Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
DrSiddons
A Seasoned User
DrSiddons began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 500
Rehabbing a PRS-500

I could use some help.

I've been cleaning my study and came across my PRS-500. I charged it up and it works!

I thought I would put some books on it and save my iPad batteries.

I expected that the Sony software would not 'see' it. I thought Calibre would work. But it doesn't see it either. I downloaded the recommended version and it still didn't see the reader.

I'm the kind that likes to use my electronics for as long as they work (yes, I still have working Minidisc players/recorders).

Any help is appreciated.

Kevin
DrSiddons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
What OS are you using and what version?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 500's USB driver will not work on a 64-bit Windows. You need to be running a 32-bit Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Isn't the 500 the one that needed to read LRF/LRX, back before Sony switched to ePub?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
DrSiddons
A Seasoned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
What OS are you using and what version?
OS X - the latest version. I also have VMFusion with WinXP.
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
DrSiddons
A Seasoned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 500's USB driver will not work on a 64-bit Windows. You need to be running a 32-bit Windows.
I'm using OS X on my PowerBook. I do have an emulator with WinXP.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
DrSiddons
A Seasoned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Isn't the 500 the one that needed to read LRF/LRX, back before Sony switched to ePub?
I'm hoping it will also display PDFs.

This may be a lost cause, but I thought I'd try.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
DrSiddons
A Seasoned User

Thanks for the replies, I'm still hoping I can rehab the reader.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSiddons View Post
Thanks for the replies, I'm still hoping I can rehab the reader.
The best way to rehab the 500 is to call Sony and ask about the ePub firmware update. The firmware update adds in ePub support and it also allows the 500 to be seen as a removable device.

If you are lucky, maybe Sony will give you a discount an a new or refurbished T2. That would be a good upgrade.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
DrSiddons
A Seasoned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best way to rehab the 500 is to call Sony and ask about the ePub firmware update. The firmware update adds in ePub support and it also allows the 500 to be seen as a removable device.

If you are lucky, maybe Sony will give you a discount an a new or refurbished T2. That would be a good upgrade.
Thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
DrSiddons
A Seasoned User

My prs500 is set up to get the firmware update. Thanks!