Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
So What would YOU change about the Kindle ?

So what would you change about the Kindle, and what would you like to have it do if you could make it happen ?

The changes doesn't have to reflex the broad populace; just your own. Hell, it doesn't even have to be realistic.

/God mode on

I would like to be able to buy and replace whole Kindle shells with custom colour and pictures. Just like those old Nokia mobile phones, if I remember correctly. Yes, I really don't dig stickers.

I would like the edge of the screen to be curved down; like a ramp.

Edit: Also, the rough edge also causes a shadow line to be cast on the top of the screen when reading at night with a small light device.

I would like buttons to have a transparent plastic layer over them so they don't wear off easily.

Oh, and it would be really great if it could also do my laundry cause I really hate that.

Edit:

I realize that these suggestions are rather superficial in nature. They were just meant to help start off the thread.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-19-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Spelling errors.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
1. decalgirl. get one.
2. why? just, why?
3. never had this issue myself.
what I want is for the kindle to be implantable so I can directly upload books to my brain.
i'm giving it 10 years.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
1. decalgirl. get one.
I don't like stickers, like I said. The feel is too smooth, and they make edges.

Quote:
2. why? just, why?
I'm perfectionist sometimes, so, why not, dude ?

Quote:
3. never had this issue myself.
I do.

Also, you sound really mad, dude. Drink a beer or something.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-17-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Either the transparent layer on the keys, as mentioned already, or keys that are done in such a way that can't wear/rub off and get rid of the awful feeling grittiness.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
DaveSp
Enthusiast
DaveSp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire
I'd like to be able to selectively enable/disable the side buttons - because of the way I tend to hold the Kindle, I'd like to disable the buttons on the left side so I don't keep changing pages accidentally.

Dave
DaveSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

nah, just my style. I suppose my bemused and detached tone is hard to convey in text. oh well..perhaps an emoticon would help?

i see what you mean about the stickers.
i always thought about getting a local artist to paint my k2 'cause I really hate the white.
the curved screen sounds like a lint trap though, but may be a nice touch aesthetically.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Definitively better button quality, I have K3 for a month and Menu button already looks like it's five years old.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Touchscreen/pen + applets.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Custom screen saver or the ability to disable the screen saver without hacking or debugging the darn thing.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
nah, just my style. I suppose my bemused and detached tone is hard to convey in text. oh well..perhaps an emoticon would help?
Hehe, np, man. Sorry for snaping back at you then.

Quote:
I always thought about getting a local artist to paint my k2 'cause I really hate the white.
Now that would be awesome. You'll probably feel all special with a thing like that in your hand.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmonster View Post
Custom screen saver or the ability to disable the screen saver without hacking or debugging the darn thing.
+1 to this, always thought it was a little bit of a slap to the face that we couldn't do that.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
Snapply
Connoisseur
Snapply began at the beginning.

Device: Amazozn Kindlezz
DISABLE THE SCREENSAVERS
Snapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
Hehe, np, man. Sorry for snaping back at you then.

Now that would be awesome. You'll probably feel all special with a thing like that in your hand.
don't be. it's my fault. I sound like a real jerk reading it back now.

I do like that painting it up idea. I'm starting to regret posting my K2 in the flea market just now. Hmmm.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I don't want a touchscreen, but I would like touch sides. Also I would like to be able to stream books from a server somewhere to my Kindle, maybe my local library will host books for me that I can read?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
Dump the Dead Authors and copy over my own photos to be used instead - and part of a normal firmware upgrade from Amazon, not some third-party app or hack. Should be simple as can be - they create a SCREENSAVERS folder on the Kindle and tell us to copy our photos there. When the Kindle goes into sleep mode it looks to see if there are any photos there, if yes then use them, if empty then show the dead authors. This issue has generated more complaints from users over the years than any other, why not just fix it? And yeah it is no big deal, but since they can display photos, users now want to use their own photos. Tell us the dimensions we need, and if we install a photo that doesn't meet the requirements then ignore it.

AND NOW FOR MY PET PEEVE:

I have read the endless arguments regarding locations vs ISBN page numbers vs the percentage figure - and yes I understand the need of maybe 8% of us to have actual page numbers linked to an ISBN edition for classes or reference. And yes I understand the argument about locations being a clear way for two or more people to get to the same approximate section in an ebook.

But lets face it, in a digital reading environment like the Kindle, the ONLY thing that makes sense is SCREENS - what screen am I on out of how many screens in the entire ebook (based up my current font settings). How obvious can that be? After all that is how a physical book works. Certainly this is true for over 90% of what most of us are reading on our Kindles - novels. If Amazon truly wants to make reading on the Kindle as close to reading a physical book as possible, then it is a no brainer - SCREENS should be the standard - not locations not ISBN pages and not percentage.

Yes I know changing the font settings will alter the screen count, but big deal, you simply have new screen numbers to track your progress. I don't know about anyone else, but I have been using ereaders for nearly four years now and I have NEVER EVER EVER changed the font size. I found what is comfortable for me and leave it there. And in those four years I have never had to get someone else to go to the same "page" or "location" I was on to discuss a book we are both reading - we simply discuss the book.

So lets put in a settings option that lets you select what the user wants displayed at the bottom of each screen - and please make SCREENS one of those options. And make the MENU button show us the other figures available - location, ISBN page, percentage.

UPDATE: I sent Amazon feedback on the 3.1 upgrade expressing my feelings on having a screen count added to 3.1 or to a future upgrade or if not possible then to the next generation Kindle. If you feel the same way, let them know.

Last edited by BobLenx; 02-16-2011 at 10:19 PM.
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote