Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #1441
hitower
hitower began at the beginning.

Device: Kindl PW 2
Unhappy

ok, thx. JB was 1.10.
hitower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 AM   #1442
samhfoley
Enthusiast
samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle voyage and paperwhite 2
Just got back on my feet on 5.6.1 thanks to the latest fix, but my screensaver Cover hack is no longer working. When I upload the python installer I no longer see the Update my Kindle in settings. Please advise.
samhfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2014, 03:24 AM   #1443
LucyDrew
LucyDrew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Unhappy idiot needs help?

Hi, idiot here who just can't figure out how to get this screen saver hack to work.
this is actually my second time trying i tried like a year ago and eventually gave up because i couldn't make the hack work.

I have a kindle paperwhite 2 (i'm 90% sure its international because i'm Canadian but it was a gift so it might be american?)
my serial code starts with 90D4 if that helps.

Anyway I have tried to follow both your instructions, reddit's instructions and a random youtubers instructions for the hack and my device's update is always greyed out. so i'm unable to put the hack into action

I've dragged the jailbreak into my kindle's root but when i unplug it: the update button stays grey.

like i said earlier i did try this before and give up so i do have some sort of python folder leftover in my kindle's root that i never bothered to delete.

finally because i don't know if it will help you to know but i usually run my kindle with the wifi always off because i use calibre exclusively so i don;t need the connection to the internet there.

Will any of this help, who knows? I just thought i'd give it one last try before i give up and suffer through the awful amazon screensavers forever.
thanks for your time.
help me. please.
LucyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #1444
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@samhfoley: Read the FW 5.6 section of the JailBreak thread. (spoiler: you need to use MRPI to install stuff now).

@LucyDrew: Forget everything you might have seen elsewhere on the Internet, it's (unfortunately, and usually through no fault of the people trying to help by sharing info) mostly guaranteed to be outdated, or at worse plain wrong. Go by what's explained in the JailBreak thread and/or the MR wiki (which, incidentally, points to the JB thread anyway ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #1445
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
NiLuJe, can I suggest the individual hack threads get a corresponding update to the Install spoilers.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #1446
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
Figure this is the right place to ask (ok, hoping).

Got my JB all sorted (w00t!) installed KUAL (first time using that) and got screensaver re-installed via it.

I'm seeing odd behavior, in that I'll see one of my images when the Kindle goes to sleep the first time after a restart, but all subsequent sleeps the screen just flashes and is the screen i was just looking at. Pressing wake, flashes the screen and now the kindle is interactive again.

If I go into KUAL screen saver settings and restart framework, let it boot, then restart the kindle via settings, I'm good for one more sleep, before the above repeats.

Running JB on 5.6.1.0.2, screen saver 0.21, KUAL 2.5 on PW2.
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #1447
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jwilker: That usually means one of the image (if you don't randomize anything, given your report, the second one in alphanumeric ascending order) isn't in the right format (or just plains annoy the framework).
Old 12-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #1448
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Ah good to know. weird, same set of images I've always used but i did do lots of tweaking and things to get KUAL and everything installed and had to jigger the SS hack out (was running 0.17) then back in as 0.21.

Thanks! Time for some trial and error on my images.

Last edited by jwilker; 12-23-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #1449
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Keep in mind that only a framework restart (or a reboot) will get things back on track in these instances .
Old 12-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #1450
jwilker
Connoisseur

Gonna have to do some digging. Blew out all my custom images from linkss/screensavers and it went back to showing the default kindle ones.

Set to cover mode, handling covers well.

Dropped an image back into the screensaver folder and it got squirrelly to the point it'd drop to black screen with message "unmounting custom screen savers"

I calmed it down with setting it back to cover mode, will keep looking.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #1451
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Siwtching to/from cover mode *also* requires a framework restart, FWIW .
Old 12-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #1452
jwilker
Connoisseur

Oh yeah I'm getting good at restarting

today I might see which image was upsetting things, but kinda liking having the cover too.

One question. I'm putting things in the right place right? Root of kindle/linkss/screensavers
Old 12-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #1453
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jwilker: Yep .
Old 12-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #1454
jwilker
Connoisseur

Cool! Was pretty sure, but wanted to confirm!

Danke!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #1455
mcriki
mcriki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4GB PW2
@NiLuJe: compliments!! all works fine and it's simple to install (even for me! ) and to use,thank you for this great job!
mcriki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch