Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalebarde View Post
Thanks markom. Is it correct to say that with koreader (aka kindlepdfviewer), a 6" device is alright for A4 pdf ? Could you please post a video, none exist with multicolumn follow-up with just next page button click (no adjustment required, no move with the finger, and so on) ? If you do it with your DX and big fonts, it would be equivalent to normal font on a 6".
A 6" device is good for reading 2-column A4 pdf if there is 2-column option or if we adjust pdf beforehand using k2pdfopt, the same goes if pdf reflow option like in Sony Prs T1 is slow and you don't want to wait 5 seconds for the next page.

If pdf is common single columned A4, we should use reflow option in k2pdfopt(for both scanned or textual pdf) or better use 10" reader.

In kindlepdfviewer's 2-column mode on Kindle dx we use joypad (up/down & left/right) for navigation, similar to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moiRFi6Ttp4

There is also reflow option for one or two column pdf.

Last edited by markom; 11-02-2013 at 05:01 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As it is under Linux, we can expect to be able to use any pdf reader, including koreader.
If it won't be possible or there will be speed issues with pdf rendering like with 8" PocketBook Color Lux, we can use k2pdfopt to quickly and easily crop&adjust pdf beforehand for Ocean's resolution and size.

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

Last edited by markom; 11-02-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
And, it's e-ink, not e-link.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
If you want, I can take some pictures of you papers on my Onyx M92.
I use A4 paper, PDF, djvu or DOC (MS Word).
Somewhere, I've post some pictures of a textbook from my M92. Someone else take the same file and crop the PDF and take some picture of an 6" device to compare. The pictures were taken with a ruler for the scale.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Thanks for your answer HarryT, but LCD is not a valid reply for me, e-link is a must (I already had such a 9" device). It is B&W, it is slow, but I won't go back to something else at any price.
Good luck finding that ;-)

There is not such device (a good one I mean, fast and with good warranty). Closest thing is a Kindle DXG. It is eink, 10 inches, but has not been updated in years.

This is a very common question here and the answer is usually the same.

PDFs are not ebooks and because their complex layouts and format, they render really slow on eink screens. This is because the refresh rate and actual CPU and RAM limitations of eink readers.

Most people read novels, fiction books, so companies are selling 6 inches readers in order to maximize profit.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
For e-ink pdf, I'd go with a tablet OR an Ipad. It is the primary reason why I kept my Nook tablet when I no longer needed the other features. It isn't just because of the larger size, but the apps you can get that let you make notes and links. There are several for android devices. I would also look to see what is available for the Ipad and make your decision based on what works for your specific needs rather than the advantages/disadvantages of any one brand.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
For e-ink pdf, I'd go with a tablet OR an Ipad.
You seem a little confused: an iPad is not an eInk device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #23
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
lalebard, I got a 9.2" Pocketbook (similar to Onix M92, but no pearl screen) for the same reasons as you, but one thing I had not considered is that larger screens are more fragile, you definitely have to hold the device with two hands (surely pick it up with two hands) to minimise the risk of breaking the glass substrate, and the short of it is that it is not really portable, so on work trips I ended up reading academic pdfs on my 5" device in landscape mode. I've done it for years - not ideal, of course, but it can be done, and I've read academic techincal books (statistics, maths) on it for hours. What I found of paramount importance is that the pdf renderer is good. Pocketbook's is excellent, but now you have koreader on Kindles and Kobos, so they become an alternative, too.

Personally if I did not still have the Pocketbook, I'd go for the Aura HD, which I am told has a great definition (but I have never seen it in the flesh) and a relatively large screen while being only marginally larger than the PW (which is larger and heavier than the Aura non HD).

I think it is possible to read on 6" devices (in which case the Pocketbook Touch Lux would also be an option, their pdf viewer is really very good, and you can also read djvu files) comfortably (at least I can), but this is a very personal thing, and as you have seen others here do find it an absolute no-no.
If you would have no other uses for your ereader if it were not to perform as you want it to with academic pdf, I'd try and see if you can borrow one from a friend and see how you find it, though I realise this may be quite hard to do.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You seem a little confused: an iPad is not an eInk device.
Neither is the average tablet...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
True.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #26
RabbitWho
RabbitWho began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo ("Globo")
I converted my notes to epub (using calibre) and I have no problem reading them with Kobo glo.. Anotating is possible, though it's a little cumbersome, but that will always be the case without a mouse and a keyboard..*brainwave* Or a stylus.. yeah maybe get a stylus!

I am just guessing but I imagine Kindle Paperwhite is almost the same thing but you'd have to convert to mobi.
RabbitWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:48 AM   #27
lalebarde
Connoisseur
lalebarde began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC daily edition
I have just tested the Pocketbook Touch Lux in a store, it is very good with multi-columns pdf. I tested 2 and 3 columns pdf. Turning the page drives you through the columns and from the bottom of one to the top of the next one. Very nice. Exactly what I was looking for. Then 6" is not a problem any more, except with some pdf with a complex layout like one column in the top of the page and two in the rest.

I have tested also the reflow mode, but it is unusable due to the very very slow reactivity (more than one minute to turn a page), and a very bad rendering. But with the multicolumn mode, this reflow mode may be useless anyway.

But now, there is the Pocketbook Touch Lux 2 with a more powerful cpu and twice more RAM. So, reflow may work now. Unfortunatly, it is not yet available in the store I went to yesterday.

I will probably order it, since the price is very attractive.

@paola: I read the kobo Aura is very bad at pdf.
lalebarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #28
markom
Banned

f
Quote:
I have just tested the Pocketbook Touch Lux in a store, it is very good with multi-columns pdf. I tested 2 and 3 columns pdf. Turning the page drives you through the columns and from the bottom of one to the top of the next one. Very nice. Exactly what I was looking for. Then 6" is not a problem any more, except with some pdf with a complex layout like one column in the top of the page and two in the rest.

Pretty much all popular e-readers feature 2-column mode, but when we are not satisfied with our readers's 2-column mode we should use k2pdfdopt to crop pdf beforehand.

e.g.

Sony PRS-T1 has good 2-column mode which can be paired with manual or automatic crop, but it would not usually fit the column perfectly (crop empty margins completely) and we usually want every single mm of 6" screen used, for smaller fonts.

Also, as you said, 2-column mode would cut those one-column parts vertically in half.

Also, we cannot use Sony's handwriting mode without leaving 2-column mode for normal view, and it usually takes 5 seconds with couple of additional button clicks to do that and get back to 2-column mode again.

All those problems are easily circumvented by using k2pdfopt's 2-column mode, so that text will be automaticaly zoomed-in completely, its one-column parts will be automaticaly zoomed in or out to fit screen completely and handwriting can be easily done on every page without leaving it for normal view, also OCR layer will stay there so that we can use highlighting, annotation, dictionary etc. without a need for additional OCR-ing.

If our reader is older or slower, using k2pdfopt's 2-column mode (as bitmap better than native) or k2pdfopt reflow mode, shall also result in quicker page turning, so that A5 pdfs or two-column A4 pds or pdfs with complex compression (processor demanding) would pose no problem for any 6" e-reader there anymore, also scanned pdfs shall show mathematical expresions without any mistakes because k2pdfopt doesn't reflow OCR layer but scanned image itself.

example:

2-column pdf
http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/examp...-alternate.pdf

cropped with k2pdfopt in 5 seconds (bitmap mode) for Kindle's dimensions.
http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/examp...nate_k2opt.pdf

cropped in native mode (pdf stays vector as original) in attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sig-alternate_k2opt.pdf (528.5 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by markom; 05-07-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #29
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
_____
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #30
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
The empty post wasn't a mistake. You can press QUOTE to figure out how i did that. Please dont delete it moderators.

I hope You get the hint. Hopefuly in the future it will change.

Last edited by user743; 05-07-2014 at 02:59 PM.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multicolumn, pdf reflow