reader recognizes this event and switches from internal memory to the card, but no files are displayed (only showing the menu item "recent files"). Furthermore when I try to hook up the device to my computer via USB the device reboots whenever an SD card is present or inserted.

The last time I have actually used an SC card in the reader has been about half a year ago. At that time everything was working fine.

Does anyone have any idea what I could try to pinpoint the fault or even to fix it? Or is the only alternative to send the device in for replacement?

Tobias
Kleki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you have a external SD card reader, I suggest choosing a likely card (1 GB perhaps) and reformatting it FAT16 (FAT). Then make a couple of directories and copy a couple of ebook files (that you know work on the Hanlin) into them.

Turn off your Hanlin. Insert the SD card and reboot. If the directory structure does not show up, then the SD slot probably is broken.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I don't have any useful insight, but what file format are the cards in? What does the V3 expect? I know on other systems, the card needed to be in the correct format (FAT16, versus FAT32, versus NTFS) to be read.

I just checked. According to:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Hanlin_V3
it should be FAT16
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
Kleki
Connoisseur
Kleki doesn't litterKleki doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (+ an old Hanlin V3)
Hi,

thanks for your thoughts. I tried all this to no avail. I was hoping someone knew of some hack to start a software diagnosis or anything like that. Or that there was a way to check the contacts with a multimeter for diagnosis (and possible fix by cleaning contacts or something similar).

Well, I'll probably have to contact the vendor about this.

Last edited by Kleki; 09-15-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Kleki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
allen
allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kleki,
I think it's the matter of SD card slot. Does the file can't be shown on the screen suddenly? or any other else?
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
I suspect you have no choice but to contact Hanlin and arrange for them to repair the device. By BeBook had a similar issue last year and it needed to return to Endless Ideas for repair and has behaved beautifully ever since. If you are technically capable and the device is out of warranty, you may be able to order a replacement for the SD reader and replace it yourself.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote