Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Toshiba announces the Thrive 7" Android tablet

Well it looks like the tablet battle front is centered around two sizes 10" and 7". You can thank the iPad and nook Color for that.

Since I primarily use my tablet (nook Color with CM7) for reading on the go. The 7" form factor is the format of choice for me.

The 10" Thrive looked like an excellent device with all of the ports necessary to really make the device a true work horse. However the 10" form factor was to big for me. Well it looks like the thrive has read my mind and is delivering a 7" Thrive.

The device looks great so far, we'll have to wait until December to see just how good the device is.

Quote:
Officially dubbed the Toshiba Thrive 7", it'll sport a 1280x800 resolution with Toshiba's Adaptive Display and Resolution+ video enhancements, stereo speakers, a 5MP rear camera and 2MP front camera, and be available in either 16- or 32-gigabytes. It'll run Android 3.2, powered by an NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual processor. (more...)

Last edited by =X=; 09-29-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added youtube video
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Well handling all the tablets from the iPad, to the Asus, the Xoom and so on The Thrive has the best grip bar none. The new Sony is the best ergonomic that is amazing to hold but the thrive has the best texture and feel when holding.

Full size Sd card and USb ports are soo nice. most of my digital camera photos are on full size cards as well as my videos from my Kodak Zi8 so.

I'm picking up the Asus Transformer but mainly because of the laptop dock which also offers full size support. If it weren't for that the Thrive would most likely be my choice.

and you're spot on about the 7 inch size, at least for ebooks, it's best size for it. When I go to use my nook classic, I miss the extra size of my nook color.

Last edited by boswd; 09-28-2011 at 01:03 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I'd have preferred a 7" with full USB and a normal SD slot. Mini-USB with host capability and full SD would have been acceptable.

They got rid of what made the Thrive so awesome - full size ports and full SD.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I'll have to take a look at the 10 inch model. I am leaning towards a 10 inch tablet and still have not made up my mind.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I'd have preferred a 7" with full USB and a normal SD slot. Mini-USB with host capability and full SD would have been acceptable.

They got rid of what made the Thrive so awesome - full size ports and full SD.
I agree, but including them would make them too thick and to large to put in one's pocket.

They do have the removable cover still I suspect that will also mean a removable battery. And still sport (microHDMI, microSD, microUSB hubs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I'll have to take a look at the 10 inch model. I am leaning towards a 10 inch tablet and still have not made up my mind.
It's a good tablet, probably the one I would pick up if I was in the market for a 10" tablet.

I'd get the Samsung Tab for my wife, if I had not already bough her the iPad.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Samsung Tab is the one I am eyeing.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I agree, but including them would make them too thick and to large to put in one's pocket.

=X=
I agree as far as full HDMI (and maaaaybe full usb) but a full size SD card slot should have been doable. Worst loss IMO.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The Samsung Tab is the one I am eyeing.
Yup, I haven't seen anything compelling enough to make me want to upgrade mine yet. And th 7" form factor is perfect for me; big enough to be usable and small enough to fit in my trousers pocket.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I'll be using my tablet for watching videos on airplanes and the internet while traveling or being lazy in the house. I am looking for 10 inches