Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #31
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
How about them, do you really think that readers should be for rich people only?
yvan, i don't think HarryT doesn't want a price war on the readers. He just pointed out that until the market of ebooks becomes sensibly wider, there are poor chances to have this price war. And that's definitively too bad
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #32
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
How are we to get kids involved in ebooks?
The same kids who read p-books will read e-books. If the format leads them to obvious advantages... like, say, being able to carry their entire collection of books with them... I think kids will be on e-books like a house afire. If they like those advantages enough, even high prices won't keep them out.

If e-book reading devices lead to further advantages in other media... say, color, multimedia, saving clips from e-magazines... the e-magazine readers may "discover" e-books and add them to their burgeoning collection.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #33
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Btw My kids are 23 and 25. Being busy with staying alive, just above poverty line, they can't afford the high prices of readers. How about them, do you really think that readers should be for rich people only?
No, but don't forget, e-books can be read on other devices, which can cost significantly less than dedicated readers. So at least they can get access to e-books, with or without a dedicated reader, and that's what's really important.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #34
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Other devices made it big using a subscription model. Sell the razor cheap and charge for the blades. What if a company, say Amazon, came out with a continuous subscription model? Say they charge $10 a month and you can have one book loaded at a time (or $12 for 2 at once or...). The price point is arbitrary. I have no idea what the market would bear. They can download a new book and delete the old book at will. Sounds like this Netflix model is something the Kindle might be capable of doing.

A lot of us might balk at never actually owning the books but isn't this a path to financial success? They can lower the reader's price because it is made up by a guaranteed income stream.

My other thought about the market is a bundled sale. I'm not sure how it would go over. What if you offered the reader at a reduced price because you are buying e-book store credit at the same time? For example, $450 for the Sony reader with a $300 store credit. This would hit two birds at once, reader price and guaranteed publisher income. Might not fly well because of the higher initial investment. That's why I like the subscription concept better on its chances for success.

If we could access enough books at will would it matter that we never owned them? I think that could induce the paradigm shift to ubiquitous cheap e-readers.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #35
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I'm going to agree that I think that the big win will be for the company who makes people believe that they're getting a real deal, something for free. I doubt it matters if they are getting some content for free (say, 10 books) or if they pay full price but get a discount on the actual device. But people like a bargain, even if it's only an illusion.

I'm not sure the idea of renting a limited number of books is quite as appealing, since I think in most cases, it defeats one of the real selling points of a reader - the sheer number of books you can store at any one time. But maybe it's just not preaching to me.

Finally - the how will we get the kids interested is my favorite question. It's been well over 20 years since I had to "invent" something for a class project, about the one thing you wished existed. It feels surreal that I'm currently living in the future I dreamed of when I was a kid - because ereaders, with their ability to store so many books at the push of a button - was exactly what I wrote up.

It's kind of nice to be living my own dream Next up, flying cars.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #36
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I don't think we'll see a price war on e ink devices until the supply of e ink screens outstrips demand and the price of the screens comes down. But if the Kindle continues to sell well, we might see an upsurge in other screen alternatives for ebook readers. I know many people here really love e ink (and I like it well enough myself), but it's not the only alternative, and a different technology might be found to compete better on price.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #37
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Other devices made it big using a subscription model...
On a subscription model, I'd be looking to get the Kindle for a really discounted price (around $100), and a mildly discounted price (20-30% off) for any books I buy for a period of time, say, 2 years. Sort of like a combination cell phone/book club deal.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:26 AM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
On a subscription model, I'd be looking to get the Kindle for a really discounted price (around $100), and a mildly discounted price (20-30% off) for any books I buy for a period of time, say, 2 years. Sort of like a combination cell phone/book club deal.
The eb1150 can be purchased that way today and the reader is free with the subscription. Check Filament Books. I do not know how successful they are.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #39
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
The same kids who read p-books will read e-books. If the format leads them to obvious advantages... like, say, being able to carry their entire collection of books with them... I think kids will be on e-books like a house afire. If they like those advantages enough, even high prices won't keep them out.

If e-book reading devices lead to further advantages in other media... say, color, multimedia, saving clips from e-magazines... the e-magazine readers may "discover" e-books and add them to their burgeoning collection.
My question was a rhetorical answer to the previous post pointing to the involvement of a notoriously poorer segment of the population that has a marked need for mobile reading. Kid's access to them.
My daughter who reads the most hates computers with a passion but likes my reader. My son dreads reading but is an avid gamer, he couldn't care less for a reader even if it was only ten bucks.

When the reader replaces the 'actual' computers, (note that I said 'actual' because computer functions will evolve too) It will be imperative that they be easily and affordably put in the hands of young ones. If not the disparity of knowlege from rich to poor will only further on and grow to major social cataclysm; and I weighted my words here. The pressure in the pot is already quite high, just take a deep look at the last incidents that took place in France. There are other hot spots around the world that could easily flame in the same ways.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:29 AM   #40
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The eb1150 can be purchased that way today and the reader is free with the subscription. Check Filament Books. I do not know how successful they are.

Dale
one issue with this option, is that it is not available to us in Australia
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #41
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When the reader replaces the 'actual' computers, (note that I said 'actual' because computer functions will evolve too) It will be imperative that they be easily and affordably put in the hands of young ones.
If it's a question of getting needed tools to the young and/or disadvantaged, I'm for a multi-purpose device, not a dedicated device. The young/disadvantaged are better off being able to do more with fewer devices... we shouldn't expect them to need a PC and a dedicated e-book reading device.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #42
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
If it's a question of getting needed tools to the young and/or disadvantaged, I'm for a multi-purpose device, not a dedicated device. The young/disadvantaged are better off being able to do more with fewer devices... we shouldn't expect them to need a PC and a dedicated e-book reading device.
Totally agree. I just wish some manufacturers other than the OLPC's would agree too.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:17 PM   #43
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
nothing from nothing but until there is a universal open source format for ebooks or Amazon licenses their format, then there will never be a price war. I could foresee Amazon will sue anyone who attempts to embed the ability to read the Amazon format either in their player or reader application. That would seem to be the whole point of the proprietary format of the ebooks from Amazon...the largest source of ebooks right now.

So, as long as Amazon is in control of the format of the majority of ebooks which can be read ONLY on their reader...there will be no price war no matter what the production yields on the displays or the technology of those displays.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #44
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Strictly speaking, of course, there's nothing stopping publishers from releasing their e-books in other formats (unless they stupidly signed away their right to do that when they contracted to Amazon). So, if pubs released their e-books in, say, ePub, the war would be on, with e-books, and possibly with readers.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #45
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I can't believe I forgot about Barnes & Noble when I was posting earlier. They must be wanting to get a spot in this market. Maybe they could partner with Bookeen. (Is Bookeen scheduled to support ePub? I've forgotten, now.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote