Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #31
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'd like to get the max capacity because I have, of late, begun to do more editing of my photographs on the iPad. Only 1000 can be in iCloud/photostream, and sometimes you just want to have them on the device, permanently. I've been making do with 16GB, but really, even with cloud services, its not enough for my photography and apps.

Anyone buying their last ever, or for a long time, should probably get the max possible. Wish I had considered that, when I was doing it.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #32
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I could not resist and bought one from Walmart during lunch break!

It really feels light, specially when you compare to original iPad. I installed Kindle app and start reading few IT books and I can see myself an hour or so holding it.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #33
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
No one talks about editing in the cloud. It's about storing in the cloud. As soon as you need to edit something, you download the file to the appropriate device on which you wish to edit it. Which I have no idea in advance as to which device it will be (3 tablets here, plus a MacBook, a Windows desktop machine and a Windows notebook, not to mention iPhone). Which is exactly why it would be extremely inconvenient to store the file on any one specific device from among these. Nope: the file must be accessible from everywhere, to be available on demand at all times.

By the way, after you're done editing the movie, is it preferable to keep it stored on that device where you edited it? I'd say it's not, for many users. Because again, if you later wish to use (or simply show off) your creation elsewhere, it would be extremely inconvenient to have the file stored on a single device only, having to manually copy it from that single device whenever you need to access it elsewhere.

As soon as I'm done editing a file, I send it away to the cloud, so that it becomes accessible everywhere. Whereupon it's no longer necessary to keep the local copy of it.
I don't have enough self discipline to keep something on external cloud storage. Plus I have a bit of paranoia going on. I don't care if the world can see most things and can encrypt the odd thing I do. I just don't have faith that any cloud service will be there forever. I prefer network attached storage with RAID enabled. It is accessible and reasonably secure.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Had my finger on the button last night, chickened out, woke up this AM and said "the hell with it" and ordered anyway.

Will be here Monday....Thought about the case.....will probably pick it up eventually. I have to agree....its ugly. But i like the way it works.....Guess there is a trip to the apple store this weekend anyway......
Did you get an email telling you it would arrive Monday?

When I ordered, I saw on the Apple Store site that they would arrive Monday, but I had engraving added to mine. Do you think this might delay its arrival?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #35
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I just don't have faith that any cloud service will be there forever.

Neither do I; I also make occasional local backups of all my cloud contents. But that's unrelated to my day-to-day use of handheld devices.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #36
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
No one talks about editing in the cloud. It's about storing in the cloud. As soon as you need to edit something, you download the file to the appropriate device on which you wish to edit it. Which I have no idea in advance as to which device it will be (3 tablets here, plus a MacBook, a Windows desktop machine and a Windows notebook, not to mention iPhone). Which is exactly why it would be extremely inconvenient to store the file on any one specific device from among these. Nope: the file must be accessible from everywhere, to be available on demand at all times.

By the way, after you're done editing the movie, is it preferable to keep it stored on that device where you edited it? I'd say it's not, for many users. Because again, if you later wish to use (or simply show off) your creation elsewhere, it would be extremely inconvenient to have the file stored on a single device only, having to manually copy it from that single device whenever you need to access it elsewhere.

As soon as I'm done editing a file, I send it away to the cloud, so that it becomes accessible everywhere. Whereupon it's no longer necessary to keep the local copy of it.
Movie files can be 2GB per every 30 minutes. At least that was the case with my iPhone 4. With the better cameras, it gets to that size for every 3 minutes of video. You save it uncompressed, a HD version, and then a standard version. That's how they tell us to save stuff in school anyway.

Easily gets to being 10GB, that's why the full sized iPad with all that power and RAM is good for. And having to pull that from the cloud would be an absolute nightmare.

You'd probably upload to Vimeo, and then keep everything on an external hard drive. For video, that's the only time you'd need the cloud.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #37
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No doubt: for folks editing hours of uncompressed video files, no standard consumer tablet will quite do, regardless of configuration.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #38
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
with all that power and RAM ...
I had a chuckle at "all that RAM"
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #39
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Did you get an email telling you it would arrive Monday?

When I ordered, I saw on the Apple Store site that they would arrive Monday, but I had engraving added to mine. Do you think this might delay its arrival?
yes Monday.....I didn't do the engraving....that adds 2-4 days to arrival time according to Apple's site....sorry....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #40
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I had a chuckle at "all that RAM"
Still 1 GB on iPad Air and (by assumption) on the iPad mini Retina, eh?

(To be honest, I find 1 GB enough for a tablet.)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #41
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I was joking about the RAM of course. I find 1GB enough too. It's the chips that matter more.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
yes Monday.....I didn't do the engraving....that adds 2-4 days to arrival time according to Apple's site....sorry....
Oh well. I got a second email a while ago letting me know that I should be getting the iPad between the 12th and the 14th. The good news is, I'll be getting the case Thursday, so I can have fun looking at it from various angles until the Air arrives.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #43
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
The good news is, I'll be getting the case Thursday, so I can have fun looking at it from various angles until the Air arrives.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #44
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Oh well. I got a second email a while ago letting me know that I should be getting the iPad between the 12th and the 14th. The good news is, I'll be getting the case Thursday, so I can have fun looking at it from various angles until the Air arrives.
I think you were right to get the biggest storage. You never know how your needs may evolve. And congratulations on your retirement! I hope the iPad arrives earlier than announced.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #45
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
(To be honest, I find 1 GB enough for a tablet.)
Depends on what you do, having more RAM will let you switch between apps faster, as apps can remain in memory rather than having to be reloaded from disk and going through the initialization process again - resuming from a paused state in RAM is obviously that much faster. Of course, if you only use 2 or 3 apps at the same time, you won't get the benefit of more RAM. But more RAM is also a way to future proof a device for OS updates, as we all know the tendency is for new versions to be more RAM heavy as a rule of thumb.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote