Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
fragile
Connoisseur
fragile began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Reading light...

Does anyone know if the 302 host usb port can be used to plug in a USB lamp?
I mostly read in bed lying down on the side. Does anyone know of a good reading lamp for use with the 302...

Thanks!
fragile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile View Post
Does anyone know if the 302 host usb port can be used to plug in a USB lamp?
I mostly read in bed lying down on the side. Does anyone know of a good reading lamp for use with the 302...

Thanks!
Hi Fragile, et al,

I tried the host port and the light came on for a few seconds, and then turned off. I'm not sure why. A USB stick was recognized and remained accessible for as long as it was plugged in.

I bought a reading light from eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_3343wt_1139

- the sale is ended, but the seller has relisted them. The listing doesn't show that it has a connection for an AC adapter, but I found the batteries lasted several weeks before I recharged them just on principle. I actually bought 3, and all have been of similar quality and performance.

The light works well, and the clip is good. I attach mine to the lower right-hand corner, with the cover on and it grips fine.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
fragile
Connoisseur
fragile began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Thanks for you reply Michael!

I wonder if all those flex neck lamps would work for me since I read lying down and often keep changing sides. I was thinking more in the lines of this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Rite-Lite-LPL1...ef=pd_sim_sg_3

But not sure if it casts a shadow or if the beam is large enough to light the entire reader....

Thanks!
fragile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi fragile,

I didn't even consider a light like the one from Amazon. I'm unsure of how well it would work - it may be fine, it may not. What of comfort? A couple of reviewers have commented on the earpiece. The light seems to use the little button batteries, which is good for weight, but one reviewer says feeding it is expensive.

For me it may not be so good. I wear multifocal spectacles and tend to move my head slightly when reading. My feeling is that the moving light would be a distraction.

I understand your view that the goose-neck type of light is not suitable, because of your reading habits.

The solution I wanted was a cover with built in light powered by the USB. Not possible, I'm afraid.

There were some lights on eBay that were a sheet of acrylic or similar that carried light along what amounts to a plane, but I couldn't see how these would stay in place, nor how anyone would access the controls. Probably an even worse solution for you than a goose-neck light.

I wish you well with your search, and if there is anything else you feel I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I use a lamp similar to Mick's. I found that the clip is generally not strong enough if I hold the reader in it's normal reading position if I clip it to the top of the 302. If I clip it to the bottom it interferes with my hand. I can hold the reader upside down and it works quite well. As long as I have the accelerometer setup properly.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Metal Mick
Addict

Hi Jim, et al,

with the loose clip, are you able to get a centre punch and drive the pin (that acts as a hinge for the clip) out? This would then allow you to bend the spring around a bit, increasing the clip's bite.

(But I'd suggest that at under $4 delivered, one like mine might be a worthwhile alternative.)

Cheers,
Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Here are a few more (I've not used any of these, so can't comment on them)...prices include shipping...

http://www.dealextreme.com/c/indoor-...h=clip%20light

Expect it to take between 2 and 8 weeks to arrive though!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Metal Mick
Addict

Hi all,

I have had the "robotic..." light and found the action when it unfolds to be wonderful, but as a reading light the illumination was very uneven. It also uses the expensive little flat batteries. It is a very light unit though.

Cheers,