Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
Gift Nook Tablet to a kid?

I have an unused Nook Tablet that I'd like to give to a 4th grade grandson, who does not have a credit card and is somewhat geographically remote from me. It seems to me it would pretty much be useless to him if he can't buy apps or books.

Has anybody else come up with a solution to this problem?

Do gift cards work if the tablet owner has no credit card?
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
His parents wouldn't sign him up under their credit card? I have two kids, one with a Nook Tablet and one with a Nook Color, and I set up an account under hte older one's name with my credit card. I set both of their Nooks so they need a password entered (which they do not know) to make purchases.

Another option is something my brother did for my niece who got a Nook HD for her birthday. There's a "child account." I'm not sure how it works but it sounded worse to me than the way I did it.

I also think a prepaid Visa gift card would probably work as a credit card for the registration? I'm not positive about that but it's a Visa number so maybe.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Gift cards work with the Nooks, but may not for registration. Call B&N Support and ask them.
As stated earlier using the parents CC will work with a password. I have three Nooks on my account. Be aware that when one person makes a purchase then the book downloads on all of the nooks.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast

I'm dealing with a "situation" where I can't really ask his Mom and step-Dad to let him use their credit card (my son's divorced wife and her new husband), so that won't work. He is too far away for me to feel comfortable turning him loose with mine and I won't be there to enter a password.

I have a gut reaction against calling anybody's tech support, but maybe that's the best bet. It looks like kids can buy stuff using gift cards. Amazon limits app purchases to kids older than 13, but I don't find anything like that on Barnes and Noble's site.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
pwnn
Enthusiast
pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Touch
You can purchase a debit card with a minimum amount and use it for the DRM required #. Then add gift cards to the account and have him purchase through them, instructing him to leave the Debit Card balance alone so you don't have to worry about it being used up or having to refill it.

From this topic on the B&N board any debit or pre-paid card also needs to be tied to an address

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...d/td-p/1239378

Last edited by pwnn; 01-07-2013 at 05:34 PM.
pwnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast

Ah, I had found several threads where folks emphatically stated that debit cards don't work for registration. Thanks for pointing me to this, which explains that the card must have an address associated with it.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
You can load the tablet with books yourself and then send it to him. I presume his parents have a computer? You can continue to add books by sending him a flashdrive through the mail with more books that you have purchased and that can be sideloaded on his device.

Many parents simply shut off purchases for their kids and side load all content. Lets them control what the kid is doing and prevents their credit card info from being stolen by a gifted hack among his friends (or their older bro or sis).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Just be sure to strip any DRM that might be on them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote