Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
Most Important Improvements

Hi all - I an new and just got my reader. I am a computer scientist and something of a Human Interface expert and, while I could critique a lot of little things, it seems that there are three high-priority issues. In my view, high priority being based on const/benefit considerations:

1. Why isnt't the Author list based on the "reading" attribute? After all, isn't that what it's for? And isn't Sony the experts and keepers of the BeBB Spec?

2. When pressing the number buttons to activate a particular book, there is no feedback. When the book loads right away, that's not a problem. If the book is large and takes several seconds to load - some feedback that the push button actually "took" is badly needed.

3. Finally, there is a most urgent need to edit the meta data of the LRX files. I have downloaded close to 500 hundred books. About a hundred are LRX format. I have used CALIBRE to carefully edit all the titles, authors, author sort, and file names for each book in LRF format. Unfortunately I can't "fix" the LRX files. So I get some bizarre titles and authors. <sigh>

Note - I'm not looking to crack the DRM - I respect that and don't have a gripe with it - I just need to be able to change the meta data, not the content.
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
#2 is annoying, its like you wonder for a bit if the reader is locked up or not
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
#2 is not a problem at all. You can hear a tiny click and feel that you've pressed the number button.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
#2 is not a problem at all. You can hear a tiny click and feel that you've pressed the number button.
On an aircraft? In a room with a window air conditioner? As for tactile feed back I assume you have not peripheral neuropathy, it is vanishingly small in my unit at least.

From an HI stand point the feed back is all but non existant.
Deputy-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
I sent some of my questions/complaints to Sony via the email listed on their support website. I got a polite reply (from Bombay?) that says the support staff have no advance knowledge of updates and the next updates will contain whatever whomever decides they will contain.

Is there anyway this community of experts and zealots can get to the right people at Sony and influence this?
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert