Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
ErikaGC
ErikaGC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Considering getting a Kindle Fire HD

For starters, I have the Kindle (no keyboard), I use often.
Really love it, but somehow I feel like it is time for a change. So I have been considering the Kindle Fire HD. What I was wondering was, will I be able to have my ebooks on the kindle fire?
Since I have some downloaded ebooks and some bought, I don't want to get the KFHD if I wont be able to read the downloaded ebooks.
Will I still be able to transfer them as easily as the Kindle? Can I still use Calibre?
If I CAN still have the downloaded ebooks will I be able to edit them and send them to the KFHD?

Would also like your opinion on the KFHD. Should I even be considering getting it?

ErikaGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You certainly can read your books on the Fire, but personally I find the reading app on the Fire to be not as good as using an eInk Kindle (in fact I returned my Fire HD). Yes, you can transfer your books with Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
ErikaGC
ErikaGC began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You certainly can read your books on the Fire, but personally I find the reading app on the Fire to be not as good as using an eInk Kindle (in fact I returned my Fire HD). Yes, you can transfer your books with Calibre.
So I won't be able to read the ebooks directly like in the kindle?
I won't be able to have them on the carousel?
ErikaGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
With the Fire HD (and most other tablets), you can download lots of book apps like Kobo, Nook, Play Books, Sony, Aldiko, Bluefire, Mantano, etc; and read what you want. You won't be locked into Amazon's ecosystem.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaGC View Post
So I won't be able to read the ebooks directly like in the kindle?
I won't be able to have them on the carousel?
Certainly you can, yes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
For starters, I have the Kindle (no keyboard), I use often. Really love it, but somehow I feel like it is time for a change. So I have been considering the Kindle Fire HD.
I have the Kindle 4 (no-touch) that I got December 2011 and just got the Kindle Fire HD December 2012, so it sounds like you're in the same place I was just a few months ago. There's definitely advantages to both, and you will probably find yourself using both for different functions.

Quote:
What I was wondering was, will I be able to have my ebooks on the kindle fire? Since I have some downloaded ebooks and some bought, I don't want to get the KFHD if I wont be able to read the downloaded ebooks. Will I still be able to transfer them as easily as the Kindle? Can I still use Calibre? If I CAN still have the downloaded ebooks will I be able to edit them and send them to the KFHD?
Yes to....all of that. The only books I've downloaded to my Fire are the ones from Calibre. I don't keep Amazon-only books on there as I do my Kindle 4. The reason is because of functionality. Out of the box, without app integration, there's not really a collections system on the Fire HD, so if you're like me and have hundreds of books you normally keep on your device, it's a bit cumbersome. However, if you keep a small archive on the device, it's not bad. Also, with the new update, you get time-to-read functionality, which I'm starting to enjoy. And reading full-color comics on the Fire HD cannot be beat! That's one of the things I love most about reading on the Fire HD.

Be aware that Calibre / Kindle Fire HD don't work well together on Windows XP, but they work fine on Windows 7 (I use my Win7 computer for my Fire, my XP for my Kindle 4, with the archives shared between them).

Quote:
Would also like your opinion on the KFHD. Should I even be considering getting it?
It depends on what you want to use it for. Do you just want an e-reader (color ability not important)? Then a tablet might be overkill. Do you want the ability to use apps, check email, read color comics, watch high-quality videos, and have the functionality of a tablet? Then the Kindle Fire HD is great and you should definitely consider it.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Just before the Fire came out, I bought a Kindle 4 non touch to travel with. I like it a lot. I loaded it with my paperwork, reading material, and local menus and it kept me busy in transit and when dining alone. I was very happy with it except, 1) it was difficult to read in dim light, and 2) it was difficult to navigate technical books with large images -- the images were simply too small to read.

I got a fire when it was available, and have not used the kindle much since. The k4 is only used when 1) reading by the pool, 2) someone is using my fire, or 3) the fire's battery is discharged.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm just curious, Harry. Was it the display you didn't like, or something about the interface? I just got mine last night so I haven't really formed an opinion, but it seems to be just fine. It's kinda neat the way you can slooowwlly turn the page and look at both at once. Not anything you'd want to do unless you want to impress somebody, but still kinda neat.

The thing I miss about the interface in both the PW and the HD is the ability to swipe up and down to move through a book a chapter at a time. (sigh) What are ya gonna do...
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
tommyr
Just add water!
tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.

I would wait until they solve the fast battery drain issue. It's driving us nuts. WAIT.
tommyr is offline   Reply With Quote