Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #61
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It does not mean only half enjoy reading on the iPad. Only that half were nit interested in an eink reader due to having an iPad. You canny assume the converse that half are interested in getting an eink reader. We are not told how many are simply not interested in an eink reader iPad or no.

From our own forum on this site, iPad owners are overwhelmingly happy with it as a reader. A good many of them are owners of eink devices and prefer the iPad. Some still prefer their eink devices. But very few have simply not found the iPad good for reading. Nothing like 50% of iPad owners are dissastisfied.

The iPad, mobile phones, and the coming onslaught of android tablets are going to take a significant share of the ereader market. Some still hold onto the notion that lcd's are nit suitable for reading and that serious readers will overwhelmingly choosing eink. That's going to be shown to be untrue.

Eink is going to continue to thrive but only by being cheaper...not better.

Lee
Isn't that the way with everything when it comes to technology? LCDs will be gone before we know it. Except for the cheapest of the cheap.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #62
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It's safe to assume lcd's like all technology will get cheaper and will someday be replaced by newer technology. Kind of irrelevant to the current debate with eink. Eink isn't old technology. It's just that folks thought eink was so much better for reading because eink readers are so much better than reading on computer monitors. An iPad is a computer, and therefore lots of folks assume that it will read like a computer. Turns out that the biggest gain in comfort in reading isn't from the eink but from a nice slate that you can hold in your hand and read like a book.

Thus eink and tablets alike have the same leap in improvement vs reading on a computer. From there, eink and lcd's have different strengths. Eink is clearly superior in bright sunlight and batter life. LCD has better contrast, color, is faster, and reads better in poor light.

Single function eink readers are cheaper than multi function tablet computers.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #63
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
1) 80% of the ipad buyers never wanted to buy a dedicated reader.
2) 20% that bought it are the ones that were waiting for a back lit reader and had nothing viable till then.
3) The people that use an Ipad spend 30% less time reading books then before as they are usually distracted with the things the Ipad can do.

This is from a survey I conducted the sample size is not that big. But I do think its quite accurate
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
1) 80% of the ipad buyers never wanted to buy a dedicated reader.
2) 20% that bought it are the ones that were waiting for a back lit reader and had nothing viable till then.
3) The people that use an Ipad spend 30% less time reading books then before as they are usually distracted with the things the Ipad can do.

This is from a survey I conducted the sample size is not that big. But I do think its quite accurate
78.3% of statistics are meaningless...

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:38 AM   #65
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Isn't that the way with everything when it comes to technology? LCDs will be gone before we know it. Except for the cheapest of the cheap.
Again, not necessarily. I find a reflective LCD to be better for me than the eink. To me, the flash as it shifts type is extremely distracting.

Others surely feel differently.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #66
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Again, not necessarily. I find a reflective LCD to be better for me than the eink. To me, the flash as it shifts type is extremely distracting.

Others surely feel differently.
What I mean is that LCD/LED will be replaced by different technologies like OLED/AMOLED, perhaps color e-ink, whatever. Give LCDs 2-3 more years, then they will be gone.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:15 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What I mean is that LCD/LED will be replaced by different technologies like OLED/AMOLED, perhaps color e-ink, whatever. Give LCDs 2-3 more years, then they will be gone.
Technologies certainly do change. My first "portable" computer (a thing the size of a small suitcase) had a gas plasma display - a mono display technology which had glowing green letters on a black background. I wonder how many readers of this forum have ever even seen such a display?
Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #68
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Technologies certainly do change. My first "portable" computer (a thing the size of a small suitcase) had a gas plasma display - a mono display technology which had glowing green letters on a black background. I wonder how many readers of this forum have ever even seen such a display?
I had a Toshiba like that. But I think that one had glowing orange letters.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:43 AM   #69
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Quote:
Didn't I see one of those in 2001: A Space Odyssey? Oh no, that was Hal. It's amazing how quickly the futuristic morphs into the archaic.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I had a Toshiba like that. But I think that one had glowing orange letters.
Sorry, you're right - it was orange! Mine was an Olivetti.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:40 AM   #71
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Sorry, you're right - it was orange! Mine was an Olivetti.
Can't imagine looking at a computer screen with glowing orange letters! Must've been murder on the eyes
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The only other type of display around at the time were CRT displays, most of which were also still mono, so there was really no alternative. Although gas plasma displays were reasonably portable, they operated with a very high voltage, and so required mains electricity.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #73
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I guess I wasn't clear by what I meant with "without a contract". That means you are buying the device unlocked and straight from Dell without cell coverage, no phone no data plan.

Honestly though you have the Kindle DX and that comes with 3G. I'd think that device would suit you needs just fine. While the browser isn't blazing fast it's good enough when you visit mobile web sites. I find my Kindle 2 works great for casual browsing.

=X=
You were clear, I just wasn't thinking that this thing has WiFi. It has to have some sort of Internet connection. As far as the Kindle, the browser is usable in an emergency, but for normal use, it stinks IMO.

No matter, I've found the answer: both. My wife and I are headed to the local Apple store today, and if I like the basic WiFi iPad (hmmm, let me think...), she'll let me have that AND keep my new Graphite.

Problem solved!
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #74
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It does not mean only half enjoy reading on the iPad. Only that half were nit interested in an eink reader due to having an iPad. You canny assume the converse that half are interested in getting an eink reader. We are not told how many are simply not interested in an eink reader iPad or no.

The iPad, mobile phones, and the coming onslaught of android tablets are going to take a significant share of the ereader market. Some still hold onto the notion that lcd's are nit suitable for reading and that serious readers will overwhelmingly choosing eink. That's going to be shown to be untrue.

Eink is going to continue to thrive but only by being cheaper...not better.

Lee
I did not say half "enjoy reading on the iPad". I said half have their eReading needs met. If your need for eReading = 0, your needs are met by default.

Some still hold onto the notion that LCDs are suitable for reading and that serious readers will overwhelmingly choose LCD. That's going to be shown untrue.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #75
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Hmm.. I guess I'm among the 51% then... somewhat.. I mean I have had my Kindle for over a year, and was holding to buy another one for my mother until I can try the iPad. Now that I have an iPad and she has tried both iPad and Kindle we're more convinced than ever that Kindle is best for her. Kindle for reading, iPad for browsing, email, and all those "i" stuffs.
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote