Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Woman trapped in bathroom

Useful survival news:

http://www.khon2.com/entertainment/w...54m4GdONw.cspx

"A woman in Paris, France survived almost three weeks locked in her bathroom after the door lock jammed.

The room has no window or phone so the 69-year-old woman had to tap on pipes in the hopes the noise would alert neighbors."

Since this could happen to any of us, here is some advice for those who live alone:

1. Don't close the bathroom door. If you're the only occupant of a residence, why would you need to close the door?

2. Always bring a mobile device into the bathroom. Example: Droid phone. This serves several purposes. First, it is a phone. Second, it allows email access. Third, you can read an ebook while waiting to be rescued.

3. Equip your medicine cabinet with a screwdriver and hammer. In case of an emergency, you can pop the hinges off the door. In case of attack, by a Psycho killer, you can defend yourself with a hammer.

Any more tips you can provide would be gratefully appreciated, as I was also trapped in a room over the past week. Err, with a topless lapdancer. She would not allow me to leave until I paid.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Useful survival news:

http://www.khon2.com/entertainment/w...54m4GdONw.cspx

"A woman in Paris, France survived almost three weeks locked in her bathroom after the door lock jammed.

The room has no window or phone so the 69-year-old woman had to tap on pipes in the hopes the noise would alert neighbors."

Since this could happen to any of us, here is some advice for those who live alone:

1. Don't close the bathroom door. If you're the only occupant of a residence, why would you need to close the door?

2. Always bring a mobile device into the bathroom. Example: Droid phone. This serves several purposes. First, it is a phone. Second, it allows email access. Third, you can read an ebook while waiting to be rescued.

3. Equip your medicine cabinet with a screwdriver and hammer. In case of an emergency, you can pop the hinges off the door. In case of attack, by a Psycho killer, you can defend yourself with a hammer.

Any more tips you can provide would be gratefully appreciated, as I was also trapped in a room over the past week. Err, with a topless lapdancer. She would not allow me to leave until I paid.
You should also put some granola bars in the cabinet, cause you're gonna get hungry
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
You should also put some granola bars in the cabinet, cause you're gonna get hungry
And some clothes: you would want to look nice/decent when the fire-brigade rescues you.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
A door stopped her?

Was the door made out of force field?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Not all 69-year-olds have the muscles you have, HT
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
A door stopped her?

Was the door made out of force field?
not everyone is as buffed up as you! the story also talked about her tapping on the pipes alerted the neighbors. it must have been a polite little; "terribly sorry, but if you have a moment, I seem to have been locked in the loo, could you please mount a rescue if convenient?" I would have been raising hell!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Please.

I can barely remember where I leave my cell phone, much less remember to take it with me!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I didnt consider her age.

On the bright side at least she was locked in a place with water to drink.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I didnt consider her age.

On the bright side at least she was locked in a place with water to drink.
And use the bathroom.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
In the aftermath, what would the old lady have chosen to eat, assuming she could go to any restaurant? My first choice would be a pizza and a Coca-Cola. Of course, we Americans have no taste in food. Man, if I had to starve for three weeks, I would not be Fat Abe anymore.

Another weird line of thought. If you had to be confined for three weeks in a bathroom, with another person, would you choose your significant other, or someone famous, e.g., Jenna Jameson or Tom Cruise? Dear Wife: I would choose you. That is not a lie. On second thought ...
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
the story also talked about her tapping on the pipes alerted the neighbors. it must have been a polite little; "terribly sorry, but if you have a moment, I seem to have been locked in the loo, could you please mount a rescue if convenient?" I would have been raising hell!
Unless she was in the basement apartment I'd have flooded the bathroom until it leaked into the one below - that would have gotten much quicker action!! Or, assuming shared hot water tanks, run the shower on hot for a day and take all the hot water from everyone in the building.

Quote:
In the aftermath, what would the old lady have chosen to eat, assuming she could go to any restaurant? My first choice would be a pizza and a Coca-Cola. Of course, we Americans have no taste in food. Man, if I had to starve for three weeks, I would not be Fat Abe anymore.

Another weird line of thought. If you had to be confined for three weeks in a bathroom, with another person, would you choose your significant other, or someone famous, e.g., Jenna Jameson or Tom Cruise? Dear Wife: I would choose you. That is not a lie. On second thought ...
As another typical American I'd have to say ribs, fries, some coleslaw, and a coke!!

Hmm, trapped for three weeks, in a bathroom, the possibilities are endless
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Useful survival news:

This reminds me of our Prof (Pharmaceutical Technology) explaining about packaging and how do people handle their medicines. It was something like:

Most of the medicines have a line on them stating "keep on dry, cool and airy place.Which probably explains why people tend to keep their medicines in the bathroom. If you have ever been in one, then you know, that there is:

Never damp,

Temperature is constant and never above 25°C,

Air flow is 24/7."

At which point we were all ing
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
You should keep a copy of Fleep in the bathroom for inspiration in such emergencies. That way you can close your eyes and think "what would Jimmy do?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Considering how bathrooms are often recommended rooms for hurricanes/tornadoes, I think that might be a good general idea (substitute "granola bars" for whatever other long-lasting food if taste varies). Also, all of the things mentioned in the OP are good.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote