Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.0

Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.0

We have a new, free software update available for the Kindle Paperwhite that you can download. The software update will be delivered automatically via wireless to your Kindle Paperwhite in the coming weeks or you can download it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201064850

New features in this update include:
* Improved Fonts: We have made changes to Palatino, Baskerville, and Futura fonts to make them look even better on Kindle Paperwhite. You will notice this when reading books, as well as in menus. We've also improved the Japanese and Chinese fonts on your Kindle and tuned spacing to provide a better reading experience.
* Turn off Recommended Content in Home: You can now turn on or off recommended content from the Kindle Store on the Home screen.
* Smoother sample-to-book experience: When you buy the book after reading the sample, we will now automatically start the book at your last reading location in the sample and remove the sample from your Kindle.
* Easier access to Settings: When reading a book, you can now access Settings directly from the menu.
* Simplified Chinese Support: You can now use your Kindle Paperwhite in Simplified Chinese.
* Improved Manga: We've added a new Fit-to-Screen Mode that improves the readability of Manga and maximizes the use of your Kindle screen.
* Page Refresh in Comics and Manga: You can now specify a page refresh setting for comic books and manga independent of the refresh setting for books.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Wow, that sounds great. Did you download the update?

I, once again, ordered the Paperwhite today. Delivery date December 24! I have read better reviews so I really, really want one.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you for the link! I updated. So nice to be able to remove the recommendations without disabling the store. Also, making it easier to access settings is so much nicer. The fonts do seem to look a little better too.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I just updated mine. The fonts do look better plus I agree, it's great to finally turn off recommendations in cover view without the need for parental controls
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
For anyone who has the ability to do so, I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the fonts before and after the update.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I updated.
I can't tell any difference in fonts. They still look very washed out for me, compared to my KT.
Being able to turn off recommended content without having to disable the store is nice. I appreciate easier access to settings.

Overall... meh... not much here. I was expecting more from fonts - it was obvious that a patch was needed. I think we will soon see another one...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Ah well I'm going to do the update. I hope I don't regret it like I did with the last update for the kindle keyboard.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Nicky_oz
Enthusiast
Nicky_oz doesn't litterNicky_oz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, Nook, Kindle Keyboard, iPad.
how does one turn off recommended content? is it as simple as going to list view?
Nicky_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Nicky_oz
Enthusiast
Nicky_oz doesn't litterNicky_oz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, Nook, Kindle Keyboard, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I updated.
I can't tell any difference in fonts. They still look very washed out for me, compared to my KT.
Being able to turn off recommended content without having to disable the store is nice. I appreciate easier access to settings.

Overall... meh... not much here. I was expecting more from fonts - it was obvious that a patch was needed. I think we will soon see another one...
I completely agree, i cannot tell the bloody difference. And I cannot work out how to turn off recommended content, I have a special offers one , so perhaps i'm not able to.
Amazon why do you make simple things so hard, I'm missing my first gen Nook already!
Nicky_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Only a few of the fonts were changed. Did you try the ones that were changed? Although I'm guessing you likely did. The change is very subtle. I agree they could still use more work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_oz View Post
I completely agree, i cannot tell the bloody difference. And I cannot work out how to turn off recommended content, I have a special offers one , so perhaps i'm not able to.
Amazon why do you make simple things so hard, I'm missing my first gen Nook already!
Hit the settings button, choose device options, then personalize your kindle, then under recommended content turn it off.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Thanks for the heads up!
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_oz View Post
My guess is, this one is intentionally hidden...
But yes, it's es Sparkle described above. It worked for me, but my PW is also non-SO.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Am I imagining things, or did the update change the color temperature? Mine is different now.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Am I imagining things, or did the update change the color temperature? Mine is different now.
Other than possibly altering the brightness levels, a FW update cannot change the LEDs temperature. You get what you got. The temperature of an LED is based on the LED itself and whatever coating gets applied to it.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I see no difference in the font(s), but I do appreciate easier access to Settings, and consequently the WiFi on/off (Airplane Mode as Amazon prefers to call it).
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote