Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nook apps now handle magazines; who needs Nook Color?

I must have been asleep when Barnes & Noble made changes to their magazines, or to the apps on my iPad and Android phone, or both. I've discovered that I can not only download and open my magazines on my smartphone and my iPad, but both support touch-zoom and ArticleView. Having my mags on my smartphone is ultra-portable, and the iPad 1 displays the mags beautifully.

In fact, magazines display better on the iPad than they do on the NC now. After the last upgrade, the NC developed an annoying habit of not displaying the tops of magazine pages when in zoom mode. The iPad doesn't have that problem, and it allows you to 2-finger zoom in even more.

Congratulations, B&N: I now no longer need my Nook Color.

Well, that's not completely true: I can still use it for sideloaded magazines... but I can do that with the iPad, if I want to jump through their hoops. The NC is more portable than the iPad, but has fewer apps for other activities.

It's actually kind of strange to go from one device that can read B&N magazines to 3-4 in a jump (since I'm assuming my PC app will read magazines too, now). From just enough reading devices, now I feel like I have an embarrassment of riches.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Well, I'm not sure why you'd need a Nook Color and an iPad. But certainly people who don't have an iPad still have use for the Nook Color.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Well, since not every magazine is available for all devices/apps, but just about every one is available for Nook Tablet/Color, I wouldn't be in a rush to trash it yet.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Well, since not every magazine is available for all devices/apps, but just about every one is available for Nook Tablet/Color, I wouldn't be in a rush to trash it yet.
Oh, I'm not planning to trash it. NC is still more handy than the iPad for my commuting.

But for the record, I'm talking about magazines in the Nook Store that formerly could not be read on any other device or app except Nook Color (because the apps for other devices wouldn't support any magazines)... and can now be read on any device that has a Nook app (I think, I obviously haven't tested every device).

BTW, any idea when this change actually happened? Just curious.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
megthered
Connoisseur
megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8.0, Nook HD
I love my NC. I would be happy to take it off your hands, if you don't need it. I never use mine for mags.
megthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Compatibility of titles seems to be at the strange whim of publishers and B&N.

I've seen titles go from single device to all devices and apps and back. Titles that for months were available on the NOOK suddenly, and without notice, being available only on NOOK Color/Tablet.

I had to cancel my subscription for, of all things, The Writer because they dropped support for NOOK. Not upgrading to a tablet just to read a magazine.

More titles do seem to be available through the apps. Don't use them, but was there an app update recently?
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
More titles do seem to be available through the apps. Don't use them, but was there an app update recently?
I hadn't heard of one... I just suddenly discovered the apps, which previously would say "this app doesn't support this document" regarding all magazines, suddenly can open them all. I think it's a change to the magazine PDFs, as opposed to the apps, but I don't know for sure.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
BTW, any idea when this change actually happened? Just curious.
A couple months ago, I think. I had a free issue of Discover Magazine that was a pain to read on my Nook Touch, but when my Nook app updated I was able to go back and read it again with pictures. Much better experience.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I doubt BN worries too much about not selling lots of NC. I suspect they make most of their money on the content anyway. That's probably part of the reason they've opened things up. Still interesting info!

I bought a NC today (the NC + STR for $149 deal on eBay). I will root it and give it to a young girl who couldn't afford a "real" tablet (I think the rooted NC is real enough, but that's me...).
Asawi is online now   Reply With Quote