Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #16
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
@tubemonkey: I like them too. I paid full price for my kindle keyboard 3G with no SO's, but after seeing some of the offers, I opted (from the "Manage My Kindle" page) to have them added to mine, just to access them. I didn't get any rebate or anything for it, but the offers themselves have been more than worth it.

They're so non-obtrusive, I have to go to the menu and check for the latest offers, or I'd overlook most of them.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #17
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I'm just curious as to when I will get my first Special Offer for a Kindle Paperwhite on my K4 screen.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I don't care for ads, but it explains how Amazon can offer an 8.9" HD screen for $300.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
According to The Verge all of the new Kindle Fire models are ad supported. Ads will be shown on the lock screen. There doesn't appear to be any way to opt out.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/329...special-offers
No sale for me. My daughter won't allow me to buy a device where she can't change the wallpaper.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #20
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
On my Kindle Kbd WiFi 3rd Gen there is a place on the "Manage your Kindle Devices" page on the Amazon site where one can subscribe to special offers or UNSUBSCRIBE.

I notlce my new Kindle HD 7 and my Kindle Paperwhite are both listed there already. The Paperwhite can be purchased without ads for a premium price. I purchased the one without ads.

We will have to wait to see if the new Fire HD has the ad option on that page. The option, if available, will be listed under the "Special Offers" column.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-07-2012 at 09:33 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I'm just curious as to when I will get my first Special Offer for a Kindle Paperwhite on my K4 screen.
You're not getting any Special Offers as far as I can tell. There's nothing on the product pages for the regular Kindles indicating that Amazon is going to re-start the Special Offers program for them. The only Kindles slated to get Special Offers are the new Fires (as indicated on their product pages).

Never mind, I found the info on the product pages

It just dawned on me that you're not in the US. This program is only available for US owners.

Quote:
Kindle with Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers is only available in the U.S.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-07-2012 at 06:36 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #22
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I don't care for ads, but it explains how Amazon can offer an 8.9" HD screen for $300.
That's certainly a large part of it. But I also believe that Amazon is attempting to establish a consistent advertising avenue. If Amazon can maintain that all (virtually all, minus the 2% who will flash custom ROM) Fire HD devices display ads, that makes ads more appealing to advertisers.

I don't get how those type of ads can make money, but they must because companies still advertise.

Some dismiss forced ads and lack of removable media on these devices as some kind of tin-foil hat conspiracy, but it is all part of the incrementalism that will result in paying more for less.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #23
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
I really don't need an ereader that I pay for to be yet another channel for constant advertising barrages, no matter how unobtrusive. (If they were giving me a kindle for free...)

Just too much constant advertisement. On the back of register recipients, on restaurant placemats, etc. Seemingly everywhere you look.

What does bug me about Amazon's implementation of the special offers/ads is in their advertised prices. They should advertise the real price and then the savings if you opt for special offers. Not act like they have a cheap/cheaper price but, oh, by the way, that's only if you accept special offers.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #24
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
But it's EXTRA sneaky on the Fire, since you can't even see the special offer and non-special offers versions to know that they HAVE special offers. How many people are going to buy these without knowing about the ads, and then get pissed off when they see them? I guess Amazon is banking on the answer being: not that many.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Apparently Amazon will provide an opt-out. No word on the cost.

LINK
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #26
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Opt Out Mechanism already exists

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Apparently Amazon will provide an opt-out. No word on the cost.

LINK
As I posted up above, there already is a column called "Special Offers" at the Amazon site page called "Managing Your Kindle Devices" where one can opt in or out. The default will probably be to opt in for the Kindle Fire HD 7 and 8.9.

Most folks won't know they could opt out so they will just leave the ads as they are. A very few will find out and may want to opt out. I doubt Amazon will charge for this option which already exists.

With the Paperwhite there already is a premium charge levied to opt out of the ads when one buys the unit.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-07-2012 at 03:12 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #27
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Q: Will it be possible to buy a version of the new devices without Special Offers? Can I remove Special Offers at a later date?

A: We are only offering these devices with Special Offers enabled. By delivering these offers to your Kindle Fire, Amazon is able to sell it for a lower price. Special Offers cannot be removed from the Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire HD 8.9", and Kindle Paperwhite.
Announcement
FAQ: Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Fire HD

Initial post: Sep 7, 2012 4:08:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author 46 minutes ago
Kevin G. - Community Manager
Amazon Official
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #28
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
How long before the "opt out app" appears? Or "opt out" hack? Or "opt out" buy out?
( I really like that last one.)

Anyway, I get too many ads from Amazon in my email now.
I don't want them.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #29
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
How long before the "opt out app" appears? Or "opt out" hack? Or "opt out" buy out?
( I really like that last one.)

Anyway, I get too many ads from Amazon in my email now.
I don't want them.
If there is a lot of b!tch1ng, Ammy will create an opt-out (for $). I'm sure of that.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #30
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
If there is a lot of b!tch1ng, Ammy will create an opt-out (for $). I'm sure of that.
Yeah, Amazon's in business to make money, and if they find they can get more from upselling ad removal than from ads, they'll be gone.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote