Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Beau
Connoisseur
Beau doesn't litterBeau doesn't litter

Device: Sony 700, ipod Touch, iphone, Galaxy Tab
error adding books

While adding approx 10 books, 3 added incorrectly. As posted by someone else, the titles showed up as unable to read tags and no formats. (i.e. empty titles) All attempts to remove these 3 problem titles causes calibre to freeze. The other titles added at the same time can be removed with no problems. Windows eventually identifies it as a non responsive program and shuts Calibre down. No error message given. I'm running 0.7.26 on vista 32. I'm attempting to run the database check but it has so far stalled on 0% as well.

I've shut down completely and rebooted. Any further suggestions?

Thanks!
Beau
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
Beau
Connoisseur

Also...

As I'm trying to figure this out:

1) I've run the "library check" function and it has a few errors. Is there something to explain what I should do with this info? I'm hesitant to delete any of the items that are listed willy nilly lest I mess things up further.

2) what is the difference between a "meta data backup" and the "recover database" option? If I end up having a significant problem somewhere, what do I want to do?

3) does the connect to folder option under the connect/share button "sync" my calibre folder with a backup location?

Sorry if these are dumb questions...

Thanks!
Beau
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
ad 2.) The metadata backup (I'm guessing you're referring to the metadata.opf in the books' directory) is the prerequisite step to recover the database. The backup is automatically done by Calibre. If you want to restore the database from the libraries' folder structure, you need to invoke the calibredb restore_database command from prompt.

ad 3.) Well, you can use it as such. If you connect to a folder, Calibre uses the folder it's connected to as a type of reading device, so you can send books to the folder using the send to device- action. Note that you can, for backup purposes, achieve a similar or better effect if you save your books to disk- that should, along with the ebook format(s) you select to save, also save the cover.jpg and metadata.opf files. Also note that another viable backup strategy would be copying a (known good) library folder tree including the metadata.db to a backup location.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
Beau
Connoisseur

Thanks for answering those questions. I'm still unable to remove the 3 books incorrectly added without freezing the program... By freezing I mean that resources are being used, the computer is very busy, but nothing happens. Eventually Windows Identifies it as a program that has stopped working and closes it.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
wait for the next release, that should have a fix for this issue.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
Thanks for answering those questions. I'm still unable to remove the 3 books incorrectly added without freezing the program... By freezing I mean that resources are being used, the computer is very busy, but nothing happens. Eventually Windows Identifies it as a program that has stopped working and closes it.
There was a thread with that same problem some days ago. It's possible there's a bug somewhere. However, the solution posted there is to search for the offending books' internal ID using calibredb list and then removing said books by invoking calibredb remove.

Edit: So the bug was fixed.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote