Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
dee1952
dee1952 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Question Backup for Calibre

Hi, I'm really new at this. Was interested in knowing what I needed to backup to ensure that my Calibre Info is safe?
dee1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
From the user manual:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...o-i-backup-app
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
With help from others I created batch files that automatically back up my meta data every night.

See thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83311&highlight=Debby&page=3

Automatically Back up Library and Meta data

Create 2 .bat files and run them in Windows Task Scheduler.

1. Robocopy – you probably already have it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy

2. Install Notepad++ (it’s free) to create .bat files - http://www.filehippo.com/download_notepad/

Highlight items in RED should be the location of your Files

Blue highlight is a NEW directory where you will save your backup – you only need quotes around file name if there is a space in your name. If there is not, then do not use them.

To copy Metadata: copy this into Notepad++ and save as .bat file

@echo off
REM metafile copy documents
Z:
cd\My Documents\Calibrelibrary\Familybks
if exist metadata.db.6 del metadata.db.6
if exist metadata.db.5 ren metadata.db.5 metadata.db.6
if exist metadata.db.4 ren metadata.db.4 metadata.db.5
if exist metadata.db.3 ren metadata.db.3 metadata.db.4
if exist metadata.db.2 ren metadata.db.2 metadata.db.3
if exist metadata.db.1 ren metadata.db.1 metadata.db.2
if exist metadata.db copy metadata.db metadata.db.1

robocopy "Z:\My Documents\Calibrelibrary\Familybks" F:\CalibreBU /s /purge /xo /r:1 /w:1

To copy entire library:
@echo off
REM copy documents
robocopy "Z:\My Documents\Calibrelibrary\Familybks" "Z:\My Documents\Calibre Saved Libraries\BatchFile BU" /s /purge /xo /r:1 /w:1
Finish

Place these files in a directory called Batch Files and go to Windows Scheduler and add them. Under Actions: Start a Program C:\Batch Files\whatever your name is. You can select how often you want it to run. I do mine daily at 2:00 am. That should be it!

Good Luck.
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Note that playing back a metadata.db backup from an earlier date than the library currently is at can lead to inconsistencies between the database and the directory structure. A full library backup should be your preferred backup method.
Calibre also already contains a mechanism that backs up the metadata with each change so that you can recreate the metadata.db should it get corrupted, so having a manual backup as well is redundant.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I'm using Carbonite for my offsite backup. It automatically updates shortly after a file has been created, deleted, or altered (and maintains versions for a week). If I were to lose my library and my local backup, I will be able to restore my library from Carbonite. It's a little less than $5/month for unlimited capacity and I don't even have to think about it since everything is automatic..
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Note that playing back a metadata.db backup from an earlier date than the library currently is at can lead to inconsistencies between the database and the directory structure. A full library backup should be your preferred backup method.
It's preferred to do a full backup, but the core of Calibre is metadata.db. That file is small, so multiple backups are tiny. It keeps a complete list of all your books, authors, titles, file locations and other data about the status of your library in the past, which I find very useful in a disaster recovery. Yes, if you restore an old metadata.db to a new library, you will get some inconsistencies, but most of them can be corrected with the library error recovery and management tools.

Quote:
Calibre also already contains a mechanism that backs up the metadata with each change so that you can recreate the metadata.db should it get corrupted, so having a manual backup as well is redundant.
Metadata.db keeps your custom recipes and other data that does not apply to a single book. That data is not found in the opf file for individual books. The bottom line is that a metadata.db backup can be very useful and yesterday's metadata.db is a backup I can make in seconds and will rapidly recover 99.8% of my Calibre install if metadata.db becomes corrupted. I still keep a full backup of all books, covers, and metadata.db, but I also keep the same rolling metadata.db backup described here. It's sort of a belt and suspenders thing.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Metadata.db keeps your custom recipes and other data that does not apply to a single book. That data is not found in the opf file for individual books.
Ah, yes, you're right. I forgot about that sort of thing.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Ah, yes, you're right. I forgot about that sort of thing.
I don't use the catalog function much, but I suspect it operates almost entirely on the metadata.db file. If I have backup copies of metadata.db, I suspect I can restore it to an empty directory and get various formatted catalogs of what was in my library previously. (I know I can get that info out using SQL, even if the catalog wouldn't run). That info is sometimes useful to me.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I use SyncBack to back up my metadata.db, settings folder and book folders as well as keep a separate backup of the books and their opf files.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I put my library in Dropbox. Now I can access my books from any computer plus they are backed up to the web along with their metadata.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #11
diamante
piedra preciosa
diamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Oasis 6", Kindle Voyage, Sony PRS-350, etc.
Question

Quote:
Could I ask you to describe this mechanism in a little more detail? Where can I find the backups?
diamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard

See the metadata.opf inside each book folder? Those are backups. There's a tool to reconstruct the database from that information.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
See the metadata.opf inside each book folder? Those are backups. There's a tool to reconstruct the database from that information.
The tool is the Restore database menu item under the Library maintenance menu.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #14
Manichean
Wizard

Right, this is in the GUI as well, now...
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I know you know this, but the tool reconstructs an approximation to the database, not the entire database. It misses a few things, most notably stored custom recipes.

Tags
backup, calibre