Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
melmurray
Enthusiast
melmurray began at the beginning.

Advice please!

Hi there,

I'm finally near the point of buying an ebook device after weeks of fairly typical hesitation. Thing is the one I want is the Irex illiad. That means expensive but possibly more importantly is this the right time to buy? Rumours of a new version make me wonder if I should wait a couple of months. Advice me please!
melmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The changes to the upcoming device are said to be minor. Just some structural changes to the case and a larger battery will be built in. But there is no way to tell, when this "new" version will be available. If you want it, i dont think it is necessary to wait, since you can get a battery replacement for your iLiad, once it is available.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
If I had the money I would have bought an iLiad ... IREX tends to need a lot of more time than suspected.

I doubt that you will find a complete new model in 2008 ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
melmurray
Enthusiast
melmurray began at the beginning.

Yes I gather they move a little slowly. Just that fear of buy something and the new week some massively upgraded version comes on the market.

It seems to be retailing in the US for around $700 while over here in Europe its 649 euros - quite a difference. Can one get it from the US or if there anyway to get a cheaper version in Europe rather than going directly to Irex itself.

Last thing I've had a look round the various forums, a lot of techical stuff I don't understand. Is the Illiad good for an ordinary punter like myself? The only 'shell access' I understand is when I crack crab claws.
melmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmurray View Post
Just that fear of buy something and the new week some massively upgraded version comes on the market.
Heh, if they were bringing out a new version next week the announced launch date probably would have been back in mid-June. I think we can safely assume that they will announce it well before it happens.

Quote:
It seems to be retailing in the US for around $700 while over here in Europe its 649 euros - quite a difference. Can one get it from the US or if there anyway to get a cheaper version in Europe rather than going directly to Irex itself.
I think the difference is more or less equivalent to the VAT, which you'd end up paying if you imported it from the U.S. -- unless you have a relative who could 'order' it for you and ship it to you or some such.

Quote:
The only 'shell access' I understand is when I crack crab claws.
That made me laugh. I think that if you just want to open files and read them you'll probably be fine, but that's an non-iLiadite's guess, so you might want to see what someone who actually has one thinks of it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It's easy to use out of the box. If you want to add community-generated functionality, you just need to follow a few extra steps, which are generally documented pretty well when people release new software for the iLiad. If you want to be on the "bleeding edge" with new experimental functionality, you need to know rather more.

You'll need shell access to be able to run install programs and such, but you don't need to directly access the iLiad through the shell to do that. Just think of it as being a setting that lets you run new programs.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote