Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #31
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Hmm, they should have copied some of Sony's UI. A long press to select a word, then a press to get to the dictionary seems like a hassle. And the dictionary opens as a separate page?

On the Sony, you double tap, the word is defined in a small frame on the bottom so you still have the context. You can click on that small frame to get a whole page dictionary with surrounding words, like a real dictionary.

And to select a paragraph to make a note, just doubletap and drag.

But, of course, for $129 with a Pearl screen and wifi, it's a pretty good deal.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #32
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Well this proves Kobo is a becoming a major pillar in ereaders. Looks a great device.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #33
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
Hmm, they should have copied some of Sony's UI. A long press to select a word, then a press to get to the dictionary seems like a hassle. And the dictionary opens as a separate page?

On the Sony, you double tap, the word is defined in a small frame on the bottom so you still have the context. You can click on that small frame to get a whole page dictionary with surrounding words, like a real dictionary.
Does anyone know if this dictionary is for all books or just those bought from Kobo? I just returned my Kobo. I liked it a lot, but decided I wanted a dictionary on all books. I was leaning towards Sony, but have been hesitant on that. I far prefer the touch screen to Kindle's keyboard.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Duplicate thread. Please go to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134175 as this thread has been reported and may not be here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #35
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe that the current units use Avenir and Georgia.
You are quite right ... I guess that is why the Kobo Wifi already looks better than the Original Kobo and the pages format slightly more condensed.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #36
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Duplicate thread. Please go to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134175 as this thread has been reported and may not be here.
Are you saying that you reported a thread in the Kobo forum about the new Kobo as being a duplicate of the one in news, or vice versa? Really.....Really....
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #37
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
You are quite right ... I guess that is why the Kobo Wifi already looks better than the Original Kobo and the pages format slightly more condensed.
I believe they changed the CSS style sheet and the line height was reduced (as it should have been, IMO, from the beginning). They made other changes to the way kepubs displayed as well. I think the changes improved the kepub files enormously--in fact I don't use the other ePUB files any more (ADE or DRM removed), except for backup.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #38
ladybugh
Enthusiast
ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Sage and Elipsa
Very tempting indeed! I almost jumped on pre-ordering but think I'll wait to test it at Chapters and see if I like the touch screen versus the 5 way button. I would assume that usage is much like the Kobo app for iTouch. I have it on my iTouch and it seems like it has all the same features.

It looks like the Kobo Touch no longer comes with the pre-loaded 100 classics...but rather 15 books that are "previews" only. Also, I guess I wouldn't be able to use it in a "baggie" at the beach.

(I have the "newish" wifi version which I got as a free upgrade from Chapters when the screen on my original one broke. Thanks Chapters!! )
ladybugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #39
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I live in Australia, would I be able to jump on the pre-order list for Borders? Can people in Australia order off Chapters?

Maybe I should wait till it comes out in Australia...
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I have an android phone that is touch that I read on and I have to say I love it! You just touch the sides of the screen and the page turns. After I got my phone I went back to my K3 and found out I really hated the five way button on it and navigation just seem to take too long after using a touch screen and getting faster results.
It was hard for me to go back to my beloved Kindle.

It's so much easier and faster just to touch the menu option instead of having to click a button several times to get down to the option you want. I never played with a regular Kobo before I assume it is similar in nature?

I've been waiting for a touch screen since I got use to my phone so today was a good day for me when I saw the announcement for the Kobo Touch!

I buy alot from Kobo and have kept my eye out on the Kobo reader for a long time but was waiting for a pearl screen. Once you seen and used a pearl screen you just can't go back to old kind. My old pocket pro looks like a washed out newspaper and the pearl screen on my Kindle the text is so nice and dark I don't need alot of light to read with. I love pearl! The Kobo Touch has the same screen so I know the reading will be just as good and the comfort of using it better.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #41
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I live in Australia, would I be able to jump on the pre-order list for Borders? Can people in Australia order off Chapters?

Maybe I should wait till it comes out in Australia...
We're both waiting....I might preorder and use borderlynx to deliver it to me in NZ. Even if it does come here I'm sure it will be way over priced. The wifi is still $199 - far too high. Even allowing for shipping and exchange rates the new touch will be cheaper than that if you buy it direct.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #42
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
We're both waiting....I might preorder and use borderlynx to deliver it to me in NZ. Even if it does come here I'm sure it will be way over priced. The wifi is still $199 - far too high. Even allowing for shipping and exchange rates the new touch will be cheaper than that if you buy it direct.
What is borderlynx?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #43
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
What is borderlynx?
It's a freight forwarding business. You sign up and get an address in the US - which is basically a freight/courier depot. If US retailers won't deliver to a non US address you get it shipped to your borderlynx address. Borderlynx then send it onto you in NZ/Aus or wherever - they charge a little extra on the shipping, that's how they make their money. But it's a great way to source goods you either can't buy here or that are much cheaper - even when considering shipping - when bought direct.

And I am also using it to get around geo restrictions on ebooks, but that is another story.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #44
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:

And I am also using it to get around geo restrictions on ebooks, but that is another story.
Shhhhhhhh.....
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #45
MorganM
Fanatic

Quote:
It's a freight forwarding business. You sign up and get an address in the US - which is basically a freight/courier depot. If US retailers won't deliver to a non US address you get it shipped to your borderlynx address. Borderlynx then send it onto you in NZ/Aus or wherever - they charge a little extra on the shipping, that's how they make their money. But it's a great way to source goods you either can't buy here or that are much cheaper - even when considering shipping - when bought direct.

Oh ok thanks lol. I had a look and you can only use it if you have a VISA. I only have a Mastercard lol. Ah well.