Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
Aradan
Aradan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aradan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aradan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aradan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
VNC in Boox M92

Hi,

is it possible to use the Onyx as an external screen for a laptop? I was reading previous posts, and I found this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=96

but I don't know how to run the .oar files in Linux. And it seems that the guides are more oriented in using Windows :/
I also read that it is necessary to install gserial https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...89&postcount=5

but when I do sh ().oar it gives me errors that some modules cannot be found.

MAybe installing Obuntu is the best option, but I wanted to know if there is an easier option like using VNC as I explained before.

Regards,
D
Aradan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
Aradan
Aradan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aradan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aradan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aradan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
I figured it out, how to make it work in Xubuntu 14.04

It is only needed to follow the instructions in the README of https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=96

The difference is that it is only necessary to execute the normal gserial .oar file from the Boox (not the gserial without getty). Then the device appears in Linux in /dev/ttyACM0
Then just execute Serial_VNC.oar and let it wait

Then it can be configured a vnc server using vnc4server using this guide http://www.namhuy.net/3106/install-v...ntu-14-04.html --> the most important is to make the ~/.vnc/xstartup file (it is not necessary to follow the instructions to make vnc start automatically) and the initialize the server in the terminal with

vnc4server -geometry 1200x825

Finally, in another terminal, type

sudo java -Dboox_serial_port=/dev/ttyACM0 -jar tightvnc-jviewer.jar -JpegImageQuality=Lossless

from the corresponding directory where the jar files are.
And that's it, I have a XFCE session in the M92 !!

I hope this helps to someone

Cheers,
D
Aradan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Thanks Aradan !
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m92, screen, vnc