Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
mpolo
mpolo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 GSM
Feature Request: online Calibre updates

I'm surprised I didn't see it in when I searched the forum.

It would be great if Calibre had a upgrade process similar to Paint.NET or uTorrent, where the download and upgrade was handled in a one step process.

Not a huge deal, but I think it would improve the user experience overall.

Great product!

Mike
mpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolo View Post
I'm surprised I didn't see it in when I searched the forum.

It would be great if Calibre had a upgrade process similar to Paint.NET or uTorrent, where the download and upgrade was handled in a one step process.

Not a huge deal, but I think it would improve the user experience overall.

Great product!

Mike
I think it has been mentioned before.
Auto-updates are a disaster waiting to happen

Many calibre users run on many different vintages of hardware/OS, some incompatible with the current version. An update would ruin their install and possibly make the DB structure incompatible with a rollback.

Others live in the boonies with limited (or expensive) bandwidth and prefer to wait and sneaker net the update from a place with bigger pipes.

Then there are all the 'run from source' folk

Then there are the Calibre Portable folk

Then there are folk like me, who want to pick the TIME and place. Nothing worse that a reboot/restart required NOW in a tight time situation (Ever see those M$ shutdown Updates: 'Updates in progress, do not power off your computer'. And your battery is almost flat )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....tomatic-update
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
mpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks for the response and the link, sorry I missed it before.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
mpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think it has been mentioned before.
Auto-updates are a disaster waiting to happen

Many calibre users run on many different vintages of hardware/OS, some incompatible with the current version. An update would ruin their install and possibly make the DB structure incompatible with a rollback.

Others live in the boonies with limited (or expensive) bandwidth and prefer to wait and sneaker net the update from a place with bigger pipes.

Then there are all the 'run from source' folk

Then there are the Calibre Portable folk

Then there are folk like me, who want to pick the TIME and place. Nothing worse that a reboot/restart required NOW in a tight time situation (Ever see those M$ shutdown Updates: 'Updates in progress, do not power off your computer'. And your battery is almost flat )
I can see your points about an automatic update service, I was more in favour of a streamlined manual update, but I got the reasoning from Kovid. Thanks for the response.
Advert