Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
Cheap 7" LCD reader

I would like to get an LCD reader that displays in color, is at least 7", and can read pdf files. I would like to stay at $100 for it. Any suggestions?
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Nothing then???
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think with your requirements you have a choice between the Jet Book and the Aluratek Libra Pro. Both are one penny under $100. I can not speak for the Jet Book, I don't own one but I like the Libra Pro, its easy to use, slim and fast and is sold by Borders.com for the price that I quoted. The aluratek has a five inch screen.

www.aluratek.com
http://www.borders.com/online/store/...mparison-chart

Please query someone on these forums that owns a jet book for their opinion of the reader. I wont talk about it because I don't own one.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
you could roll the dice with a cheap Chinese tablet, but your best bet is probably the Pocketbook IQ, coming out in the next couple of weeks. It's 140 dollars, but will be set up well for reading with their firmware which is supposed to be good and has a 2 year warranty.

it has a color 7 inch touch screen and will read PDFs.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I think with your requirements you have a choice between the Jet Book and the Aluratek Libra Pro. Both are one penny under $100. I can not speak for the Jet Book, I don't own one but I like the Libra Pro, its easy to use, slim and fast and is sold by Borders.com for the price that I quoted. The aluratek has a five inch screen.

www.aluratek.com
http://www.borders.com/online/store/...mparison-chart

Please query someone on these forums that owns a jet book for their opinion of the reader. I wont talk about it because I don't own one.
Jetbook... not 7" and not color. So how is that a choice?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
primetime34
Zealot

The IQ sounds intriguing. Neither the Jetbook nor the Libre Pro seem to be color screens, which is something that is absolutely essential. Any other thoughts from the community?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
The reader below is available here in Australia and seems to be what you are chasing. I have no idea though on how good its PDF capability is.

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/A345...t-colour-black
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 AM   #8
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
The reader below is available here in Australia and seems to be what you are chasing. I have no idea though on how good its PDF capability is.

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/A345...t-colour-black
I have this reader and it is a heap of junk, it does have a colour TFT screen, but after the first battery drain it is now dead and won't respond to anything, when it was working it was horrible to view and the page turns were painfully slow, my theory is normally that you get what you pay for, but in this case you definately don't.

My advice would be to save a bit more instead of wasting your money on this one, HERE is a previous thread referring to it.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
You could get a pandigital novel (white model, not black) with some coupons/price matching/rebates pretty close to $100 from either Kohl's or Bed, Bath, and Beyond. You would have to hack it to make it much better than stock though (see slatedroid.com).
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
primetime34
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
You could get a pandigital novel (white model, not black) with some coupons/price matching/rebates pretty close to $100 from either Kohl's or Bed, Bath, and Beyond. You would have to hack it to make it much better than stock though (see slatedroid.com).
That sounds like a realistic option. I can get the 30% coupon for Kohls and use that. It would get it to $120. When you say the white one, you mean this one http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/elec...in+eReader.jsp right? I am very comfortable hacking whatever, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Is there some matching/coupon/rebate thing I'm not aware of that you could help me out with? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I'd love to hear about how to get it down to 100, too. This is basically the same hardware as the IQ (I think it has a slower processor and lacks the metal body and pocketbooks firmware)
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
You can ask for a Walgreens price match:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/pan...021970-product

You can then use the coupon. If you go on the slatedroid forums they have a whole thread about deals/discounts/coupons. Many of the Slatedroid members got one for $100 or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
That sounds like a realistic option. I can get the 30% coupon for Kohls and use that. It would get it to $120. When you say the white one, you mean this one http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/elec...in+eReader.jsp right? I am very comfortable hacking whatever, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Is there some matching/coupon/rebate thing I'm not aware of that you could help me out with? Thanks.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
primetime34
Zealot

Just got the pandigital novel last night at Kohls. With coupon, Kohl's cash, and the mail in rebate my total cost is going to be $80.50. I put the custom firmware on it last night. It is going to work perfectly for my children! Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
The Kohl's web site says no longer available. The Walgreen's site doesn't have a 'check your local store' link...

The pandigital looks interesting though.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
primetime34
Zealot

I had to get mine from my local Kohls which had multiple units available.