Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #61
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
AFAIK -- As Far As I Know

I have to look these things up about a quarter of the time. (I'm laughing at me, not you -- just to be clear)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #62
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
So! As of now, all we have is BD as a conversion tool to LRF ?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #63
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
AFAIK -- As Far As I Know

I have to look these things up about a quarter of the time. (I'm laughing at me, not you -- just to be clear)
, sorry!

astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsimon View Post
One further question before embarking on experiments with BD: is it Vista (32-bit) compatible? I'd rather not start messing with it if that is going to cause trouble from an OS perspective. I'll just live with the RTF files I've been making so far...
In theory, yes, as long as you install it in "My Documents" rather than "Program Files", and download and installed the "DHTML Editor" control from microsoft.com that's a standard part of XP, but not supplied as standard with Vista.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #65
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
So! As of now, all we have is BD as a conversion tool to LRF ?
There's a bunch of others, the Wiki has a good list.
Advert
Old 06-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ABC AMber Sony Converter will only convert from LRF. But it loses the attributes such as bold and italics. It also loses the graphics if there are any. It still needs work. There is no ABC AMber converter to convert to LRF.

We have some very nice tools here to convert to LRF. Book Designer, html2lrf, and Pielrf are three programs not to mention all the PDF fixeruppers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #67
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
for me this would be neccessary

This would be a great tool, if it only could handle .lrx files (DRM protected)

I will not buy any books unless I can be sure that I can use it in my next reader, and that my kids can use it on theirs. So for now it sadly means that I can only buy books in LIT format, or unprotected. If a tool to unprotect sony reader files was available, I'd be able to get books from the connect store....

But as far as I can see, DRM protected books are not handled (yet?)
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ABC Amber converters never have supported DRM on any format.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:17 AM   #69
mlkmnz
Enthusiast
mlkmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We have some very nice tools here to convert to LRF. Book Designer, html2lrf, and Pielrf are three programs not to mention all the PDF fixeruppers.
To be honest I disagree. I've toyed with all of them and find them to be buggy and just plain difficult to use (from the perspective of someone who's never really dealt with command line interface much). PDFRasterfarian being the exception.

Something along the lines of ABC Amber is excellent - open source file, select format, press "go" and thats that. Idiot proof (call me an idiot if you may). At present most of the tools available simply aren't very user friendly and accesible to someone who isn't a coder or boffin. In this day and age I just can't be assed wafting through piles of documentation and forums to do something as simple as converting one text format to another when on the other hand I can edit HD Video or design a website without even opening the manual.

This is not to say that there hasnt been some fine work done on LRF conversion tools, but a lot of its aimed at a very technical audience.

Last edited by mlkmnz; 06-21-2007 at 05:20 AM.
mlkmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #70
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmnz View Post
This is not to say that there hasnt been some fine work done on LRF conversion tools, but a lot of its aimed at a very technical audience.
No so with BD.

You only have to open a file, select sony reader and press make.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:48 AM   #71
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yup, BD is very GUI.

Once you get its settings the way you want them it's largely drop and click, and there's a wonderful tutorial for using it here.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BD is good, but it's not perfect. Eg, it has a habit of thinking that the word "I" on a line on its own is a chapter title, which can mess up in dialogue scenes in books, where it's not uncommon to get that. It's a good idea, after loading the book, to quickly use the "Element Browser" tool to ensure that the titles are what you expect them to be.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #73
mlkmnz
Enthusiast
mlkmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Yup, BD is very GUI.

Once you get its settings the way you want them it's largely drop and click, and there's a wonderful tutorial for using it here.
Yup, I'm fully aware BD is gui. Its also buggy (under vista anyway) and has mixed results. Oh and whats that youve linked to? Ah, a guide on how to use the program I need to read to get decent results instead of the software being intuitive or simple enough not to require said guide.
mlkmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmnz View Post
Yup, I'm fully aware BD is gui. Its also buggy (under vista anyway) and has mixed results. Oh and whats that youve linked to? Ah, a guide on how to use the program I need to read to get decent results instead of the software being intuitive or simple enough not to require said guide.
It's not that difficult to pick up. There are a few things that you won't know just by using BD with no instruction. However, what I plan on doing is posting a beginners setup using screen grabs and also posting my Book Cleaner files. This way, you'll have all the proper initial settings and can go from there. I shall be doing this before Sunday.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

To be honest about ABC Amber, I appreciate the effort put into them, but some of the conversion leave something to be desired. I don't like the LRF converter or the LIT converter. The LRF converted does not handle graphics and it loses the text style(s). The LIT converter screws up on italics and loses the space at the beginning of the italics. I think it was written based on CLIT 1.2 where as CLIT 1.8 fixes that bug.