Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #46
skreutzer
Software Developer
skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
To be more practical: I've just completed the first package that will do an entire workflow out of the box. Just download the pre-prepared package for your corresponding Java VM and operating system (the latter is only relevant because of the convenience shell or batch scripts to execute Java by double click), unpack the ZIP file, execute $/workflows/run_check (make sure that the Java VM version matches with the downloaded package, and that a Java VM is installed at all), execute $/workflows/run_setup1, then execute both $/workflows/run_odt2epub1 and $/workflows/run_odt2pdf1 (LaTeX installation required) on an OpenOffice/LibreOffice document that was created by using the $/odt2html/templates/template1/template1.ott template, so you'll find (if no error occurs) a $/workflows/temp/epub/out.epub, $/workflows/temp/pdf/output.pdf and $/workflows/temp/output_4.html.

I've now too rented a vServer and installed a Java VM on it, so I'll experiment to set up the processing workflow as a service that can be integrated with online e-book creation and distribution websites.
skreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #47
skreutzer
Software Developer
skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

It works! The very same tools which can be used for offline processing can also be used online as a service after a little web programming to interact with them. This way, one isn't limited to pre-defined packages, one can also provide processing facilities to others and integrate them with larger online publishing and distribution systems. A very primitive tech demo with only odt2html1 online conversion can be seen here:

http://www.publishing-systems.org

The next task is to set up the entire workflows just like in the offline version and to add more and more web-specific additions.
Advert
Old 12-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #48
skreutzer
Software Developer

You might have noticed that I'm not updating this thread regularly, since one can look up the news at the links given. However, as an important milestone is reached, you might want to look at this:

http://vimeo.com/114590258

For people who are restricted from accessing Vimeo or YouTube:

http://publishing-systems.org/odt2all2_workflow.ogv

The video shows how several semantic (= template-based) OpenOffice/LibreOffice documents get converted into various output formats automatically.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #49
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
My workflow is trending in that direction. I've historically written in AppleWorks, and I wrote a custom translation tool that converts its terribly broken HTML output into somewhat more regular HTML, and another tool that translates that HTML into some approximation of DocBook XML, based on a set of rules about how to recognize section and chapter breaks that are pretty specific to my books. But that's my legacy path for existing books.

Going forward, my new editing tool is a semi-WYSIWYG DocBook XML editor that I wrote, using WebKit as the rendering engine (with some very critical bug fixes from WebKit bug #15256).

From there, I use a set of custom Perl scripts to perform various fixups on the XML (e.g. adding magic wrap hint markers after em dashes and en dashes, adding custom hyphenation hints for certain words that I've identified as problematic, etc.)

From there, I use some Perl scripts to translate the DocBook XML subset into EPUB, and DBLaTeX to translate it into PDFs for print, with piles of custom XSL and LaTeX macros.

My EPUB title pages are produced by feeding a tiny fragment of the XML through my PDF process to produce a single-page PDF, then using Inkscape to translate the PDF into SVG.

And, of course, I use epubcheck in my post-processing validation pass.

I'm pretty sure that the only non-free, non-custom software I'm using at this point is kindlegen, for producing the MOBI files from a somewhat modified version of the EPUB.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #50
skreutzer
Software Developer

Thank you very much for your description, I almost thought that noone else outside of the publishing houses works on this kind of workflow automatization ;-)

Both the front-end (DocBook XML editor) and magic wrap hint markers as well as hyphenation hints are topics I haven't looked into very deeply, but for sure I'll need to work on it sooner or later. However, I haven't written a single line of Perl yet.

Would you consider to freely license your code, under GNU AGPLv3 and any later version? Do you think it is possible and of value to generalize your tools, so they can be used for all kinds of projects? Where can I learn more about them?
Advert

Tags
automated processing, epub, pdf, xhtml, xml