Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Default value for custom columns?

I am sorry if this is an easy one, or I did miss it somehow. I have added a few custom columns with a fixed set of permitted valued and it helpfully says "Default: (nothing)". Any idea how I would set a default? Many thanks in advance. Using 0.8.1.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can set the default by going to preferences->add your own column and editing that column.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, perhaps I'm just blind (or dense), but this leaves me with the "Values" field where I can specify the permitted valued but have no obvious way to make Calibre use one of these by default for new entries.

To give you a real world example I am using a "language" column with the values of "English,French,German". Just about 90% of my books will be in English, so Calibre should automatically use "English" for any new book.

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 05-18-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ah, my mistake, then I'm afraid there is no way to specify a default that I know of.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
rogue_librarian
Guru

Thank you very much for clarifying. It's not a biggie, I suppose the "Default: (nothing)" just threw me off ...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
Hoghead
Hoghead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Galaxy Tab
Lightbulb A possible solution

I was also looking for this, for the same purpose. I'm using a custom column, language, and want to default it on new books.

I remembered there is an option to add tags when adding new books, for example, I always add a NEW tag for new books, so I can filter them for final approval with my FORMATTED column when I get around to it.

What about coming up with some language tags, and just abandon the custom column. For example, _English or something like that. Then use the same syntax for other languages so they are all nice and neat in your tag browser.

Use the tag browser or query for books in the language you are seeking.

Just a thought!

Jason
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote