Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
temp
temp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb why call it e-reader?

i've been thinking. the e-reader is actually a low budget computer with very comfortable to read screen and low weight. wouldn't it be better if we just call it an eink-computer or something like that?
companies could just release a few basic programs, a developing environment, and the required libraries, and let the open source community deal with language compatibility, calender and whatever application that the community needs? this could help reduce the price since the software developing would be cheaper and support would cost less!
temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Because I don't want a pocket computer with an e-ink screen. I want a book reader with an e-ink screen: an electronic reader...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #3
temp
temp began at the beginning.

if it would be simple book reader there wouldn't be so many extras such as speakers, wifi, calender, home screen, browser. there is already an operating system in the background. admit it, it's a computer!

i'm just saying sell it simple as a computer with nothing installed on it, and let everyone upload/write whatever application they want.
temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
The same reason things like Gameboys or mobile phones aren't called computers. If they called it a computer they wouldn't attract their target audience. Plus a lot of the manufacturers want to tie you into their own book shop, so they wouldn't want people putting their own programs on it. A rival book shop might develop a program that lets people read their books on a competitor's device.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp View Post
if it would be simple book reader there wouldn't be so many extras such as speakers, wifi, calender, home screen, browser. there is already an operating system in the background. admit it, it's a computer!
My toaster probably has an operating system. Does that make it a computer? As for my ebook reader, it neither has speakers, wifi, a calendar, a home screen or a browser. What does that make it?

Quote:
i'm just saying sell it simple as a computer with nothing installed on it, and let everyone upload/write whatever application they want.
While that's a noble thing in theory, in practice, it just won't work. Asking people to *gasp* setup or configure a gadget right after buying it is too much for 90% of the populace. Even charging the batteries can be asking too much.
As for your implied OSS development of reader software, or OSS in general: While it's a fine principle, many open source projects are geared toward an audience that is somewhat more educated on computer usage than the "average" user. There be dangers in just asking everyone to please use what some geeks (no insult intended, I consider myself one) cobbled together in their spare time. (And again, no insult inteded towards the world of OSS, it's just that I wouldn't, for example, ask my mum to use most of the open source programs there are.)
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
It's a liseuse! (that sound you can hear, that's TGS running for cover).
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
It's an electronic device that reads ebooks. Thus, an ebook reader.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #8
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
i've been thinking. the e-reader is actually a low budget computer with very comfortable to read screen and low weight. wouldn't it be better if we just call it an eink-computer or something like that?
You've made me wonder why we still call a computer a computer. When it got its name, that's basically what it did - compute complicated sums faster than a person could do it. Now compute is what it probably does least of all - maybe when you have the calculator application open or update a spreadsheet.

For the rest of the time it's more likely to be surfing the web, managing your email, recording your keystrokes in your latest best-seller, helping you to enact the life of a tomb raider or a counterstrike team member, etc.

So what's your new word for a computer? E-reader or even e-book reader seems to fit the bill wonderfully for something with which I spend 99.76% of my time reading e-books!
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #9
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
companies could just release a few basic programs, a developing environment, and the required libraries, and let the open source community deal with language compatibility, calender and whatever application that the community needs? this could help reduce the price since the software developing would be cheaper and support would cost less!
There's nothing to stop a company doing that if they wish. I imagine all the companies that make e-readers think they'll sell more, and thus make more money, by marketing them as dedicated e-readers.

Many electronic items have computers, and could run other software if the companies opened them up. Some people hack them and make them run other software anyway. But they're not called computers because they're not intended to be general-purpose devices, they're designed to do one or two jobs. We own a Roomba robot vacuum cleaner - it's got a computer, it can be hacked to do all sorts of things, but it's sold as a vacuum cleaner because more people will pay for a robot vacuum cleaner than will pay for a short, cylindrical robot.

Last edited by avantman42; 09-28-2010 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Minor typo fix
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Its my little big box of books, and I'm going to love it, and squeeze it and call it George.

For me its not so much how its made, what is is, as what it does, hence ebook reader or E-Reader.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a dingus.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
"e-reader" to me define a device whose main purpose is reading. If go go adding apps and all, e-ink tablet would be more appropiate word.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I still prefer to use "book".

I'm reading a book. As simple as that...

*goes after TGS with a shotgun*
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I still prefer to use "book".

I'm reading a book. As simple as that...

*goes after TGS with a shotgun*
I sometimes refers to my cybook as "bouquin", that's a French word for book.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-04-2010 at 05:56 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
It's an electronic device that reads ebooks. Thus, an ebook reader.
Actually, it does not *read* your book. It *displays* your book(s)
(Yes, I know, som newer ebook-readers do read it out loud for you)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
You've made me wonder why we still call a computer a computer. When it got its name, that's basically what it did - compute complicated sums faster than a person could do it.
That's not entirely correct. A "computer" in the "olden days" was a person who did mathematical computations. "human computers".

Wikipedia article
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote