Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
gravescp
gravescp is on a distinguished road

Device: iphone
Day one with my new Kindle

I have spent a full day with my new Kindle. I have read a full NYT, 3 samples from amazon, and 1/2 of a free feedbook's book. I can't say how much I love this device. The pictures online give the device no justice, and I must agree with many others that you really have to see the device in person to appreciate it.

If you are on the fence for the kindle order it and use it a little. With amazon's 30 day return you have only the $10 shipping to lose.
gravescp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
CopperTrail
Enthusiast
CopperTrail is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Axim X3i
My Kindle arrived last week and I share your thoughts. The more I use it, the more I like it. Its an amazing device Congrats on your new Kindle and enjoy!
CopperTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As a matter of interest, what influenced you to buy a Kindle rather than one of the other eInk devices on the market?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
I just got my Kindle yesterday, and I'll tell you what my thinking was: (By the way, I just cut and pasted this from the NutriSystem forums where I was asked the same question):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamill View Post
Hey Haggis... I purchased the Sony e-reader on line and I really like it, but I have not seen a kindle (I'm in Canada) so I don't have a comparison. If you get the e-reader now you can download up to 100 free books (all classics but some great ones).
Yeah, I saw that. In fact, at Walmart.com I saw the Sony 505 for only $268 (and also with the free "classic" book downloads), and it was really tempting. In fact, I had the payment form ready to go, but backed out at the last minute. I looked over the list of "free" books and realized the VAST majority of those were public domain and could already be had for free. Then I looked closer and noticed that really only a couple of them interested me, and even then only marginally.

I went with the Kindle for a few reasons, and some of them are not really good reasons, but added up in the long haul. I'm not against the Sony E-reader, in fact, I think it's probably a better piece of hardware, but here was my thinking in getting the Kindle (FOR NOW):
  • Amazon is offering FREE guaranteed 2 day delivery, with a guarantee that I'll have my Kindle Monday. Since I'm flying out a week from today, that sounded dandy.
  • After adding in appropriate shipping to get the Sony to me by Monday, the cost would have been around $330 anyway, and I thought it was worth another $28 to get the wireless connectivity of the Kindle.
  • Amazon has a 30 day return policy. If I get back from my trip and have buyer's remorse, or if the thing just stinks, I get to return it. The Sony (even at WalMart) didn't have as generous a return policy.
  • Sony is not known for their outstanding content, while Amazon is basically a content company. In the future, Amazon will MOST LIKELY be able to offer me more customer service and products that I want.
  • I didn't find but 2 or 3 books on Sony's site that I was interested in, while I already have a pretty substantial wish list over at Amazon.
  • The Kindle has the free trial subscriptions for the newspaper services, which is pretty cool. Plus, my cousin writes for Slate.com and it will be neat to subscribe to that and then show it to him on the trip.
  • Not that this is a big deal, but I'm a Wikipedia-aholic, and the Kindle gives me free wireless access to Wikipedia. That alone could satisfy me for hours on end.
  • Contrary to what many people say, I like the look of the Kindle. Someone panned its design and said it looked like something out of a late '70s Star Wars film. Are you kidding me? I'm a Star Wars FREAK! That's a bonus for me! I might even slap on a tiny Star Wars sticker above the keyboard for good measure.
  • I've seen mods for the Kindle's cover involving velcro that make it a nifty holder, and bypasses the problem some klutzy people are having with the page turn buttons. I personally really like the page turn button design and wish I had- had it today while I struggled with a paperback copy of Prince Caspian over a messy lunch.
  • I get to download a bagpipe music book that in regular print would cost me about 4 times as much as I'm getting the download for. This will be incredibly more convenient to take to my lessons, and no worries about the wind blowing my pages over while I'm playing!
  • I like the rubber backing on the Kindle, and even though the Sony is metal and looks more substantial, I am VERY careful with my things and have no worries about the fragility of the Kindle.
  • It's just plain kewl.

I'm sure that better and more affordable e-reading devices will come along (or at least they should), but until then I'll stick with the Kindle...unless it sucks, and then I'll return it and get the Sony from Wal Mart. Anywho, it appears that for at least the next couple of years the models that are out are the models we will have, so why not jump in now and go for it? I'm willing to pay a little more to have the luxury now. After all, I'm saving money now by eating less and taking less medication. I say that deserves a reward.

Hey...the Kindle's an NSV reward!
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
From what I can tell very few decide to send back the Kindle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
Just chiming in, I went with the Kindle because the Amazon price for the equivalent best-seller ebooks is so much less!
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunny View Post
Just chiming in, I went with the Kindle because the Amazon price for the equivalent best-seller ebooks is so much less!
So much less than what?

I've just looked at the current NYT bestseller list, and their number 1 book is "Blood Noir" by Laurell Hamilton.

This costs $9.99 in the Kindle store, but only $9.71 at Fictionwise in both MobiPocket and Microsoft Reader formats.

Number 2 is "The Host" by Stephanie Meyer. $9.99 at Kindle, $9.79 at Fictionwise.

Number 3 is "Odd Hours" by Dean Koontz. $9.99 at Kindle, $9.80 at Fictionwise.

In fact, out of the current top five on the NYT list, four are (slightly) more expensive at the Kindle store than at Fictionwise.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
honeybunny
Connoisseur

One of the first purchases I made was the new Mary Higgins Clark. It was then going for $24.99 at Fictionwise, and i got it for $9.99 at Amazon. It is possible that Fictionwise and others have adjusted their prices downward due to the Kindle.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
honeybunny
Connoisseur

And if you are referring to Fictionwise's Micropay rebate thing, that's not quite valid with comparing it to Amazon's "normal" price.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's "real money". I agree that it's not the "list price", but you never pay "list price" at FW any more than you do at Amazon.

Just making the point that one cannot honestly say that that the Kindle Store is significantly cheaper than elsewhere. What the Kindle has indeed done is driven down prices elsewhere - everyone's gained. I applaud Amazon for that.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunny View Post
One of the first purchases I made was the new Mary Higgins Clark. It was then going for $24.99 at Fictionwise, and i got it for $9.99 at Amazon. It is possible that Fictionwise and others have adjusted their prices downward due to the Kindle.
Is that the book called "Where Are You Now?" Just checked and that's $9.71 at FW after rebates, etc.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is that the book called "Where Are You Now?" Just checked and that's $9.71 at FW after rebates, etc.
Harry,

Why NOT go with the kindle? I have never even hooked it up to my damn PC. When I go on the road, I can just buy new material on-the-fly. I can search, I have a built-in dictionary (which I use a lot), etc. The selection is significantly larger than other ebook stores as well.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Harry,

Why NOT go with the kindle? I have never even hooked it up to my damn PC. When I go on the road, I can just buy new material on-the-fly. I can search, I have a built-in dictionary (which I use a lot), etc. The selection is significantly larger than other ebook stores as well.

-d

Harry is in the UK. Whispernet is useless to him as it wont work over there. Most of your examples (except the store) wouldn't really work in his situation.

There is another thread on the selection. It seems while numbers are large for amazon, they may be misleading. Check the Sony forum for the topic I am talking about.
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The club price at Fictionwise is often a little lower, granted. However, they often don't have excerpts or, if they do, they are quite short. If we take Blood Noir as an example, it doesn't have any sort of free sample. Usually the sample at Amazon is a full chapter or more. If I like the first chapter, I typically enjoy the rest of the book. If I'm saving $0.28 but giving up the long samples, one clunker eats up about 35 books worth of savings. In my book buying experience before the Kindle, I ended up not liking at least 10% of the books I bought well enough to finish them. I'd read a little standing in the store, maybe the first few pages, but often that's not enough. I haven't had that happen yet with any of the books I've bought from Amazon. I've read plenty of samples and not purchased the book, though. To me, that's some serious money saved.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You have to admit this is a big change over the last 6 months since the Kindle has been available. For the Sony reader also if you are talking "out of the box" experience the Sony bookstore was the only source for copyrighted material (yes Baen, Steven Jordan, scifi-az notwithstanding) and they costs of many best sellers and new releases was usually list price.

I currently think the Sony, CyBook and Kindle are the best three choices out there... they all have slight differences and upsides/downsides. To each his own

I have a Sony 500 because it was the "only" choice when I bought it and I couldn't justify the Sony bookstore prices... so I went elsewhere for ebooks, learned to break LIT drm and convert. But, the average user won't do this stuff. Now the Kindle is alot more convenient for me. Although I am still on the fence as to keeping it due to the ability of Kindle ebooks being locked to that device (unless I want to get more Kindles.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote