Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
rnfuller
rnfuller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Why is the reader slower with Calibre books?

First off, let me say that I love Calibre. I works great, and I use both Windoze and Linux machines and I love that it is cross-platform.

One thing I have noticed, is if I load a book with Sony's ebook library software and then change the font from S to M on the reader, the change is extremely quick. On the other hand, if I used Calibre to load the book in the reader, the font size change takes a pretty long while.

Just wondering what the difference is?

Thanks for a great application!

Randy
rnfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
You've already identified the difference.

The Sony software preformats the books, Calibre does not. Therefore, calibre-loaded books go through the formatting phase on the Reader itself.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnfuller View Post
One thing I have noticed, is if I load a book with Sony's ebook library software and then change the font from S to M on the reader, the change is extremely quick. On the other hand, if I used Calibre to load the book in the reader, the font size change takes a pretty long while.
But, just to add to what Taylor said... this only happens once for each font size. Once the index is there for each book for that font it won't need to do this again.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
rnfuller
rnfuller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Thanks guys,

I can live with it that way because Calibre is so much better than the Sony software!

I don't guess there is any chance of Calibre to include the pre-format is there?

Is the pre-format a proprietary routine?

Randy
rnfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnfuller View Post
I don't guess there is any chance of Calibre to include the pre-format is there?
Kovid has basically said it would be too much work. But, he does accept patches.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote