Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #46
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Your first choice should always be our wiki.

Dale
One day that will be ingrained in my brain. thanks for not giving up on me.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #47
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
I'm guessing this is the same reason that most of the Kindle newspapers don't include photos.
Mine actually does include photos, the SF Chronicle, but I would have to say they are not spectacular
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #48
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
One day that will be ingrained in my brain. thanks for not giving up on me.
If you are anything like me for everything new you learn, Something old must go...

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #49
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Just make sure you don't confuse Hentai with Manga!
I wasn't even gonna go there!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #50
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
There are all kinds of manga, only some is aimed at teenage boys. There is girl's manga, for instance, which sells as much as the boys' stuff, if not more. And the styles are really all over the board.

There are also manga titles aimed at every other possible demographic: businessmen, housewives, little kids, grandparents, mah jonng fanatics, foodies, sports fans, pet lovers, everything.
See you learn something new everyday, Now why do I feel like i am forgetting something...

JJ
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #51
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
There are all kinds of manga, only some is aimed at teenage boys. There is girl's manga, for instance, which sells as much as the boys' stuff, if not more. And the styles are really all over the board.

There are also manga titles aimed at every other possible demographic: businessmen, housewives, little kids, grandparents, mah jonng fanatics, foodies, sports fans, pet lovers, everything.
I believe the original comment was not aimed at Manga but at Anime. They are different things.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #52
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
If you are anything like me for everything new you learn, Something old must go...

JJ
It doesn't even take anything new for the old to start slipping away.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #53
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I believe the original comment was not aimed at Manga but at Anime. They are different things.
Manga and anime are different, sure, but they have a lot of similarities, including spread of demographics and many stylistic conventions. Apart from the fact that anime is animated and manga is printed on paper, I'd say the main difference is that manga tends to be black and white with screentone (dot) patterns, and anime tends to be in color and cell-shaded.

Was there some other difference you had in mind?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #54
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Manga and anime are different, sure, but they have a lot of similarities, including spread of demographics and many stylistic conventions. Apart from the fact that anime is animated and manga is printed on paper, I'd say the main difference is that manga tends to be black and white with screentone (dot) patterns, and anime tends to be in color and cell-shaded.

Was there some other difference you had in mind?
Well, not me but the original author that used the term was thinking that Anime is often racy.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #55
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
No additional gray scale needed. Page size could be an issue-- I should borrow a Sony Reader from my local friend who has one, to test. I doubt I'd ever sell through the Kindle store, at least as long as DRM is a requirement. For now the manga will remain free. Once enough pages are done, I'll bundle them up in CBZ and PDF format for easier offline reading. I think it would be a bit cheeky to charge for a new work from a complete unknown.
I'll happily defer to the expert on whether the artwork uses gray in the original (what would I know), and if a few sample images are released that would be great to see. Even with pure b/w images (i.e. 1-bit deep), things like scaling can benefit from greyscales, so perhaps part of my experience is that I don't have access to correctly sized images, if you see what I mean.

That aside, I'd still like to see a bigger gray depth implemented on future devices, as there are lots of other "image content" forms that would benefit from this.

I hope you will provide us the chance to acquire original, limited edition art work at a reasonable price before you become fabulously rich and famous (and your work even more so....)
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #56
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
I'll happily defer to the expert on whether the artwork uses gray in the original (what would I know), and if a few sample images are released that would be great to see. Even with pure b/w images (i.e. 1-bit deep), things like scaling can benefit from greyscales, so perhaps part of my experience is that I don't have access to correctly sized images, if you see what I mean.

That aside, I'd still like to see a bigger gray depth implemented on future devices, as there are lots of other "image content" forms that would benefit from this.

I hope you will provide us the chance to acquire original, limited edition art work at a reasonable price before you become fabulously rich and famous (and your work even more so....)
When you reduce the size of a 1-bit image, often the image editing software will help compensate for this with antialiasing, i.e. grayscale, so sure, every little bit helps. (ooh... bad pun. I almost never notice puns as I'm typing. I think I'll leave it in. )

Regarding "originals," I do all my work in electronic form, mostly with 3D software that renders to a 2D sketch form. I'm not sure what would constitute an "original" of such a work. But thanks for the compliment, anyway.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
but that the second version is not that near.
The highlights of the interview are here http://d6.allthingsd.com/20080528/bezos/.
Of course he is going to say that. You don't want people to stop buying to wait for the next version.

Software vendors have this problem too... which is why usually why then announce a new version they say from this point out if you buy the current version you get a free upgrade to the new version. So people don't stop buying the current version.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Of course he is going to say that. You don't want people to stop buying to wait for the next version.
Anyone remember the "Osbourne 1"? It was one of the very first "portable" (read "small suitcase sized") computers and was extremely popular in its time. The company made the absolutely catastrophic mistake of pre-announcing the launch of a much improved "Osbourse 2" - sales of the current machine completely dried up and the company folded as a result. It's one of the classic "don't do this" lessons of the computer industry.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #59
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
But it's an urban legend. The company died as a result of mismanagement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why let facts get in the way of a good story?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!