Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #616
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Okay, the Jailbreak for 5.1.2 (data.stgz file) worked. I have a "You are Jailbroken" book now.

I may have the ONLY jailbroken Paperwhite in existence! Cool!
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #617
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The pastebin in the first post now contains paperwhite firmware images. I did not get around to changing the root password to the mario hash, so the pw is fiona2bc on this one. I will eventually replace it with mario and re-upload it when I get around to it...
Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #618
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The pastebin in the first post now contains paperwhite firmware images. I did not get around to changing the root password to the mario hash, so the pw is fiona2bc on this one. I will eventually replace it with mario and re-upload it when I get around to it...
Could you grab a copy of the first bit of mmcblk0 (with u-boot and other system stuff) and PM me a link to it please?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #619
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm...
Dropbear is installed in the main image.
Default iptables does not allow port 22 inbound from wifi but makes no restrictions on traffic over usb0 (usbnet).

@GM: You might check if a "stock" Kpw will let you get usbnet running in 'main' - then ssh access should "just work". No JB required (unless required to get usbnet started).

- - - -
Edit:
Consider this post "excessive whitespace" - I should know you already have a six month or more backlog of things you want to try out already (and this is probably one of them).
Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #620
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
FYI: I mirrored the images on http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PaperWhite/
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #621
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: It isn't, that's a result of the simple_usbnet hack.

That's the first thing I checked on my 5.1 when I got it, and the first thing I asked GM to run . No dropbear (binaries) on a vanilla one .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #622
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: It isn't, that's a result of the simple_usbnet hack.

That's the first thing I checked on my 5.1 when I got it, and the first thing I asked GM to run . No dropbear (binaries) on a vanilla one .
GM's change notice only mentioned not changing the password.

He did not list any changes he made in the image, if any.
I could not see his keyboard from where I sit, I had to go by what he wrote.

Thanks for the update/correction.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #623
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
GM's change notice only mentioned not changing the password.

He did not list any changes he made in the image, if any.
I could not see his keyboard from where I sit, I had to go by what he wrote.

Thanks for the update/correction.
Yeah, most of the discussion leading up to the successful jailbreak was conducted via PM (an "inner circle" of sorts, I suppose).

So far, there is no apparent way to boot diags, unless we can figure out how to get USB Downloader mode working. The only thing that worked was to install the jailbreak and usbNet package, so they are in the debricking repair images.

EDIT: I added a pastebin comment showing that mmcblk0p1 contains JB+SSH.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-05-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #624
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrizzo View Post
I confirm that a discharged battery prevents ATK from working reliably.
After wasting a few hours trying to reflash a K3 (usual symptoms: dead with the screen with the tree, orange light stays on forever, does not seem to recharge, etc.) I opened the back and tested the battery. Voltage which is down to 3.1-3.2v, charging does not seem to work, I am unsure why (bad battery or bad charging circuitry).

To proceed, I connected some AA batteries (2NiMh + 1 alkaline, giving around 3.9v) to the battery connector (see picture )

Now I can reliably write the filesystem into the flash is progressing. I have not completed yet (in 45 minutes have done about 2/3 of the progress bar) but previously it would fail with an error within a minute or less.
Totally awesome! I am very happy to know that you can run a K3 without an amazon-approved battery. I just upped your karma to all 2's (adding an extra digit).

And I added your success report to the first post. It just keeps growing.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-07-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #625
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbebothered View Post
This might be a bit off-topic considering the debricking method mentioned here, but this seems like the best place to post it.

A few times, I've bricked my kindle (5.12) and come accros an unusal debricking method. This is for when your kindle is stuck at the tree screen.

1.Do a hard reset. If this makes any change to the screen, do it again. Repeat until nothing interesting happens.

2. Hold the home button and the power button down simultaneously for 20 seconds. Repeat until nothing happens to the screen.

3. Repeat step 1.

4. Repeat step 2.

5. Blah blah blah.

If this doesn't work for you, maybe my kindle's just weird.
If it restarts after a hard reset, it is not really "bricked". Many devices need a hard reset or power cycling when they lock up. Debricking usually involves writing to the flash memory in the device.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #626
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster
@icantbebothered: How did you get so much multi-mega-karma, with the vast majority of your posts in the "Unutterably Silly" thread, and having only been a MobileRead member for a couple of months now? Please provide a link to your most spectacular post that got you the largest karma donation. I really want to know. [/COLOR]
Erm…

What I do know is that if you look in the unuterably silly section, practically everybody has over 8-digit karma.
My karma went from 2600(god knows how I got even there) to 245300 just because I posted a fairly amusing joke about schrodinger's cat.
I also got 4000000 karma point things for startig a thread

But I wouldn't call either of those posts spectacular. Maybe people just like penguins (you have to examine a particular unutterably silly post about chickens to make sense of that.)

You can rest in peace though, because I put my extensive karma to goodish use: I recently almost doubled baf's karma.
Maybe he thought it was a glitch.

Sorry.
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #627
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I added this, and individual image links, to the pastebin. I also added a link for your diags SSH update at the bottom.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #628
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
Quote:

I may have the ONLY jailbroken Paperwhite in existence! Cool!
Oh, and no.
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #629
geekmaster

Quote:
Erm…

What I do know is that if you look in the unuterably silly section, practically everybody has over 8-digit karma.
My karma went from 2600(god knows how I got even there) to 245300 just because I posted a fairly amusing joke about schrodinger's cat.
I also got 4000000 karma point things for startig a thread

But I wouldn't call either of those posts spectacular. Maybe people just like penguins (you have to examine a particular unutterably silly post about chickens to make sense of that.)

You can rest in peace though, because I put my extensive karma to goodish use: I recently almost doubled baf's karma.
Maybe he thought it was a glitch.

Sorry.
I bump people from noob karma (such as 10) to 2600 when I see that they posted something that adds value (hacks or documentation) to the kindles. So that 2600 was from me.

The bulk of my karma came from humorous posts in the parent (general) forum. Only a small part of it comes from the "starving artists" in this forum. In fact, I have added extra digits to the karma of most of the developers here, so we can begin to compete with the megakarma "funny" people in the other forums.

I like karma, so give me some already!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #630
geekmaster

Quote:
Oh, and no.
It was probably true when I posted it. Who else has a jailbroken Paperwhite now? Judging by Brian Benchoff's comments at hackaday, it seems he may have written that after jailbreaking his Paperwhite (if he has one). Or he is just good at writing as though he did experience it.

Is yours jailbroken yet?

Tags
debricking