Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #256
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
I usually fold my case and the latch very easily folds under also on the CaseCrown. It doesn't bother me at all.

I guess If I had a choice, I'd prefer it to be on the left side like the case you sent the link to. But I didn't have a choice, so I make do with the way it is without problems.
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #257
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for sharing, Zwarbles. I'd also like to hear from those who read with the case open, as this is the most comfortable position for me in bed!
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #258
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
I just ordered this one a couple of hours ago. I was keeping an eye on it for a while because I wanted to order it before Christmas but the stock ran out. After that I ordered something from skindigital and they also noticed me they ran out of stock and refunded me. Then I ordered another case from dealextreme but for a week I see my status is backordered. So I am tired of chasing a proper cover just to get mailed "it is out of stock". I hope, the third time is lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojofo View Post
Hi all, reading this thread has been very instructive !

I'd like some advice about buying a book-type cover for the KT.

I am tempted by the Casecrown or the Skindigital: they both seem very well made and reasonably priced.

However, I like to read with the book cover open using both hands and I am worried that the catch (which is sewn on the right or back side of the cover) would be an annoyance for people like me who do not necessarily fold the front part of the cover back.

I would like to know if other users have been bothered by the catch covering part of the screen when reading with the cover completely open.

Obviously other brands like Coverup that have the catch sewn on the right side (ie the front cover) do not have this problem but they are much more expensive.

I would also like to know if anyone has bought the Gecko luxe cover - visible here:
http://www.geckocovers.com/kobo-touch-luxe-p-65.html

This appeals to me, despite being rather expensive, but I'm wondering if the part that holds the reader is not too fragile and easily soiled.

Thanks for any advice!

Rojofo.
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #259
Rojofo
Zealot

Thanks for this Alexul. Would very much appreciate your impressions of the Gecko luxe cover for Kobo once you get it.

Maybe you could do a review, if you have the time?

The problem is that the photos on the seller's site are too dark to see the black inside of the cover. I'm wondering if the part that holds the Kobo in place is not too flimsy....

This part seems to be made out of some kind of velvety material which might soil and wear out very easily.
Rojofo
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #260
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
I will sure write my impression on this. I just hope it arrives soon. They were very fast, ordered last night, Sunday, and one hour ago it was shipped. If the Romanian postal service don't mess up it should arrive in a week or so.
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #261
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
The black leather bookstyle cover from Skin Digital is available again, I just placed my order...
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #262
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Quote:
Hi all, reading this thread has been very instructive !

I'd like some advice about buying a book-type cover for the KT.

I am tempted by the Casecrown or the Skindigital: they both seem very well made and reasonably priced.

However, I like to read with the book cover open using both hands and I am worried that the catch (which is sewn on the right or back side of the cover) would be an annoyance for people like me who do not necessarily fold the front part of the cover back.

I would like to know if other users have been bothered by the catch covering part of the screen when reading with the cover completely open.

Obviously other brands like Coverup that have the catch sewn on the right side (ie the front cover) do not have this problem but they are much more expensive.

I would also like to know if anyone has bought the Gecko luxe cover - visible here:
http://www.geckocovers.com/kobo-touch-luxe-p-65.html

This appeals to me, despite being rather expensive, but I'm wondering if the part that holds the reader is not too fragile and easily soiled.

Thanks for any advice!

Rojofo.
For the first couple of weeks with both the CaseCrown and the SkinDigital, the closure strap is somewhat inflexible (simply because it's brand new) and will tend to curl, overlapping the screen a bit, but if you work it back and forth for a while, or use the cover folded back for a few weeks, the strap becomes worn in, and no longer does that. It will eventually just stand straight out to the right of the cover when open.

Honestly though, I *thought* I was going to want to use the cover open like a normal book too before I bought it, but within about 2 days, I switched to folded-back mode, and have never gone back. With the cover folded back, there's about 3/8" of space, just perfect to stick in one or two fingers, and then the reader is almost like it's 'attached' to your hand, no fear at all of dropping it, and very comfortable and functional.

Cheers
The REAL Joe

Cheers
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #263
Rojofo
Zealot

Thank you The REAL joe for this (literally) hands-on experience: it is the kind of information that I was looking for, particularly as I very much like the colour of the blue Skindigital!

More advice from other users would also be appreciated!!Rojofo.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #264
Rojofo
Zealot

Smile More questions !

Voom, I wonder if you could give your impressions when you eventually get the Skindigital cover?

Secondly, The REAL Joe, I have just realised ( I'm slow!), that you have apparently experience of both the CaseCRown and Skindigital. I wonder if you could compare your impressions for users of the forum?

One concern that I have is the inside of the front cover. The fairly expensive Gecko cover has just a soft protective inside front cover. This appeals to me.

The CaseCrown has a whole pile of slots and other things which would be useless and irritating for me as they make the cover very thick for no real purpose (at least for me!). I am not looking for a wallet.: bookworm:
Worst is the inside of the Skindigital which has a useless (for me!) flap on the inside of the front cover and, apprently, on closure, this can rub against the touch screen, activating functions against the will of the user.

Am I mistaken in my appreciation of this? I have in fact never had them in my own hands.
Cheers,
Rojofo.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #265
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by voom View Post
The black leather bookstyle cover from Skin Digital is available again, I just placed my order...
As did I. I also found this coupon for 10% off.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #266
voom
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Now my order is already on the way, so too late to take advantage of the 10% ... But then € 13 for a leather cover is already quite cheap anyway, so...

Quote:
Worst is the inside of the Skindigital which has a useless (for me!) flap on the inside of the front cover and, apprently, on closure, this can rub against the touch screen, activating functions against the will of the user.
I would imagine, that the material of the flap is so robust that it does not flap around If it does, it should not be too hard to either remove it or attach sth. to keep it put (like a small velcro sticker)...

I'll report how it feels to me as soon as I get it...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #267
Rojofo
Zealot

Thank you for this Voom : the problem with the inside flap (according to what I have read) is that, when you close the cover, it presses against the touch screen and selects options or closes or opens books accidentally . You only see the problem too late when you open the book again.
I don't know how systematic this is: it was a remark I read as a criticism of this product.

I'd very much like to know your experience, when you get the cover, as I would like to know if you are annoyed by the strap on the right-hand side covering the text.

Cheers,
Rojofo.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #268
voom

Since I intend to fold the cover all the way back and fix it with the strap (as opposed to holding it like an open book) I suppose the strap will not bother me. Also as long as I put the reader to sleep before closing the cover the touchscreen is off anyway. Well, enough speculation, I'll know more as soon as I get my hands on it...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #269
dmcd
Enthusiast
dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Thank you for this Voom : the problem with the inside flap (according to what I have read) is that, when you close the cover, it presses against the touch screen and selects options or closes or opens books accidentally . You only see the problem too late when you open the book again.
I don't know how systematic this is: it was a remark I read as a criticism of this product.
Well I don't know where you obtained the information about a flap rubbing on the screen when using a Skindigital cover for the Kobo Touch, but your information is erroneous. It offers superb protection for the whole unit and nothing rubs on anything. I reported my impressions of my new cover in post 244 on the previous page of this thread.

I've used it constantly over the past couple of weeks, read six books and couldn't be happier with a cover. I take it everywhere I go and believe that even if I dropped the reader and cover, there would be no damage to either.

I would recommend the flip up cover rather than the book style if you want the option of reading with either hand. It provides a neat area between the flip top and the reader to slip your fingers in, using either hand. The tab folds under and secures to the reversed flip over so is out of the way. It also holds that nice little hand hold open just enough to be comfortable.

You might learn more if you bothered to read right through a thread instead of just jumping in on the last page and trying to plough ground that has already been cultivated.

Dale
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #270
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
Well I don't know where you obtained the information about a flap rubbing on the screen when using a Skindigital cover for the Kobo Touch, but your information is erroneous. It offers superb protection for the whole unit and nothing rubs on anything.
One source of his information is the skindigital site. Under the product review for the Kobo Touch cover (quote from http://www.skindigitalstore.com/prod...ase-Cover.html):

Posted by Hugh on 8th Dec 2011

This is my third SkinDigital Kobo touch case and it has an almost perfect fit, feel and finish.
It is very comfortable when holding as a book and the real leather has a nice feel to it.
My only minor issue is that if you close the case without putting the Kobo to sleep the inside pocket leather will activate the screen.

Kudos to SkinDigital for this product! Cost, shipping and service were second to none!

(end quote)
(note: the bold is my emphasis)

So it appears his information is not erroneous.
It may be not as important as he makes it to be, but definitely not erroneous.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, kobo, touch case stand easel