Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #31
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
WOW! I am very impressed, Hadrien! I have used the Fictionwise ereader, and the bookshelf apps, but the stanza interface is much better than either of those.

I imagine they will all have their uses, but the formatting, and functionality of the Stanza app is far more useful. Almost limitless "font" sizing, and the navigation is superior.

I am looking forward to the eInk market getting software this advanced. The iPod Touch is getting to be my favorite reader (for the moment).
You should thank the Lexcycle team then (Marc for example) ! On my end, I'll continue on improving the API, and work with Lexcycle to bring more neat features to the iPhone.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #32
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I like reading on my iphone. I downloaded 4 free ebooks off the Stanza Library 1) Moby Dick 2) The Creature 3) Pride & Prejudice and 4) The Time Machine and didn't have a single problem. They were all loaded via Edge and took very little time but I also have my iphone hooked up to a power source at work so I think that helps. I love that I could change the font to Arial and make it Dark Green.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #33
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I like reading on my iphone. I downloaded 4 free ebooks off the Stanza Library 1) Moby Dick 2) The Creature 3) Pride & Prejudice and 4) The Time Machine and didn't have a single problem. They were all loaded via Edge and took very little time but I also have my iphone hooked up to a power source at work so I think that helps. I love that I could change the font to Arial and make it Dark Green.
Could you post some screen shot??

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #34
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Do you know where the release notes are? I don't see them on the web site anywhere. I want to see what they added since the version I have.

BOb
Dunno which version you have, but they've added "export to iPhone" in the latest version. Dunno what else - but that part mattered to me.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #35
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Dunno which version you have, but they've added "export to iPhone" in the latest version. Dunno what else - but that part mattered to me.
Hmm isn't "export to iPhone" a feature to export as iPhone bookmarklets rather than to sync with the application ?
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #36
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Just checked the list of top free apps on the App Store:
#66 Stanza
#74 eReader
If you take a look, something such as the app for Typepad is #63. This means that applications dedicated to e-books on the iPhone are fairly successful so far, and Stanza is leading the pack.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #37
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Hmm isn't "export to iPhone" a feature to export as iPhone bookmarklets rather than to sync with the application ?
Sorry, yeah. I hadn't actually tried it yet. The 'sync w application' part is under TOOLS -- "enable sharing" and "allow anonymous sharing". Haven't gotten it to work yet, but we have too many network zones at work for my iphone and my mac to be on the same zone. Will try at home.

HAVE experienced what someone said -- the mac application totally wedges itself and will no longer start at all, unless you turn both the above options
OFF before you quit it. I imagine that will be fixed in the next version!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #38
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Sorry, yeah. I hadn't actually tried it yet. The 'sync w application' part is under TOOLS -- "enable sharing" and "allow anonymous sharing". Haven't gotten it to work yet, but we have too many network zones at work for my iphone and my mac to be on the same zone. Will try at home.

HAVE experienced what someone said -- the mac application totally wedges itself and will no longer start at all, unless you turn both the above options
OFF before you quit it. I imagine that will be fixed in the next version!
Stanza is still in a beta state, maybe you should mention such problems to Lexcycle directly ?

Try support@lexcycle.com for such feedback.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #39
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Just checked the list of top free apps on the App Store:
#66 Stanza
#74 eReader
If you take a look, something such as the app for Typepad is #63. This means that applications dedicated to e-books on the iPhone are fairly successful so far, and Stanza is leading the pack.
They must track this by each country. I checked my iTunes Store (Canada) and

# 42 eReader
# 61 Stanza
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #40
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
They must track this by each country. I checked my iTunes Store (Canada) and

# 42 eReader
# 61 Stanza
That would explain the bad french translations that they've got for most of the apps too...

Time.com just featured Stanza as one of the top 11 apps: http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...823554,00.html

It's more 70,000 books than 20,000 books by the way...
Old 07-21-2008, 05:33 AM   #41
carlosgp
carlosgp began at the beginning.

Device: iPaq HX4700 / iPod Touch
This app has the potential of being the best ebook reader in pdas or smartphones. Right now is superb, and still is their first version. Lexcycle seem a very dynamic company and I'm sure they will improve their software fast. The potential of the iPhone as ebook platform is huge with ebook readers like this one .
carlosgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #42
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I think Stanza has great potential, but I don't like how they handle serving their books. Unless I'm missing something, my book has to be currently open on the desktop in order to download it to my iPhone. And it only works locally.

For serving, I prefer Bookshelf, which I know is a paid-for app, because I can leave the server running on my MacPro and download my books while I'm out and about.

If Stanza had a better serving solution in place, I think they'd win handily - I think they're a better reader experience.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #43
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I think Stanza has great potential, but I don't like how they handle serving their books. Unless I'm missing something, my book has to be currently open on the desktop in order to download it to my iPhone. And it only works locally.

For serving, I prefer Bookshelf, which I know is a paid-for app, because I can leave the server running on my MacPro and download my books while I'm out and about.

If Stanza had a better serving solution in place, I think they'd win handily - I think they're a better reader experience.
You could also set up your own catalog, but you need to be a bit of a techy (XML). With their current catalog system, they just need a simple GUI though, to make this easy enough to use.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #44
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
With their current catalog system, they just need a simple GUI though, to make this easy enough to use.
That's what I'm hoping for They'll be a clear-cut winner with that added, IMO.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #45
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Just a quick question, We are just talking about Non DRM books here correct? Or can I buy and Epub format from say Books on Board and read it with Stanza?

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, feedbooks, iphone, ipod touch, lexcycle, stanza