Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Red Line Train
Red Line Train began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle DX -- USB File Transfer

When I try to transfer files via USB from my home PC to the Kindle DX, Windows XP throws an error and stops recognizing the Kindle after a few small files have been transferred. I then have to hard reboot the Kindle in order for it to be recognized by the PC again.

Has anybody here experienced this problem?

The problem doesn't occur at my work PC, which also runs Windows XP, and I have a number of USB devices (iPod, camera, etc.) that work fine on my home PC. So it doesn't appear to be a problem with my particular Kindle.

Last edited by Red Line Train; 06-30-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Red Line Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
MrDetermination
MrDetermination is on a distinguished road

Have you tried multiple USB ports on that machine?

Are you using the same cable at home and work?
MrDetermination is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
Red Line Train

Trying a different USB port fixed it. Just transferred 1,000 files @ ~ 350 MB. Many thanks!

I was daisy chaining USB hubs and it appears that the hub I had originally plugged the Kindle in to had a glitch. Maybe another USB device attached to the hub is conflicting. Maybe there was a problem due to the hub being one level too far away from the PC.

Once I get a free moment, I try to figure out which, if any, device has the conflict.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That's one thing I don't miss about PCs, IRQ conflicts - two devices sharing the same interrupt request. I use mac now and don't miss those weird windows issues.

The USB in the back of the PC is generall the best and you might find that different USB ports also have different charge rates and data transfer speeds. It would be great if Kindle had a firewire 800 port!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Red Line Train

This is the first time that I've had a problem with a USB port -- and I have a large number of attached devices. So I would describe the inconvenience as minimal.
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
MrDetermination
MrDetermination is on a distinguished road

My theory is that the USB hub/daisy chain lowered the power supplied to the point where it was shorting out. Jacking straight in gave it enough juice to maintain the connection. If this is the case it had nothing to do with the Operating System.
MrDetermination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Red Line Train

Good thought, but the hub is independently powered.