Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Joshua Shapiro
Joshua Shapiro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help with Table of Contents - I lose it somehow?

To a Sigil Expert,

By using Sigil and studying the html - xhtml code
I have figured out a way to get our cover to appear
on the first page for an ePub ebook

however after Atlantis creates our ePub ebook with
our table of contents working, I discovered when
I make changes to our ePub ebook (only the first
page to make it a coverpage) that our table of
contents disappears (i.e. - it is not saved)

now when I view the contents of the ePub ebook
I do not see the extra file created which holds
the links for the table of contents

is there someone (as this is all holding us back)
who knows why the table of contents isn't saved
when we make any changes to our ePub ebook
in Sigil

thank you

Joshua
Joshua Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
There is a lot of threads on the subject ...

Long story short: if you use a version of Sigil <= 3.4.0 , you lose the original epub file TOC; if you use it the 4.0beta/release candidate versions, you get the feature of preserving the original TOC, with the caveat that it's not a "production-ready" version (i.e. there's more than a few bugs ).

Last edited by cuthbert19; 06-16-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: typos
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
do you mean the internal ePub TOC or a external one? The internal one is covered in the toc.ncx file.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Joshua Shapiro
Joshua Shapiro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cuthbert - thanks for the update, I just tried it with .4 and it worked like a champ, also .4 shows the other files I read should be in the ePub file

so I believe I have now the techniques with the tools to create an ePub book with photos which looks ok with epubreader in Firefox and Adobe Editions

Toxaris - I guess I meant the internal one - toc.ncx which now I see this file in .4 of Sigil

thank you both for this help - Toxaris - hoe gaat het met je?

Joshua
Joshua Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Shapiro View Post
so I believe I have now the techniques with the tools to create an ePub book with photos which looks ok with epubreader in Firefox and Adobe Editions
Hi Joshua,

I would suggest that you see what it looks like with a portable ereader (Nook, Sony or such). They look a whole lot different and sometimes you can get some unpleasant surprises. How they appear on a computer screen is not a good test of whether or not it is ready for prime time.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Shapiro View Post
Toxaris - I guess I meant the internal one - toc.ncx which now I see this file in .4 of Sigil

thank you both for this help - Toxaris - hoe gaat het met je?

Joshua
The toc.ncx is also present in the 0.3.4 version, but not visible. That one would be overwritten. Usually that is not much of a problem. Please be aware that apparently the 0.4-branch is not yet stable. Personally I have not had many issues, but some have.

Met mij gaat het prima.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote