Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
twentw
twentw began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Problem with covers

I'm having an issue viewing covers in many of my books. My usual routine is to create/convert to epub and then use Calibre to download an appropriate cover. This part always works fine. But on many books, the covers don't display (it just gives the generic Calibre cover). What I mean is that the cover displays properly when I'm viewing metadata, but if I open in the E-book viewer or on my device, I get the generic cover. Replacing the cover or rebuilding the epub make no difference. Any idea how to fix this?
twentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentw View Post
I'm having an issue viewing covers in many of my books. My usual routine is to create/convert to epub and then use Calibre to download an appropriate cover. This part always works fine. But on many books, the covers don't display (it just gives the generic Calibre cover). What I mean is that the cover displays properly when I'm viewing metadata, but if I open in the E-book viewer or on my device, I get the generic cover. Replacing the cover or rebuilding the epub make no difference. Any idea how to fix this?
you need to do a conversion (epub to epub will do) to add it to the ebook file
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
twentw

That didn't work. I'm not sure why converting from epub to epub would make any difference.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have had the same problem where I converted a Text document to epub, added a cover via Calibre and then just got the generic Calibre cover. The cover I had downloaded came next, ie was page 1 of the document, but I can't get it to show as the cover.

I read in another thread (can't remember which one) that the next Calibre version would have something in it to fix problems with covers. From memory that was about a week ago, so maybe it is coming soon.

I have had a separate problem just in the last couple of days where I have epub books in the Calibre library and do the "send to device" one book at a time. It appears on the Calibre library and the device library that this has happened, but when I unplug the reader, only some of the books have gone across. For example, I just tried sending eight books, one at a time, ie not highlighting all eight at once. Three went across, five didn't.

However, I have got round this by opening the Calibre Library folder in Finder (we have a Mac) and then pulling across the books one at a time into the ereader showing on the desk top. That worked for me, so could be worth trying if others are having that problem. I assume that those with Windows could do something similar.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:51 AM   #5
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
you need to do a conversion (epub to epub will do) to add it to the ebook file
Oh thank you! It did work for me.

Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentw View Post
That didn't work. I'm not sure why converting from epub to epub would make any difference.
i don't know why it didn't work for you but the reason it's supposed to work is that a conversion writes the cover stored in the calibre dadabase to the newly converted copy of the book file.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-13-2011 at 11:14 AM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
twentw

I tried it again and it did work with most of my books. There were a few that didn't work when doing epub to epub conversion, but did work going from another format to epub.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 AM   #8
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Well now, I have downloaded the latest Calibre update, which says it sorts out the problem of added covers (unless I misunderstood what it said) and then tested it out with a book I downloaded this morning and then added a cover to. Result when operating the "send to device" - the book without the cover. So after doing the epub to epub conversion, removing the original epub version, I tried again, and the darned thing wouldn't go across at all.

Eventually I solved the problem by going into Calibre Library under the Mac Finder icon, and did a drag and drop of the folder for the book plus cover. That worked.

So is there something else I should be doing to make it work? Any advice would be appreciated for this non-technical person!