Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
StuMcBill
Enthusiast
StuMcBill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Wi-Fi & 3G)
My Kindle just tried to auto update itself (and failed)

Hi,

I have a Kindle 3 (WiFi & 3G) which is running software version 3.1 (Jailbroken using yifanlu's method (back when 3.1 was first released), and just now, as my Kindle was sitting idle, a screen came up saying "Your Kindle is Updating".

The progress bar got about a third of the way along and said, "The update has been unsuccessful, Your Kindle is Restarting".

It has now restarted and is working fine. But what I want to know is, what was the update it was trying to install? Can I install it? And can I re-jailbreak it?

The only reason I have Jailbroken it is to use Custom Screensavers.

Thanks in advance!

Stewart

Edit

I have ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES on my Kindle - not sure if that means anything though?

Last edited by StuMcBill; 11-26-2011 at 06:47 PM.
StuMcBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
I hope I am right when thinking :

1) "Your Kindle is updating" was a result of Amazon automatically downloading the v3.3 update to your Kindle while it was connected via 3G or WiFi.

2) It was unsuccessful because you have the ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES which will refuse Amazon signed updates and only succeed when accepting JailBreak's key signed updates

3) Nothing is broken but you are still at 3.1. Yes, you can still install 3.3 to benefit from the additional (not many but still useful) features (like personal document synchronized and archived in the Amazon cloud).

4) No need to re-jailbreak. Remove ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES and restart from "menu settings" / "menu restart". Then download v3.3 from Amazon, copy it to the USB drive, and "menu settings / menu restart" again.

5) Since you only have the screen savers installed, the update should go through successfully as no file system has been modified prior to your uptade (e.g. the CRC for files to update will thus match).

6) You can re-add ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES and "menu settings / menu restart" to prevent further future Amazon updates.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
StuMcBill
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
I hope I am right when thinking :

1) "Your Kindle is updating" was a result of Amazon automatically downloading the v3.3 update to your Kindle while it was connected via 3G or WiFi.

2) It was unsuccessful because you have the ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES which will refuse Amazon signed updates and only succeed when accepting JailBreak's key signed updates

3) Nothing is broken but you are still at 3.1. Yes, you can still install 3.3 to benefit from the additional (not many but still useful) features (like personal document synchronized and archived in the Amazon cloud).

4) No need to re-jailbreak. Remove ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES and restart from "menu settings" / "menu restart". Then download v3.3 from Amazon, copy it to the USB drive, and "menu settings / menu restart" again.

5) Since you only have the screen savers installed, the update should go through successfully as no file system has been modified prior to your uptade (e.g. the CRC for files to update will thus match).

6) You can re-add ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES and "menu settings / menu restart" to prevent further future Amazon updates.
Yeah you are correct in your assumption that it was automatically downloaded.

I have deleted ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES and manually downloaded the Update from Amazon, put it on the root of my Kindle, tried to Apply it, and it still fails (Error: U007).

Whats the next step? I have tried uninstalling the Jailbreak (which it says is successful), but it still fails?

Any ideas?

Stew

EDIT

I have just re-read your post, think I missed something! Give me a min!
Old 11-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
StuMcBill
Enthusiast

I never noticed the Menu / Settings, Menu / Restart bit of the procedure.

However, I think I accidentally un-installed my Jailbreak (but my Custom Screensavers are still there)?

Is there anyway I can test if I am still Jailbroken on 3.3? Or can I re-jailbreak 3.3?

Thanks for the help!!

Stew

EDIT

I have just installed yifanlu's 0.51 jailbreak, and it seems to have installed successfully. I have no ENABLE_HACK_UPDATE file on the root?

I just feel like I have a bit of a "mish-mash" of Software Updates / Jailbreaks / Screen Savers. Is there anyway I can return my Kindle to complete Stock state and re-jailbreak and start again? And my books should be available to re-download from Amazon right?

Thanks

Stewart

Last edited by StuMcBill; 11-26-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
did you try to use Menu / Settings/Menu / "Update your Kindle" after copying update file near to the documents folder?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert