Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #16
topquark
Connoisseur
topquark began at the beginning.

Device: K3, PW2
About the dropcaps, I could not get it to work either. I changed the eighth value in the font size rescaling key to 60 and the size of the dropcap letter grew larger, but the size of the space beneath it also grew. And this with line spacing and line height set to zero. I've also fooled around with the epub and changed the value of the line height there, but still no difference. I exploded the azw3 and changed the value there but still nothing.

The thing is that the changes I made would appear okay in Calibre viewer (dropcap letter size okay and space beneath it okay) but in my Kindle and in Kindle previewer, the space beneath the letter is back. I am really totally at a loss.
topquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by topquark View Post
The thing is that the changes I made would appear okay in Calibre viewer (dropcap letter size okay and space beneath it okay) but in my Kindle and in Kindle previewer, the space beneath the letter is back. I am really totally at a loss.
Calibre viewer is essentially a ePub viewer and everything gets a basic conversion before it is viewed in this viewer. So it is not a great viewer to be viewing non-epub books for formatting issues.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Actually, I believe it's a rendering problem in the Kindle firmware not the format itself.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I need to clarify what I want to achieve. I want to get the same line spacing I used to have with mobi, but using the nicer fonts and style of azw3. I've tried all manner of settings (line spacing=0, minimum line height=0) but could not get the same effect for all azw3 books I have tried.
I have something for you to try. I have a modified font that when used with a KF8 eBook on an eInk Kindle gives tight line spacing. You can use the ALT fonts trick and put this on your Kindle and try it with KF8 eBooks. The link below is to the fonts.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-07-2013 at 05:37 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #20
topquark
Connoisseur

Yes, @jgaiser, I have also come to the same conclusion -- that the kindle firmware itself dictates that the new format have larger line spacing. My theory is that they wanted to make the small, medium and large line spacing options more usable. In the old format, most people just used the "large" option because the small and medium were too squashed together.

A@JSWOLF, thanks! I'll try these fonts out.

In the meantime, I have opted to choose AZW3 despite the above-mentioned issues. I am going to have to learn to live with dropcaps with large spaces beneath them, and with switching to "medium" line spacing every time I open an AZW3 book.
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
ETIFAL
ETIFAL began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Hi, I am french and my english is not perfect
My question: After converting a word document through Calibre in EPUB some lines are not horizontal but vertical from time to time
Could you help me with?
Thanks
so long
André
ETIFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #22
topquark
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETIFAL View Post
Hi, I am french and my english is not perfect
My question: After converting a word document through Calibre in EPUB some lines are not horizontal but vertical from time to time
Could you help me with?
Thanks
so long
André
I do not understand what you mean by vertical. Maybe something wrong with the margins in your original document?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #23
topquark
Connoisseur

I finally did it! LOL.

After a lot of gnashing of teeth and other dramas, I finally solved the mystery of why my dropcaps had extra spaces underneath. It had to do with the margin at the bottom. Sheesh.

Anyway, here is a screencap of the final product on Kindle Previewer, with the dropcap letter finally the right size and right in place. For other noobs like me who might be interested, this is what I did.

First, I tweaked <span.dropcap> in sigil, with the following end result:

span.dropcaps {
float: left;
font-size: 80px;
line-height: 0;
padding-top: 1px;
margin-top:-.375em;
margin-bottom: -.5em;
margin-right:1.35px;
font-weight: bold;
}

I guess that is an ugly code, or whatever, but it worked!

Also, when converting from epub to azw3, I made sure the eighth value in the font size rescaling key was the same as my font-size (80). And voila!

So now my only issue with azw3 is the large line spacing, but I have learned to live with that. IMHO, azw3 just looks much, much better than mobi. Call me OCD but there you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dropcaps.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	100010  
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #24
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I finally did it!
I also encountered problems with dropcaps and tested your dropcaps style. Unfortunately, it didn't work on my K3. Furthermore, it proved that the azw3 output generated by Calibre doesn't match the KF8 output generated by the latest version of KindleGen as the Kindle for PC (K4PC) and Kindle 3 (K3) screenshots show.

Can you post your test .epub?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K3_calibre_azw3.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	100011   Click image for larger version

Name:	K4PC_calibre_azw3.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	100012   Click image for larger version

Name:	K4PC_kindlegen.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	100013   Click image for larger version

Name:	K3_kindlegen.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	100014  
Attached Files
File Type: epub dc.epub (2.5 KB, 261 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #25
hermil
hermil began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hello, everyone!

I have the same problem regarding line spacing in AZW3 visualization on my Kindle 5, after conversion from an EPUB.

I have tried using different line height settings in Calibre, but this method doesn't seem to affect the final result. Even with different conversion settings, the line spacing is always the same, and I consider it too high even when set to minimum (on Kindle visualization settings). This is particularly noticeable if compared to the same book converted into Mobi format, instead of AZW3.

Is this a Kindle bug? Is there a way to "solve" the problem? Any suggestions or opinions?
hermil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
topquark
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I also encountered problems with dropcaps and tested your dropcaps style. Unfortunately, it didn't work on my K3. Furthermore, it proved that the azw3 output generated by Calibre doesn't match the KF8 output generated by the latest version of KindleGen as the Kindle for PC (K4PC) and Kindle 3 (K3) screenshots show.

@Doitsu, I do not think the dropcap code I used for that particular book will work for all books. but I am thinking also that there should be a "general dropcap guideline" for two lines and three lines, that should work for all epub to azw3 conversions. I am still investigating and will get back to you if I come up with a formula. I think though that you will need to tweak each book, adjusting the top and bottom margins and the dropcap size.

As for Kindlegen, I haven't tried using it yet. I will try it and get back to you here with my findings.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #27
topquark
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermil View Post
Hello, everyone!

I have the same problem regarding line spacing in AZW3 visualization on my Kindle 5, after conversion from an EPUB.

I have tried using different line height settings in Calibre, but this method doesn't seem to affect the final result. Even with different conversion settings, the line spacing is always the same, and I consider it too high even when set to minimum (on Kindle visualization settings). This is particularly noticeable if compared to the same book converted into Mobi format, instead of AZW3.

Is this a Kindle bug? Is there a way to "solve" the problem? Any suggestions or opinions?
@hermil, I think it is inherent to the AZW3 format. I think it's a take-it-or-leave-it kind of deal with AZW3. Me, I'll take it rather than going back to mobi, for purely aesthetic reasons.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #28
topquark
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post

Okay I have tried Kindlegen and I don't really see that big of a difference between the Kindlegen-converted and the Calibre-converted AZW3. Maybe it has to do with the particular book you were trying to convert. Look at my screencaps.

There are some things you might be missing. One, did you tweak the 8th (last) value in the font size key in calibre? make sure it matches the size of your dropcap font that you could see in sigil. For instance, if the dropcap size in sigil is 3em, your 8th value should be 48 because (I think) the values here are in px.

Two, what about your other settings in Calibre? In Look and Feel, here are my settings (only for books with dropcaps):

disable font size rescaling unchecked
base font size: 16
font size key: 12.0, 12.0, 14.0, 16.0, 18.0, 20.0, 22.0, 48.0 -->>change the last value depending on your dropcap font size)
minimum line height: 120%
Line size, line height and everything else zero or blank

Also, your ebook will look different in sigil and calibre (and maybe also kindle for pc -- I didn't even know that kindle for PC could now read AZW3.) Try using Kindle Previewer.

Finally, here is another dropcap code you could try to use. This is the one I used for this particular ebook:

.drop {
float: left;
font-size:3em;
margin-top: -.3em;
margin-bottom: -.5em;
margin-right: .05em;
}

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drops_calibre.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	100069   Click image for larger version

Name:	drops_calibre2.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	100070   Click image for larger version

Name:	drops_kindlegen.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	100071   Click image for larger version

Name:	drops_kindlegen2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	100072  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #29
topquark
Connoisseur

Okay, I have solved problem number one.

Problem number two is when there are more than one dropcap styles in an epub, where dropcap2, for instance, is smaller than dropcap 1, for instance, it is 60px and dropcap 1 is 80px. I have tried changing the size but it is either as big as dropcap 1 (80px) or too small, like a regular letter. If I change the second-to-the-last (the 7th) value in the font size key in calibre, the fonts become the same size (dropcap 1 becomes smaller, assumes the size of dropcap 2).

I can't figure it out so please
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermil View Post
Hello, everyone!

It is a bug in the KF8 code for eInk Kindles. The solution is to embed a font that has a smaller line space. The link below is to my modified Charis SIL that has a heavier weight and a smaller line height. You won't be able to change the line height, but it will be smaller then you get now. The RAR file I linked also comes with a true smallcaps version so you can get true smallcaps if you want or need.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-30-2013 at 07:00 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote