Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2014, 04:42 AM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I used to stand in line to punch the time clock. I didn't get paid for that time, just from the time I punched in. And I didn't get paid waiting to get out of the parking lot, either. People are ridiculous. I haven't gone to lunch in forever--everyone works hard these days.
I bet you got paid for the time you stood in line waiting to punch out though, didn't you?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:46 AM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's not outrageous, it's how the law is written and has been since the 30's. Where are you going to draw the line? Should people be able to charge for the amount of time it takes to get from home to work and back? I mean, actually showing up is generally required for continued employment.
No. What a vapid, straw man argument. No one is arguing that they should be paid for time going to work and back. It's time "held in custody" for the screenings, while still on the jobsite that they should be paid for. Prosecute the thieves, don't punish everyone for their wrongdoing.

Should Amazon be able to require 2 hour employee meetings every week, off the clock?
Advert
Old 12-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Did you spend an hour or more doing those things? My understanding is that in this case, the time spend waiting to be searched is not trivial.
If that is true -- and extra hour each day, that's comes out to approximately 260 hours a year -- or $2,600 at $10 an hour. That's just pure theft. I guess it's time for Amazon employees to unionize. No wonder Amazon doesn't want to pay their employees for time on the job.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-11-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:51 AM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Because this screening is done at the end of a shift then my solution is that it happens in company time.
Yep. Agreed. The time clock should be at the end of the screening line.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:54 AM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Nor do I, as an Amazon buyer, want to have to pay more for items,
I, as an Amazon customer, expect Amazon to pay their employees fairly if they want to keep me as their customer. If the screening time is trivial -- as some claim here -- then put the time clock behind the screening line. Problem solved.
Advert
Old 12-11-2014, 04:56 AM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
[url=http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/08/amazon-supreme-court-nevada-wage-and-hour-pay/16924227/]Amazon.com spokeswoman Kelly Cheeseman said workers now have "little or no wait" to get through the security screening.
And we all know a company paid spokesman is always going to be dead honest when their company's reputation is at stake.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If that's true, then why doesn't Amazon place the time clocks at the end of the security checks? What have they got to lose?
I asked the same (later). Sorry about the redundancy. Something doesn't quite "add up" here, does it?
Old 12-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
What the average is, the news coverage hasn't made clear, but the court documents say "up to 25 minutes." If that's common, that's just not reasonable.
Yep. 25 a minutes a day, would be approximately 195 hours a year -- or, for simplicity at $10 an hour, $1,950. Not insignificant.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #39
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
No. What a vapid, straw man argument. No one is arguing that they should be paid for time going to work and back. It's time "held in custody" for the screenings, while still on the jobsite that they should be paid for. Prosecute the thieves, don't punish everyone for their wrongdoing.

Should Amazon be able to require 2 hour employee meetings every week, off the clock?
It's not a straw man argument. The point is where do you draw the line? The argument about whither or not Amazon should have such security measures in place is a different argument or discussion. (Personally, I wouldn't want to work for such a company).

According to the line drawn by the law (i.e. work related tasks) a 2 hour employee meeting would be on the clock. In this specific case, I think that anyone who exits that area, be they employee or not, has to go through the security check point, thus it's not actually work related.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I find this ruling odd.
I received a 'back wages' check because of a wage lawsuit.

The reason:
Employees had to pick up their 'required equipment' (minor line standing at the issue window), then clock in precisely at start time (You heard about Early or Late clock ins).

This ruling said that employees need not be paid to pick up required Safety equipment. Splitting hairs?

It is real easy to 'take all the time you need' (and a single line station) to inspect when you are not paying.

Think TSA. Pretty soon, they will charge employees to be inspected if the want to keep their job.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
So everyone should be "punished" for the possible crimes of a few? I never agreed with that in elementary school and I don't agree with it now.
I'm afraid it's the way society works. Why do we have border controls at airports which cause long delays to every honest traveller? Because of the possible crimes of a few. Why are there ticket inspectors on trains, which make travel more expensive for everyone? Because of the possible crimes of a few.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #42
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Obviously not.
They're Amazon, after all.

Other companies can and do.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Obviously not.
They're Amazon, after all.

Other companies can and do.
I don't know how it is in the US, but certainly in the UK, unpaid overtime, especially in professional jobs, is more the norm than the exception. My "official" working week is 37h; in reality I probably do on average 5-10h a week more than that, and a lot more when there's an important project that has to get done.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I was a clock puncher. Meetings and clothing changes were done on company time. Mandatory training and re-certification tests were also done on company time. I did absolutely zero company activity off the clock.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #45
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know how it is in the US, but certainly in the UK, unpaid overtime, especially in professional jobs, is more the norm than the exception. My "official" working week is 37h; in reality I probably do on average 5-10h a week more than that, and a lot more when there's an important project that has to get done.
Depends on the profession but the phrase "and other duties as assigned" is common in the engineering world. "Crunch time" is similarly common in the gaming software world. SiliValley startups thrive on young singles because they will happily put in 80-plus hours a week for their stock option bonuses.

Not everybody is paid by the clock.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote