Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
fcmonroe
fcmonroe is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
coffee in the kindle??? HELP!!

The title says it all. My question now is how long should I wait before I try turning it back on? It was on when the spill happened, and I turned it off as soon as I realized what had happened. The battery compartment was dry, but I'm afraid the keyboard may have gotten more than just some surface drops of coffee.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Wow, sorry to hear that, I hope it works out.

How long has it been and how are you letting dry out? I would think letting it dry face down on a level surface might be helpful. I probably wouldn't try a blow dryer in case it blew the coffee deeper into the Kindle.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i think daffy has some good suggestions. i would definitely wait a long time, as in several hours or even overnight, before trying to turn it on, as usually the damage to electronics from water is not from getting wet necessarily but from shorting them out when they are turned on while wet. i'm not an expert though.

good luck !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
fcmonroe

Did the deed this morning. I'm waiting at least overnight. It seems dry now, but I don't want to take any chances. I wish it had been off when I spilled it, then there might be more hope.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i think daffy has some good suggestions. i would definitely wait a long time, as in several hours or even overnight, before trying to turn it on, as usually the damage to electronics from water is not from getting wet necessarily but from shorting them out when they are turned on while wet. i'm not an expert though.

good luck !

Tim took the car door lock clicker into the pool in his pocket, then clicked it when he pulled it out. $350 to replace it? I think not! Just use the key in the lock like everyone else, and try not to ruin any more tiny little gadgets today.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well you never know, if you wait until it's definitely dry, it might all work out... fingers crossed !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would give Amazon a call and ask them if they have a repair service. Because if it's broke, you'll need to get it fixed. Of course, Amazon could just turn around and offer to replace it. Would not hurt to call them. Then you'll know what your options are should it not work properly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I did something like that. Spilled water on my little mini-laptop while it was on, shorted out something in the keyboard. Funny thing was, I stuffed it in the closet for like 2 years, took it back out and on a whim, and it worked fine.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I did something like that. Spilled water on my little mini-laptop while it was on, shorted out something in the keyboard. Funny thing was, I stuffed it in the closet for like 2 years, took it back out and on a whim, and it worked fine.
funny - had the same thing with my laptop. But I only waited 2 months -was getting ready to take it in to have the hard drive spun. Decided to give it one last try - it worked just great. Unfortunately, I had already purchased a new laptop, but at least I got some designs off the old one that weren't backed up.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
bakerjw
Enthusiast
bakerjw doesn't litterbakerjw doesn't litter

Device: none
If coffee got into the matrix of the keyboard, it may be toast. If it didn't get into the electronics then you will probably be ok.

if it were my Kindle, I'd take it apart and wash everything off with water. BUT, I have been an electronics technician working on everything imaginable for 15+ years.

Best of luck. I really hope that it didn't get into anything.
bakerjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
fcmonroe

It limps along. I can open books and read them, but the wireless is very, very buggy. I can get to the store, but that's about it. Also, I can't put it to sleep and wake it up reliably. I haven't tested the recharger. I'm kind of scared to. We're getting a new one. I'm probably going to keep it hermitically sealed.

Frances
Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 PM   #12
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Are you getting a replacement from Amazon, or buying one? Because if you are going to buy a new one, there isn't really any point in NOT opening the case up. It also might be that Amazon would repair it, for a fee. They have to have some broken ones hanging around headquarters....
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmonroe View Post
It limps along. I can open books and read them, but the wireless is very, very buggy. I can get to the store, but that's about it. Also, I can't put it to sleep and wake it up reliably. I haven't tested the recharger. I'm kind of scared to. We're getting a new one. I'm probably going to keep it hermetically sealed.

Frances
Have you given Amazon a call to find out what can be done with the one you have? It cannot hurt to find out what Amazon will do for you. Besides, it will help us tell better what kind of support Amazon has for the Kindle when it's broken by user error.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #14
fcmonroe

We called. Not covered by the warrenty and there is no repair service. We're paying for the replacement. If I get brave, I may open it up and try washing with distilled water. I figure it can't hurt anything. Sounds like a holiday break project. We had day one of school on Monday and now we're going back next Monday after a break from the tropical storm winds and the flooding. It's been crazy here.

Frances

Last edited by fcmonroe; 08-22-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmonroe View Post
We called. Not covered by the warrenty and there is no repair service. We're paying for the replacement. If I get brave, I may open it up and try washing with distilled water. I figure it can't hurt anything. Sounds like a holiday break project. We had day one of school on Monday and now we're going back next Monday after a break from the tropical storm winds and the flooding. It's been crazy here.

Frances
I'd like to make a suggestion. Buy something other then a Kindle. That way if you have a similar issue and the screen is fine, you can get it repaired instead of having to buy a new one.

Tags
duck!