Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Major General
Zealot
Major General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmos

Device: Newest KF 10, iPad, iPad Mini
Looking for 7+ inch E-Ink ereader in current generation of devices

I need a reader to replace my PRS-650. I'm really thinking that a slightly bigger screen would be nice, but I REALLY prefer e-ink and I don't want to use my iPad as my main reading device.

So, what e-reader options are there out there now in the CURRENT generation of devices (i don't want to pick up a used PRS-950) with a 7-inch screen?
Major General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
there are none
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Major General
Zealot
Major General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmos

That...sucks. Is there some kind of problem with e-ink and the larger screen?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Onyx Boox has a large screen model (9.7 inches). This might be larger than what you are looking for. I think that the model is called the m92. There is also the Kindle DX, which also has a 9.7 inch screen, but I'm not sure if it satisfies your condition that it be a current generation device.

I completely understand you wanting a slightly larger screen. Personally, I think an 8 inch screen (like the old iRex 8 inch screens) are a great size for ebook readers. I don't like the trend in only offering 6 inch ebook readers that seems to be prevalent.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Didn't Pocketbook also put out a 9.7" model? I think it was said to be better than Onyx's.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Major General
Zealot

9.7" is too big for me--that's the size of my iPad. Don't want to use something that big for reading. Why the !#@@!# is it that there are multiple 7" readers with LCD, but nothing in the e-ink category now? Do the companies really think this doesn't matter to people?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
It is mostly marketing. Even though it is total nonsense, the powers that be have decided that once an e-ink device is bigger than 6" the user will buy a tablet. That "spend a little more and get more functionality" crap. Of course, what good is that extra functionality when paired with an LCD screen?

Last edited by HansTWN; 05-13-2012 at 06:38 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Most people are happy with the portability of the 6 inch screens. The 950 was suppose to be great but I don't think it sold that well and was limited to the US. The DX did not sell that well with it's 9 inch screen. The larger e-ink readers seem to be to specialized a niche market to justify for most companies.

I have been reading on my IPad a lot and have found it be pretty easy to read on.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Most people are happy with the portability of the 6 inch screens. The 950 was suppose to be great but I don't think it sold that well and was limited to the US. The DX did not sell that well with it's 9 inch screen. The larger e-ink readers seem to be to specialized a niche market to justify for most companies.

I have been reading on my IPad a lot and have found it be pretty easy to read on.
While 6 inch screens are a great size for most people and are highly portable, I do think that the pricing of larger devices played a large part in their poor sales. Poor marketing may have played a part as well.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only 7 inch model I know of was the 950 and all the Sony's were far too expensive. The 9 inch models are all really expensive.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
The 9 inch models are all really expensive.
They really are. I had wanted to purchase one (most likely the Kindle DX), but ultimately decided to get an iPad, as the price difference between the two wasn't all that large. iRex had 8 inch screen devices (and even larger ones as well), but they were very expensive. Their cheapest device (if I recall correctly) was $400. I loved the form factor of their DR800, though.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Since getting my IPad, I have a feeling that my DX usage is going to drop.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Since getting my IPad, I have a feeling that my DX usage is going to drop.
Eek! Don't tell me that, I'm going to get gadget upgrade envy!

(I love my iPad 2, but I really think that a better display would make a big difference when reading all of my articles on it - I'm tempted to upgrade to the iPad 3, but I want to hold out until the next iteration and gift the iPad 2 to my dad.)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Hold out. Knowing Apple the IPad 4 will be released in 6 months.

I actually don't know their cycle but I know that they are the kings of releasing new products pretty fast.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Hold out. Knowing Apple the IPad 4 will be released in 6 months.

I actually don't know their cycle but I know that they are the kings of releasing new products pretty fast.
1 year from the iPad 3's release so that's still at least a good 10 months from now (at least for the flagship model - rumors regarding a mini iPad later this year might very well turn out to be true). That's actually longer compared to other companies. I mean, doesn't Samsung release a new tablet like every 3 months or something?

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-14-2012 at 12:34 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote