Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Bigfoot Novels

Does anyone have recommendations for Bigfoot novele? Seroius ones, rather than satirical ones, that is. I haven't seen that many from bigger publishers in recent years, though I've come across a couple. They are usually not promoted as Nigfoot novels, so it's hard to find them except by accident.

I noticed a larger number of indie Bigfoot novels -- and I'm tempted to give the Eric Brown series a try. However, some of the indie books that came up when I searched Amazon looked ... Very very meh.

Seriously, indie authors, readers are not going to take you seriously if your cover looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Of-The-...592151&sr=1-38

And there are apparently 56 Bigfoot erotica novels in Amazon?...
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
OMG somebody has to submit that to the Lousy Book Covers blog!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
That has to be one of the cheesiest-looking covers I've ever seen - this hour.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for Bigfoot novele? Seroius ones, rather than satirical ones, that is. I haven't seen that many from bigger publishers in recent years, though I've come across a couple. They are usually not promoted as Nigfoot novels, so it's hard to find them except by accident.

I noticed a larger number of indie Bigfoot novels -- and I'm tempted to give the Eric Brown series a try. However, some of the indie books that came up when I searched Amazon looked ... Very very meh.

Seriously, indie authors, readers are not going to take you seriously if your cover looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Of-The-...592151&sr=1-38

That cover needs to be on a t-shirt or something, it's epic.

The Eric S. Brown Bigfoot War books are fun pulp horror.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I assume you're looking for fiction rather than serious cryptozoological non fiction?
As far as fiction goes, I've heard good things about the Eric Brown series already mentioned, but haven't read it myself.
Quote:

There's tons of 'em in the Kobo store too. I'm getting awfully sick of deleting them from my "Recommended Reads"! Isn't it fun when you've purchased "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science" and you get "Impregnated By Bigfoot" in your recommends?
:P
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
"Serious big foot novels"? What would that even be? Now I'm thinking of a big foot as the main character in a novel set in WW2 Germany and my mind is blown.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
That has to be one of the most scary things I've ever read.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Monster by Frank Peretti is one option. It is Frank Peretti so is a "Christian fiction" book, but I don't remember there being too much preaching (it has been a while though).

"Miles away from the hectic city, Reed and Rebecca hike into the beautiful Northwester woods. They are surrounded by gorgeous mountains, waterfalls, and hundreds of acres of unspoiled wilderness.

During their first night camping, an unearthly wail pierces the calm of the forest. Then something emerges from the dense woods. Everything that follows is a blur to Reed—except the unforgettable image of a huge creature carrying his wife into the darkness.

Enter into deep wilderness where the rules of civilization no longer apply. A world where strange shadows lurk. Where creatures long attributed to overactive imaginations and nightmares are the hunters . . .and people are the hunted."
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
That cover needs to be on a t-shirt or something, it's epic.

The Eric S. Brown Bigfoot War books are fun pulp horror.
They look like fun. I've been eying them up. Also, I noticed that he does a lot of promotions on Facebook, so I'll watch for discounts.

I like the reviews that complain they read too much like SyFy Channel movies. Uhm, isn't that the point? Then again, I'm older, so the first thing that came to my mind was movies like Grizzly and Day of the Animals. And The Prophecy, with the infamous scene of the camper in a sleeping bag trying to hop away from an attacking creature...
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Well, you know what they say about a guy with big feet...
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
Well, you know what they say about a guy with big feet...
Big shoes?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I assume you're looking for fiction rather than serious cryptozoological non fiction?
As far as fiction goes, I've heard good things about the Eric Brown series already mentioned, but haven't read it myself.
After reading the novels, I might want to read the nonfiction to wash the novels out of my brain. I used to read about Bigfoot and the like, when I wasyounger, but I gave up after "documentary" that Dad took me to see. I was probably looking at the wrong sources.

I did notice that I got better results when I looked for Sasquatch books instead. I might have added the "Legend Meets Science" one to my inbox because it sounded better.

Wow... That name gives me flashbacks to the Sasquatch episode of the Six Million Dollar Man. I looked it up on IMDB and learned that was Andre the Giant! He was perfectly cast for the "gentle giant" Sasquatch in that show

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
There's tons of 'em in the Kobo store too. I'm getting awfully sick of deleting them from my "Recommended Reads"! Isn't it fun when you've purchased "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science" and you get "Impregnated By Bigfoot" in your recommends?
:P
Yipes! I'll keep that in mind. And would that even be biologically possible? People give me a hard time because I'm writing a story about a dead guy who is going to marry a human woman, but at least they're the same species.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Monster by Frank Peretti is one option. It is Frank Peretti so is a "Christian fiction" book, but I don't remember there being too much preaching (it has been a while though)....
I've tried to read his novels and just can't get into them. That's too bad as I understand that his earlier novels are exciting and horrific enough that even people who hate most Christian novels liked them. Someday I'll manage.

On a completely unrelated note, I found out that there is a Kansas City death metal band named Troglodyte that specializes in Bigfoot-themed music. Here is one of their albums:
http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-to-Boggy-Creek-Explicit/dp/B0052GV9KM

Sadly, there aren't many reviews I could find except a couple of reviews on the Encyclopaedia Metallum site (one glowing and one meh). So if there are any fans of Troglodyte's music, please tell me where to find your reviews.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I enjoyed "Naked Came the Sasquatch" by John Boston. I think it's only available in paper, though, and probably only used. Anyway, the author is a humourist, so it isn't really serious, but the sasquatches are "real" in the book and central to the mystery.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
After reading the novels, I might want to read the nonfiction to wash the novels out of my brain. I used to read about Bigfoot and the like, when I was younger, but I gave up after "documentary" that Dad took me to see. I was probably looking at the wrong sources.
Serious cryptozoology (the study of hidden animals) has been a hobby of mine since I was a kid. I found an old battered copy of "On The Track of the Sasquatch" by John Green at a second hand store, or a garage sale. I've been hooked ever since. One of my most prized possessions is an 1959 edition of "On The Trail Of Unknown Animals" by Bernard Heuvelmans, which is widely (and by widely, I mean widely in the cryptozoology scene) regarded as the baseline to which all other books of its type are judged.

If you'd like to try some serious non fiction, I recommend the following books (available in ebook format)

-Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science by Dr. Jeff Meldrum
-Bigfoot!: The True Story of Apes in America by Loren Coleman.

Quote:
Wow... That name gives me flashbacks to the Sasquatch episode of the Six Million Dollar Man. I looked it up on IMDB and learned that was Andre the Giant! He was perfectly cast for the "gentle giant" Sasquatch in that show
Made me chuckle, the Six Million Dollar Man was a bit before my time, but I remember the Sasquatch episode of MacGyver quite well...
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote